Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-07-2009, 08:43 PM

Default Youth bow questions

I'm looking to get my 10 year old started. I'd like a compound bow for him to practice with. He won't be hunting for a couple of years so something easy, accurate, simple, and durable is what I'm looking for. No toy crap.

I've been reading up on the Bear Brave warrior II. Has anyone had any experience with this bow. Also, any suggestions for other similar product out there ?
Old 02-07-2009, 08:46 PM

I reccommend the razer egde. ood luck
Old 02-08-2009, 08:46 AM

We just yesterday spent a couple hours at Island Outfitters in Victoria, where JoAnne the Bow Pro there helped us get my son (10 years old) tuned in. We discussed a few different bows, but the Bow Tech Razor /Razors Edge ended up being the focus.
(This bow was also discussed quite a bit on this forum last week, as we asked the same question)
After measuring his draw length and strength, it took her approx. 10 minutes to tune the Razors Edge in to suit him. She left the draw at 35 lbs, as he just barely pulls 40lbs now, as she wanted him to practise the anchor and breathe, instead of grunt and shake with his max.

Out back of the shop, (Yes we are fortunate to shoot outside the shop on Vancouver Island + 6C in early Feb) Jo helped him with his first few shots with a compound, and was in the bull after his first two. The Razors Edge made next to no sound, and was easy for him to start with. I don't know about other youth size bows on the market, but this one is a sweet little package that will be versitile and adjustable enough (up to 60#) for many years as my boy grows.

Approx. $675 for package with doz Arrows, top quality release and taxes was the quote.

My son has been selling his flies in my Tackle Shop for a couple years now, and does not seem apprehensive to spend some of his loot on this particular Bow.
N.B. He and I did a fair bit of research on-line for youth models, but this is the only one we shot.
Kinda like shopping for a new car.....you drive a Cadillac for your first test drive and you are not too eager to go to the Kia dealer.

Hope this helps.

Jay
Tofino
Old 02-08-2009, 02:00 PM

i just got a Bowtech TomKat and love it. very fast, accurate and quiet.