Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2015, 11:58 AM

Default 2 people dead after stabbing @ a camp near Fox Creek

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/06/3...d-and-arrested

This is not very far from where I am working right now as I type this....

Condolences to the victims families..
Old 06-30-2015, 12:02 PM

Default NDP knife ban!!

My condolences to their families.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:06 PM

I know people can get irritable while cooped up at work and camp for long periods, but that's no excuse for something this horrible...... Thoughts are with the families and loved ones of the deceased. I'm hoping no youngsters just lost a parent......

Curious about the time it happened, was the person up late and drinking or on drugs? A night crew would already have been on shift..... or was it the camp staff involved rather than guests?
Old 06-30-2015, 01:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I know people can get irritable while cooped up at work and camp for long periods, but that's no excuse for something this horrible...... Thoughts are with the families and loved ones of the deceased. I'm hoping no youngsters just lost a parent......

Curious about the time it happened, was the person up late and drinking or on drugs? A night crew would already have been on shift..... or was it the camp staff involved rather than guests?
And so close to the Berland River where a guy could go fishing.

Good questions CT.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:14 PM
Banned

Sad ... my condolence's to friend's and family of the victim's.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:43 PM

Was a stones throw from there today, lots of cops out and about...

This kinda thing hits really close to home for lots of us who spend time in camp.

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 06-30-2015, 07:19 PM

Heard it on the radio today, and then an hour later talked to one of the fellows who works for me....he was falling apart because one of the victims was his brother in law. His wife is falling apart over it....He told me that his BIL had told the boss not to hire the guy, that there was something off about him....absolutely tragic.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-30-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Heard it on the radio today, and then an hour later talked to one of the fellows who works for me....he was falling apart because one of the victims was his brother in law. His wife is falling apart over it....He told me that his BIL had told the boss not to hire the guy, that there was something off about him....absolutely tragic.
God that's horrible.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:25 PM

Very, very sad.
Condolences to the 2 men's families.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:01 PM

Sad day.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:17 PM

Never expected when something this terrible happens. Thoughts are with the families.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:06 PM

Thoughts and prayers go to family so so tragic just working to make a living and end up like this. Total tragedy
Old 07-02-2015, 02:01 PM

Hits close to home in this little burg. Mom of the stabbed lady lives a stone throw away. Needless to say this is utter devastaion to both families. Its a very close family so Mom has support and she'll certainly get more here when she returns. Her sister passed last year and now this senseless act and losing a daughter. RIP to both victims.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:56 PM

Feel terrible for the victims and their families. Not to sound insensitive or try to justify what happened. But I've worked in camp with crews that enjoyed tormenting their new hires way beyond what should be acceptable. When your hundreds of miles from civilisation and the only people you deal with treat you like an animal for 21 days straight... not saying this was the case in this specific instance... to me its surprising that things like this don't happen more often.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Feel terrible for the victims and their families. Not to sound insensitive or try to justify what happened. But I've worked in camp with crews that enjoyed tormenting their new hires way beyond what should be acceptable. When your hundreds of miles from civilisation and the only people you deal with treat you like an animal for 21 days straight... not saying this was the case in this specific instance... to me its surprising that things like this don't happen more often.
For the time I've spent working up north in work camps I have not experienced any bullying take place. Rig crews may by different though.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayD View Post
For the time I've spent working up north in work camps I have not experienced any bullying take place. Rig crews may by different though.
Ya, most of my worst days happened on a service rig. When I started I was the target, by the time I quit I was dishing it out with the worst of them. With the wrong people, on the wrong day, in the wrong mood my mind could end up in some pretty dark places. Some people I met... a wireliner with a lazy eye, a derrick hand with a bad stutter, a tong hand with an abnormaly high voice, they got treated so badly by certain crews that if they would have showed up to work with a shotgun I'd have darn near shook their hand before they mowed us all down.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:32 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Purely speculation as to why this individual went wonky. Could have been anywhere in any occupation. Sad for those who are affected by this.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-02-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Purely speculation as to why this individual went wonky. Could have been anywhere in any occupation. Sad for those who are affected by this.
Yea, I talked to several people who live in the area and the rumour is that it was someone who actually worked at the camp that did the killing but you know rumours are just that.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvercreek View Post
Yea, I talked to several people who live in the area and the rumour is that it was someone who actually worked at the camp that did the killing but you know rumours are just that.
Considering the time of night and the fact that a knife was used it could well have been kitchen staff....
Old 07-02-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Considering the time of night and the fact that a knife was used it could well have been kitchen staff....
Story I heard was it was the cook
Old 07-02-2015, 08:42 PM
Gone Hunting

Not much news on this after a couple days.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-02-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Story I heard was it was the cook
Good possibility. Seen some pretty scary people working in pti camps. Seemed to me they were hiding from something.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Good possibility. Seen some pretty scary people working in pti camps. Seemed to me they were hiding from something.
You mean campies and cooks aren't all the fine upstanding citizens they appear to be?
Old 07-02-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
You mean campies and cooks aren't all the fine upstanding citizens they appear to be?
Rig camps were good but those open camps were freaky. Last one I was in was down on the naraway. Cook looked like he slithered out from under a rock.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Ya, most of my worst days happened on a service rig. When I started I was the target, by the time I quit I was dishing it out with the worst of them. With the wrong people, on the wrong day, in the wrong mood my mind could end up in some pretty dark places. Some people I met... a wireliner with a lazy eye, a derrick hand with a bad stutter, a tong hand with an abnormaly high voice, they got treated so badly by certain crews that if they would have showed up to work with a shotgun I'd have darn near shook their hand before they mowed us all down.
Yuck. Would rather work at minimum wage than be subjected to that kind of treatment on a daily basis. Why rig culture allow such bullying and harrassment is beyond me. They should implement some anti bullying policies before someone really does show up with a bloody shotgun.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:49 PM

Heard from a good source the killer was having a campfire and when told to put it out freaked out and attacked him/her with a knife. Along with with another person who tried to help. Condolences to the families involved

Last edited by lilsundance; 07-02-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yuck. Would rather work at minimum wage than be subjected to that kind of treatment on a daily basis. Why rig culture allow such bullying and harrassment is beyond me. They should implement some anti bullying policies before someone really does show up with a bloody shotgun.

It’s only allowed if you permit it.

That is the simple answer.

The blame should be directed to us.

When you address issues resolution is bases on reported events.

How events are measured or acted on will be dependent on records.

Condolences for all in the circle.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Most, if not all, service company have some form of anti harassment policy, doesn't mean people will follow it.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbuckchallenger View Post
Heard from a good source the killer was having a campfire and when told to put it out freaked out and attacked him/her with a knife. Along with with another person who tried to help. Condolences to the families involved
interesting first post. Welcome.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:25 AM

Update:

28 year old Daniel Goodridge of Edmonton is facing one count of first degree murder, one count of second degree murder, multiple accounts of assault with a weapon and one count of interfering with human remains.

One of the victims is a 37 year old male from Lacrete and the second is a 50 year old woman from Red Deer.

Goodridge will appear in court July 27th