Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2018, 09:25 AM

Default Double AA and Triple A Batteries

Just wondering about what quality/brand batteries everybody uses in average things ...ie ... remotes , flashlites , electronic tools...stud finders, lazor levels etc

What about more important things like rangefinders, or GPS units etc ?

Or high use items such as kids toys etc ?

Are you loyal to a peculiar brand , or whatever is on sale ?

Does anybody use the Kirkland ones from costco ? What your experince with those ?

Do you trust that a battery can be fine sitting for several years and still be as good as new ?

What about rechargeables ?

Any work better or worse in the cold or really cold temps ?

Do you keep a flashlight in your vehicle year round ?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2018, 09:38 AM

I buy the 48 packs of AA Duracell at Costco, They seem to be the best bang for the buck and if you can get them on sale, Triple A's are far more expensive so I try and NOT have anything that requires them
Old 11-17-2018, 09:46 AM

All the AA and AAA Duracells from Costco will start leaking in about 2 years. Not worth it anymore. No leakage from Kirkland yet. I am moving to rechargeables as far as I can.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:09 AM

I use Duracell Quantums for trail cams and anywhere I need long term continuous use. Have never had a problem with leaking on Duracell but did experience leakage on Eveready a couple of times. I use cheapie house brand batteries in my photo equipment where I consider them disposable – use for one session and throw away.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:12 AM

Love the red Duracell quantum’s, seem to last forever.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:16 AM

Energizer Lithium (the blue pack)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2018, 11:00 AM

Energizer Lithium in my GPS, truck flashlight, camera and outside temperature sensors anywhere it's cold.
Dick smith AA from Princess auto for remotes, clocks etc. haven't had any leak yet, 40 for $10 on sale the AC Delco are good too

AC Delco AAA for anything that takes those

9V Energizers in the smoke detectors
Old 11-17-2018, 11:03 AM

For AA's I use the Duracell rechargeable kits from Costco, I have 3 of those kits and a few more rechargeable batteries from of all places IKEA as their price was very good. Note that IKEA have two types of rechargeable AA's, some with a lower milliamp hour rating (100 or 1500 IIRC) and some with a rating that virtually paralleled the Duracells (2450 vs 2500 milliamp hours). You could feel the weight difference between the two different 4-packs. One thing I like about rechargeables is that they don't leak and ruin your device like standard batteries can. A few trashed flashlights and electronics teach you the hard way.

For my service van I keep my batteries in holders made by Storacell that I've found both at Lee Valley Tools and 911 Supply, they help prevent shorting and discharge in my tool chests. The other thing I do with the Storacell holders with my rechargeable batteries is that I put the discharged batteries into them backwards so that its easy to discern charged cells from dead ones and I can view at a glance when I have 4 or more depleted cells to put in the charger. https://storacell.net/

I also buy standard Duracell or Energizer batteries as service van inventory for clients whose thermostat batteries may have died. .

Last edited by CaberTosser; 11-17-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:50 AM

I had a set of Enegizer Batteries leak in a LED mag light. Energizer replaced the light. Both Duracell and Energizer warrant no leak. If the do put in a claim.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:54 AM

Have lots of needs for batteries in both AA ans AAA used duracell mostly.
To much leakage problems with duracarp. Using Energizer the last 4-5 years and no leakage!!! Duracell cost me lots replacing stuff.

If I have to use duracell I remove them after use, but prefer to not use them at all.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I had a set of Enegizer Batteries leak in a LED mag light. Energizer replaced the light. Both Duracell and Energizer warrant no leak. If the do put in a claim.
I once did this and had two ruined Maglights before I learned of the policy. I jumped through the hoops and was told I was going to get a gift card in the mail to replace my damaged flashlights (one I had initially started with maglight as it was the original batteries included with it that leaked and corroded and would not even drop free out of the light). Anyways, that gift card never showed up in the mail, it made me wonder if the postal system had a rogue employee with an rfid scanner grabbing their 'bonus' or if the thing even ever got mailed.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:23 PM

I started using these two this year, the panasonic's are better but the amazon ones are so cheap, so I have a blend.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-17-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I had two ruined Maglights before I learned of the policy.
I also had a ruined Maglite before I learned of the policy.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:40 PM

I use to buy hundreds of AA, AAA and other size batteries every year for work. Bought through a wholsaler on line and saved significant $$ on every purchase. Started out buying the name brand, then swithced to their house brands after some testing showed them to be just as good. They were made by one of the big names and packaged for the wholesaler in their colors. Easy to find on-line and usually ship for free on a big enough order.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:18 PM

My best experience has been with Eneloop rechargeables. Use them in everything that takes a battery now. One kit I bought came with adapters that will adapt the AA size to C or D. Work like a charm. Costco and Amazon both sell them.

https://www.costco.ca/Eneloop-Charge...100128597.html
Old 11-17-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBI View Post
Just wondering about what quality/brand batteries everybody uses in average things ...ie ... remotes , flashlites , electronic tools...stud finders, lazor levels etc

What about more important things like rangefinders, or GPS units etc ?

