Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-21-2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
EZ drill looks like a good deal. I have a Clam, Makita and Normark hand drill all rigged up and it works very well. Only reason I bought the Clam was I had the drill and hand auger and the clam was 50% off. If I was to buy it all separately/ new I think I would buy a gas auger instead, less $$ and more power. Your Milwaukee fuel drills are Cadillac units and will work very well with the EZ drill.
Funny you mention that was thinking about this very thing. E augers are touching up near 1000 now. You can buy a gas auger for what - 350 bucks? There is a lot of advantages to electric augers but if you aren't concerned with the noise or the fumes kinda makes a fellow think for a second.

Will add that with the pre mixed fuels nowadays gas augers aren't quite the pain in the rump they used to be. I run tru fuel or stihl moto mix in my gas augers and it's pretty convenient to be honest. Don't summerize anything just fire them up when winter comes. Low smoke just noisy lol.

Last edited by OL_JR; 01-21-2022 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:26 PM

I've ordered a few tools from Atlas and have been very happy with their price, service and obviously with the tool. Mind you I knew exactly what I was ordering and got what I got.

That Home Depot deal that Huy posted is the same as Atlas. That's a sweet deal. You can probably go to Calgary Fastener and KMS tools too who will price match. The nice thing about buying local is getting to see and hold the tool. Also read where it is made. Supporting local is good too.

https://www.atlas-machinery.com/shop...h_query=dcd999
Old 01-22-2022, 11:33 AM

Great video. One thing to note when tightening the chuck is that there is a lock feature. At least on the Milwaukee, you have to tighten the chuck all the way then loosen it about a quarter turn until it clicks. I used to have the auger fall off all the time before i learned this and now it stays tight all day

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2022, 11:59 AM

Hmm...lot is issue I had with the video. Namely comparing a 18/20/24 volt system to a 36/40/60 volt system is not fair. First of all 18/20/24 volt systems are all the same. As are the newer 36/40/60 vols. It's how the manufacturer choose to name their system.

Having said that, 40 volt systems are the future of high torque, high power, high current tools. Cordless drills not so much but lawnmowers, chainsaw, blowers, and saws will see the most benefit. These high end drills will probably not exceed more than the 1200+ in-lbs of torque as it needs to draw a lot of current from the 20 v battery in order to produce this torque. On a 40 v system, one is able to produce the same power half the current.

So to compare a 40v Metabo/Hitachi drill to the 18/20/24 v Milwaukee and DeWalt is not fair. Of course it is going to win. All the major tool manufacturers have recently introduce 36/40/60v system and drills. If you want a fair comparison compare 40 v system to 40 v system.

Most dedicated battery powered ice augers are 36/40/60v for a good reason.

As for chucks I found that DeWalt and Makita all metal chucks to be the best. They just hold. Milwaukee is OK on their higher end stuff but the midrange chucks sucks. A chuck is the most important part of a drill for me. Nothing more frustrating than on a 20 foot ladder drilling and the bit let go or wobbles because the chuck let go.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodhead View Post
Great video. One thing to note when tightening the chuck is that there is a lock feature. At least on the Milwaukee, you have to tighten the chuck all the way then loosen it about a quarter turn until it clicks. I used to have the auger fall off all the time before i learned this and now it stays tight all day

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
The Dewalt is also the exact same. Turn it back a quarter turn till it clicks and you're golden!

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-22-2022, 12:43 PM

Well after reading countless pages and much like cigar guy is saying I went with metabo. I needed a new drill for projects coming up and still have a good but underpowered 12 volt dewalt. I figured to jump over 20v and got to 40v well 36 with metabo. Thanks got the drill 2, 4 amp hour batteries and charger from Lowe’s for 380 with tax it came to 405.

Most of the stronger 20v dewalts, Milwaukee, mskita with 2 batteries and a charger, we’re coming between 275-350. Most of the combo kits or ones on sale are the models with lower torque, so I skipped up and feel okay about the extra money. Will try it out tomorrow. Overkill for auger? Prolly, but I’ve got hopefully a good drill for a big project on the farm this summer too.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Funny you mention that was thinking about this very thing. E augers are touching up near 1000 now. You can buy a gas auger for what - 350 bucks? There is a lot of advantages to electric augers but if you aren't concerned with the noise or the fumes kinda makes a fellow think for a second.

Will add that with the pre mixed fuels nowadays gas augers aren't quite the pain in the rump they used to be. I run tru fuel or stihl moto mix in my gas augers and it's pretty convenient to be honest. Don't summerize anything just fire them up when winter comes. Low smoke just noisy lol.
Good call on the fuel, gotta get me some.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:12 PM

What blades does the Cabelas e-z drill take? Looks like any Eskimo 8", (including Pistol Bit & ION) blades would work.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:56 AM

Thumbs up

Tried out the 36 v metabo with woods auger on Sunday..... like budda
Old 01-24-2022, 08:04 PM

So I ended up not getting the EZ drill, instead I found that Crappy Tire sells a really good drill holder/auger adapter by Woods. See attached pic. I mounted my 1200 in lb Milwaukee M18 drill and fitted the adapter to my old Mora 8” hand auger screw. For $60 and tax I ended up with a great electric ice auger. I test drilled a few holes today and it cuts at least as fast as my gas Jiffy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AA542479-E420-4D34-9434-EA7FDC63DEEA.jpg (14.3 KB, 55 views)
Old 01-24-2022, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
So I ended up not getting the EZ drill, instead I found that Crappy Tire sells a really good drill holder/auger adapter by Woods. See attached pic. I mounted my 1200 in lb Milwaukee M18 drill and fitted the adapter to my old Mora 8” hand auger screw. For $60 and tax I ended up with a great electric ice auger. I test drilled a few holes today and it cuts at least as fast as my gas Jiffy.
This is a very good buy!! much better then those tiny adapters. Me and a friend were using one of the small adapters and we lost the auger bit down the hole. The adapter twisted and broke in half leaving a little metal nub in the drill chuck.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-24-2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
This is a very good buy!! much better then those tiny adapters. Me and a friend were using one of the small adapters and we lost the auger bit down the hole. The adapter twisted and broke in half leaving a little metal nub in the drill chuck.
I was actually looking up one of those stub adapters on the CT website when the Woods unit popped up. I have fabrication capabilities, but buying this thing saved about a day’s work! It’s a solid piece of gear.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
I was actually looking up one of those stub adapters on the CT website when the Woods unit popped up. I have fabrication capabilities, but buying this thing saved about a day’s work! It’s a solid piece of gear.
Yes, I had an Eskimo 6" auger on mine for 2 years before i upgraded to the full Woods E-drill, great unit!
Old 01-29-2022, 08:02 PM

Default Ice drill torture test

Today in the Huyfishing tradition I torture tested my Woods adapter/ Mora 8” hand auger conversion powered by a Milwaukee 2804-20 drill and a 4 year old 5.0 amp hour battery. Temp was -12c, battery was left in the cold. I drilled 10 holes thru 16” of hard ice while fishing. Then I decided to see just how many more holes the drill would cut on the one battery…so I finished another 14 holes rapid fire and got partway thru 15- for a total of 24 finished holes. That’s 384” of 8” hole on one battery. I was astounded.