Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-21-2018, 02:59 PM
Ken07AOVette's Avatar
Ken07AOVette Ken07AOVette is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 17,598
Talking Ever see a dry fire right beside you?

I was shooting yesterday, and this poor guy draws back after talking to someone else, aims, steadies, and I am thinking ok, he just came back from tightening a rattle, he must be checking to see......

BANG!!!

Big wide eyes and he is looking to see what exploded!

I had a second or 2, had JUST opened my mouth to ask if he was going to let loose without an arrow, but I thought this guy competes, has on a prostaff shirt and a $3500 setup, nope whak done.

Things got very loud for the 1/5th second when the bow shouted at him then absolutely silent for about 15 seconds as we all looked to see what exploded, looking for parts and blood. None anywhere

APA Pit Viper I think he called it. He shot a few arrows then went outside for a while after putting everything away. Poor bugger.

The lady running the lanes (for the children in there) said he should be more careful, then said 'well it happens to everyone at some point'.

I disagree, 40 years never once for me.



I am glad nothing exploded, apparently APA makes a pretty good bow. I have seen the dry fire videos from full draw, sure never want to do it though.
__________________
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-21-2018, 04:16 PM
Stinky Buffalo's Avatar
Stinky Buffalo Stinky Buffalo is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: A bit North o' Center...
Posts: 6,275
Default

Yeesh!

That'll wake you up in a hurry. Glad he's okay.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-21-2018, 04:35 PM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 11,761
Default

I would have burst out laughing....but I have a sick sense of humour....was at a archery store, lanes to try your bow out, buddy draws back, lots of poundage so he arcs his back to get a good ol'red neck yank on the ol'bow well mid way through the draw the release was touch and the arrow was stuck In The ceiling mid way down the range....yup I burst out laughing....wouldn't want to be a quarter section over during bow season enjoying a sandwhich with this fella hunting.
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-21-2018, 05:02 PM
Alberta Bigbore's Avatar
Alberta Bigbore Alberta Bigbore is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 16,702
Default

Accidents happen. Happened to me a few years ago at a 3d shoot. Shooting with experienced archers and they didnt notice either. We were all focused on a tiny 11 ring in the shade on a target. I never took my eyes off the spot we decided was the 11... and my release at the time, was a design that u didnt need to look at the string to hook onto. Accidents happen. Bloodied wrist , i still walked the rest of the course with my group. String broke at the peep. Bow was fine. Still have tue scar in the shape of a D-loop


But how many arrows do you shoot a day Ken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I was shooting yesterday, and this poor guy draws back after talking to someone else, aims, steadies, and I am thinking ok, he just came back from tightening a rattle, he must be checking to see......

BANG!!!

Big wide eyes and he is looking to see what exploded!

I had a second or 2, had JUST opened my mouth to ask if he was going to let loose without an arrow, but I thought this guy competes, has on a prostaff shirt and a $3500 setup, nope whak done.

Things got very loud for the 1/5th second when the bow shouted at him then absolutely silent for about 15 seconds as we all looked to see what exploded, looking for parts and blood. None anywhere

APA Pit Viper I think he called it. He shot a few arrows then went outside for a while after putting everything away. Poor bugger.

The lady running the lanes (for the children in there) said he should be more careful, then said 'well it happens to everyone at some point'.

I disagree, 40 years never once for me.



I am glad nothing exploded, apparently APA makes a pretty good bow. I have seen the dry fire videos from full draw, sure never want to do it though.
__________________
Alberta Bigbore
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-21-2018, 05:24 PM
Slicktricker Slicktricker is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,360
Default

When I was 15 I was so proud bought my first bow a pse thunderbolt shooting alluminum arrows first shot knock wasn't all the way on or slipped off and dry fire lol it happens more then you expect
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-21-2018, 05:31 PM
elkhunter11 elkhunter11 is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camrose
Posts: 31,658
Default

While I was shooting at our local range, a fellow dry fired a recurve crossbow. The string broke, but no other damage was apparent. I was surprised by how loud the dry fire was.
__________________
Only accurate guns are interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-21-2018, 05:33 PM
Ken07AOVette's Avatar
Ken07AOVette Ken07AOVette is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 17,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post


But how many arrows do you shoot a day Ken?
When I was in full swing and would shoot all summer long it was nothing to shoot from 6 until dark. On the weekend go out shooting gophers until either all the arrows were lost, broken, damaged or the gophers were gone.

Now after not shooting for a couple years I am shooting for 1-3 hours every day or miss a day here and there. 100-160 a day? I am just getting back into it so for the first week my left arm was giving me a little grief, but I think I am through that hurdle. Yesterday I was shooting 6 arrows a round, through 2 bows, 75lb bowtech and 60lb obsession.
I am still trying to decide if I should sell the Bowtech or the Hoyt and keep the Obsession, or keep all 3.
2 bows at a time was fun. I am having trouble getting the new one to group like the Bowtech, but it's getting there. I wanted to try newer tech, and found a great one from a member here in the Obsession. I also didn't see the point in driving 75lb arrows into the paper up to the vanes when a 60lb shoots lighter arrows faster. Faster is better

I really need to get a good single pin sight for the obsession, and a long stabilizer eventually.
__________________
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-21-2018, 05:35 PM
Ken07AOVette's Avatar
Ken07AOVette Ken07AOVette is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 17,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
While I was shooting at our local range, a fellow dry fired a recurve crossbow. The string broke, but no other damage was apparent. I was surprised by how loud the dry fire was.
The APA was suprisingly sedate when he let it go, I was expecting shards of broken limbs and cables everywhere, but it held up very well. (on the outside anyway)
__________________
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-21-2018, 08:10 PM
Justfishin73's Avatar
Justfishin73 Justfishin73 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Edmonton area
Posts: 448
Default

Never forget buying my first compound years ago. Nice Browning that I was very happy to get. Guy was doing up the paperwork, bow on the counter, another guy came in interested in same bow.....picked it up and, yup dry fired it. Shattered into pieces and got a limb in the face, lucky not in the eye.

