Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2015, 10:22 PM

Default Power Boating and Bush Camping

Hello all ! I am a new member of the form but have followed many of the posts and threads for some time now. I am an avid outdoors man and really enjoy quading, camping and hunting !

I recently purchased a boat and I am now curious if there is any public land that you can legally camp on that is on or close to water where power boats are allowed ?

I am not a fan of campgrounds at all and never camp in them unless its for winter camping or ball tournaments. I know lots of good areas to camp that are in the bush and great for quadding but now that I have a boat I want to find legal bush camping areas that are on water or at least close to water where power boating is allowed. I am looking for land that is withing 2 hours of Calgary but would travel farther if needed.

One fellow I spoke with while I was boat shopping said there was an area on Little Bow lake where you can bush camp as people hes knows have done it beofre ? Does anybody know if this is true ?

The ultimate goal would be to find land that you can camp on that is on a lake and you can quad from !

I would even be interested in campgrounds that offer boating and quadding right from the campground. Any ideas ?

I have looked up all the PLUZ zones maps and it does not seem that any of these offer Bush camping on or near water but maybe im mistaken ? Does anybody know how to access maps online of all the forestry land use zones ? I can not seem to find the FLUZ maps only the PLUZ maps.

Thanks, any info or advice would be much appreciated !
Old 05-08-2015, 07:50 AM

Albertans, they have such large footprints.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:22 AM

Check out Sikome Lake.....More isolated than Lake Bonvista
Old 05-08-2015, 11:38 AM

Not quite sure what your referring to Winged1 but I am actually NS born and raised and I can assure you my footprint may be big but its with the utmost respect for the outdoors and leaves a clean trail !
Old 05-08-2015, 11:39 AM

Johnny Thanks for the info but all the lakes in the city do not allow power boating. Looking to get out away from the city to the outdoors !
Old 05-08-2015, 11:59 AM

Don't know where you are located but from what you described Koocanusa would fit the bill closely. Great fishing all around the lake with everything from Bass to Bulltrout. Lots for the ATV crowd and many great people in the area who enjoy the same activities as yourself. It does get busy on weekends especially the long ones but there is a lot of water available so it does not feel that crowded while out on the water. Might be a bit of a drive for you but if you went once I think you would return. Most of the license plates you see in the area are Wildrose plates.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:26 PM

There is also the waterton res and there is quadding just south of it.
You will have to ignore many on this forum as it is spring and according to them quads are destroying everything and if you dare to ride them then you are going to wreck the entire eastern slopes. lol
Old 05-09-2015, 10:29 PM

Start west of dickson dam.
To my knowledge you can drive your boat quite deep into the mountains. Take a final pit stop in sundre for fuel or what have you.
Then its all crown land starting 16 kilometers upstream of sundre.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearwhisper View Post
Hello all ! I am a new member of the form but have followed many of the posts and threads for some time now. I am an avid outdoors man and really enjoy quading, camping and hunting !

I recently purchased a boat and I am now curious if there is any public land that you can legally camp on that is on or close to water where power boats are allowed ?

I am not a fan of campgrounds at all and never camp in them unless its for winter camping or ball tournaments. I know lots of good areas to camp that are in the bush and great for quadding but now that I have a boat I want to find legal bush camping areas that are on water or at least close to water where power boating is allowed. I am looking for land that is withing 2 hours of Calgary but would travel farther if needed.

One fellow I spoke with while I was boat shopping said there was an area on Little Bow lake where you can bush camp as people hes knows have done it beofre ? Does anybody know if this is true ?

The ultimate goal would be to find land that you can camp on that is on a lake and you can quad from !

I would even be interested in campgrounds that offer boating and quadding right from the campground. Any ideas ?

I have looked up all the PLUZ zones maps and it does not seem that any of these offer Bush camping on or near water but maybe im mistaken ? Does anybody know how to access maps online of all the forestry land use zones ? I can not seem to find the FLUZ maps only the PLUZ maps.

Thanks, any info or advice would be much appreciated !
FLUZ~Forestry Land Use Zone is now known as PLUZ~Public Land Use Zone. Just a name change

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing

Tags
boating, bush camping, quadding