Or high use items such as kids toys etc ?

Are you loyal to a peculiar brand , or whatever is on sale ?

Does anybody use the Kirkland ones from costco ? What your experince with those ?

Do you trust that a battery can be fine sitting for several years and still be as good as new ?

What about rechargeables ?

Any work better or worse in the cold or really cold temps ?

Do you keep a flashlight in your vehicle year round ?

Thanks

Avoid the walmart batteries if you're going to leave them in anything for a spell. They leak and it was a pain getting the batteries out of 2 maglites, and LED Lenser, and a few other flashlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
For AA's I use the Duracell rechargeable kits from Costco, I have 3 of those kits and a few more rechargeable batteries from of all places IKEA as their price was very good. Note that IKEA have two types of rechargeable AA's, some with a lower milliamp hour rating (100 or 1500 IIRC) and some with a rating that virtually paralleled the Duracells (2450 vs 2500 milliamp hours). You could feel the weight difference between the two different 4-packs. One thing I like about rechargeables is that they don't leak and ruin your device like standard batteries can. A few trashed flashlights and electronics teach you the hard way.

For my service van I keep my batteries in holders made by Storacell that I've found both at Lee Valley Tools and 911 Supply, they help prevent shorting and discharge in my tool chests. The other thing I do with the Storacell holders with my rechargeable batteries is that I put the discharged batteries into them backwards so that its easy to discern charged cells from dead ones and I can view at a glance when I have 4 or more depleted cells to put in the charger. https://storacell.net/

I also buy standard Duracell or Energizer batteries as service van inventory for clients whose thermostat batteries may have died. .
The MGM Case boxes for 243 fit AA, and the ones for 223 fit the AAA nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipper Billy View Post
I also had a ruined Maglite before I learned of the policy.
I damaged 2 of the 6 D cell battery ones. The damage cleaned out with vinegar and a rod with a cloth on it and a long circular brush chucked in a drill. Still using the lights. I had 3 cells leak and one erupt in one of the flashlights. 4 out of 6 cells damaged. No more walmart brand batteries for me.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:27 PM

I lost two trail cams from cheapo Duracell’s, had no idea of their policy
Old 11-17-2018, 10:43 PM

Every test I have ever seen done on battery costs verses length of usage, said buy the cheapest for the greatest number of batteries in a package you can find. Individually they might not last as long but you get a lot more of them which makes up the difference and then some. Saw this on a couple of different TV shows and read it I think in a consumer magazine.

Jim
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."
Old 11-17-2018, 10:47 PM

For YouTube viewers who might know AvE's chanel, he tested a variety of batteries and Costco's Kirklands came out on top in terms of value. He would measure their voltage output under load and how long they would last.

Another thing that IKEA had was AA (and perhaps others) chargers that are very inexpensive and plug into a USB outlet which is nice as I can charge them on my dashboard.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S49248580/

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70303876/
Old 11-18-2018, 12:06 AM

That’s interesting about Kirkland batteries. Will have to start using those. For rechargeable I use the IKEA ones. I read somewhere that they are eneloop batteries with ikea stickers on them.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:20 AM

I've heard great things about the Eneloop batteries and am considering switching over to them, however the cost of entry is hight. Are they worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr4evr View Post
My best experience has been with Eneloop rechargeables. Use them in everything that takes a battery now. One kit I bought came with adapters that will adapt the AA size to C or D. Work like a charm. Costco and Amazon both sell them.

https://www.costco.ca/Eneloop-Charge...100128597.html
Old 11-18-2018, 07:18 AM
Banned

I picked up some rechargeable batteries for the range finders on clearance at Sport Chek a couple of years ago. I have also started buying the Ikea rechargeable AA and AAA batteries. I haven't tried them in any high draw stuff yet but they've been working great in X Box controllers and they aren't expensive. I am going to need some first my TV remote soon. My 10 year old Duracell rechargeable have almost bit it.

For flashlights I only use alkaline. Normally it's Energizer Industrials because they'll give them to me at work and I'm not greedy with them, and I'm telling them why I'm grabbing some. But if I buy them, it's probably Duracell.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:57 AM

CT has Energizer AA and AAA batteries on sale. $11.99 for 30 AA and 20 AAA. Even cheaper than the 48 count Duracells on sale right now.