Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-11-2018, 04:23 PM

Default turkey and pheasant shotguns?

I am hoping to get into pheasant hunting in SW AB this fall as well as a turkey hunt in BC and any feedback is appreciated. I want something of mid range quality at least, what price range and gauge would be a good shotgun that will last?

Also I am not sure if there is a good cross over choke that fits this requirement?

Best Regards
Old 06-11-2018, 04:39 PM

Most people gobwith a 12 gauge for the sheer choices on the market .
20's are also popular .
The only things I am going to suggest is that you get to a gun club and see if you can try out as many guns as possible and choose the one you shooter best .

Chokes these days are a non issue because of the screw in styles you can buy and mist guns come with several - they all work but patterning will give you some different patterns and some will shoot better than others with your choice of Ammo .

If pheasants are the main game make sure you can shoot a lighter gun if possible because you carry them more than shoot them in the field ,
I'm sure you will find others giving you advice on this subject as well, but that is my take .
Cat
Old 06-11-2018, 05:58 PM

The most common by far is 12 gauge, but the most important thing is that a shotgun fits you. If you are near Silver Willow Sporting Clays, they have rentals that you can shoot to get an idea of what shotguns fit you. Many of the current semi auto shotguns come with shims to adjust the fit, but that isn't common with other actions. Like Cat, I prefer a light gun for pheasant, as you carry it for hours, and don't shoot it a lot, so recoil isn't a issue. You can buy a very reliable shotgun in the $800-$1200 range, and since you won't shoot many thousands of rounds hunting, service life won't be a factor.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:21 PM

I've got a Remington 870, 12 gauge with a 26 inch modified choke barrel (it's an older shotgun, I've had it for more about 45 years); paid $130.00 for it brand new. It works just fine at 'medium' range. Over the years I've knocked off several turkeys with it - all under 25 yards. And taken numerous other game birds too, including ducks and geese. Gotta admit, it fits me like a glove . The same gun with a slug barrel has also taken down several whitetail deer . Love that shotgun! It's just so darn versatile!!!
Old 06-12-2018, 10:14 AM

Thanks for all the feed back, I think I'll will check out Silver Willow, since it's not to far from Calgary. Unless there is a shotgun closer range that allows rentals.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:54 PM

As Elkhunter 11 said ,fit is every thing.

I went to Cabelas last week and shouldered a few pumps and none of them came up where my eye was level with the top of the barrel then to the beed.
I tried one of the higher end Browning over and under ,and did not fit 100%

The gun that came up perfect every time was the Stevens 555 over and under.

I would suggest doing the same , go to Cabela's and shoulder a gun 3 or four times,then try a few others .