Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-04-2018, 09:20 PM

Default new and old conibears

I've got some rusty conibears and some brand new ones.

I've boiled them in baking soda and the grease and rust has all come off.

I was curious if anyone spray paints their conibears with a rust paint instead of dying them?
Old 11-04-2018, 10:02 PM
Banned

I tried spray painting my footholds for muskrats on float sets and I wasn’t happy with them. Loading, unloading and handling them ends up scratching them all up and they rust at the scratches. So, either you touch them up with spray paint every year after you paint them or just dye them every year. I find dying them every year much quicker and easier.

I use speed dip with camp fuel and save what’s left for next season. If you do decide to paint, read the labels on the can. Tremclad and rustoleum seem to be popular but you have to use primer first for one but not the other. I can’t remember which is which.

I’ve heard a lot about a product called Full Metal Jacket. I’ve never used it but it’s worth checking out.

Last edited by HunterDave; 11-04-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I tried spray painting my footholds for muskrats on float sets and I wasn’t happy with them. Loading, unloading and handling them ends up scratching them all up and they rust at the scratches. So, either you touch them up with spray paint every year after you paint them or just dye them every year. I find dying them every year much quicker and easier.

I use speed dip with camp fuel and save what’s left for next season. If you do decide to paint, read the labels on the can. Tremclad and rustoleum seem to be popular but you have to use primer first for one but not the other. I can’t remember which is which.

I’ve heard a lot about a product called Full Metal Jacket. I’ve never used it but it’s worth checking out.
I have used full metal jacket on foot holds. That is the only year I ever had foot holds dug up by coyote/wolf. ITs the only year I had animals walk around my foot holds or stop and turn around. I will never use it on foot holds again. I emailed the company and they said I didn't air the traps out long enough to let them cure and have the smell leave. I aired them out double what the can instructions said.

All that being said, I don't know if I would use full metal jacket on conibears either. It would make the dog really sketchy and slick. Could be an accident waiting to happen.