Nothing like paying for a new bow to go straight in the trash
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-21-2018, 08:37 PM
Lefty-Canuck's Avatar
Lefty-Canuck Lefty-Canuck is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Look behind you :)
Posts: 26,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Accidents happen. Happened to me a few years ago at a 3d shoot. Shooting with experienced archers and they didnt notice either. We were all focused on a tiny 11 ring in the shade on a target. I never took my eyes off the spot we decided was the 11... and my release at the time, was a design that u didnt need to look at the string to hook onto. Accidents happen. Bloodied wrist , i still walked the rest of the course with my group. String broke at the peep. Bow was fine. Still have tue scar in the shape of a D-loop


But how many arrows do you shoot a day Ken?
I was there

Felt bad for you as I was looking through my binos and never noticed there wasn't an arrow nocked.

LC
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-21-2018, 10:21 PM
coyoteman coyoteman is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 499
Default bad bow shots

If you look around the ceilings and walls of most archery ranges, you can see evidence of bad shots----The dry fires oh boy --that can get expensive.
__________________
coyoteman
Visit my blog:
http://albertadawn.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-22-2018, 04:49 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 11,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
If you look around the ceilings and walls of most archery ranges, you can see evidence of bad shots----The dry fires oh boy --that can get expensive.
Yup some places have signage up....you dry fire you buy! I would add in fine print hospital bills are on your dime!

Scary for sure with all the potential energy letting go and no arrow to absorb it...
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-22-2018, 05:53 AM
jcrayford jcrayford is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Usually the office, but the bush when I can
Posts: 801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Never forget buying my first compound years ago. Nice Browning that I was very happy to get. Guy was doing up the paperwork, bow on the counter, another guy came in interested in same bow.....picked it up and, yup dry fired it. Shattered into pieces and got a limb in the face, lucky not in the eye.

Nothing like paying for a new bow to go straight in the trash
The salesman actually didn't place another new one in your hands and go after the other guy for the cost of the exploded one? More info please - I may never visit that retail establishment.....

I, at the very least, would've given said idiot the black eye he deserved. What kind of idiot does that?

J.
__________________
My $0.02.... Please feel free to take my comments with a grain of salt
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-22-2018, 06:37 AM
corky51 corky51 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Leduc, Alberta
Posts: 108
Default

First bow was pse thunderflite..first hard cam in the club, me the newby. Aroow on the string, first shot made way too much noise. Two experienced shooters came over and observed my launch from inches away. Turned out hard cam string was much thicker than standard and nocks were leaving the string way too early in release. 3 semi dry fires didn’t affect bow, shot it for years before replacing withe g-force.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-22-2018, 10:24 AM
Freerider Freerider is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 134
Default

Was at full draw and heard one about 10ft behind me scared the crap out of me. Made me want to pack up and call it a day scary stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-22-2018, 10:41 AM
bonedogg's Avatar
bonedogg bonedogg is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 904
Default

while working at Russell sports back in University, we heard them all the time as newbies would grab a bow and pull it back with no help and .....whack!!!!!! always was interesting to see how fast they would put the bow down and walk away like nothing happened. my buddy also got his jacket caught in between the string and rolled into the cam at the South Clagary Archery shop, man he was embarrassed when they had to put the bow on the press to get his jacket un-stuck.lol
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-22-2018, 10:57 AM
Don_Parsons Don_Parsons is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,444
Default

They had a archery shoot at Red Deer Centemum years ago.
Competitors from all across Western Canada.

One of the fellows had an aluminum arrow explode on release as it took out his bow holding hand.

It was bad, real bad.

Apparently the aluminum arrows where tracked back to a bow and sporting goods store that had caught on fire the year before.

Another shop picked this arrow shafts up on sale since there was no fiscal damage that could be seen on them,,, but after the law suit it was determined that the arrows substand damage in the fire.

I'm not sure of all the details to this incident, but I'm sure there are those on this forum that remember what happened that day.

The sad part of it was / is, that this archer person got seriously hurt.

Don
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-22-2018, 12:20 PM
32-40win 32-40win is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,966
Default

I've had a riser snap at full draw, cable strung wrong and cam cut it, cracked nocks, cracked limbs, overdraws break off, sight brackets break off. Seen one where the limb snapped off, couple of snapped risers, few strings let loose due to unknown reasons, couple of people bonked on the bean with flying pieces. Some were faulty maintenance, some faulty product, some bad design product, some had brain farts.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-22-2018, 01:38 PM
Ken07AOVette's Avatar
Ken07AOVette Ken07AOVette is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 17,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
They had a archery shoot at Red Deer Centemum years ago.
Competitors from all across Western Canada.
One of the fellows had an aluminum arrow explode on release as it took out his bow holding hand. It was bad, real bad. Apparently the aluminum arrows where tracked back to a bow and sporting goods store that had caught on fire the year before. Another shop picked this arrow shafts up on sale since there was no fiscal damage that could be seen on them,,, but after the law suit it was determined that the arrows substand damage in the fire. I'm not sure of all the details to this incident, but I'm sure there are those on this forum that remember what happened that day. The sad part of it was / is, that this archer person got seriously hurt.

Don

Yikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I've had a riser snap at full draw, cable strung wrong and cam cut it, cracked nocks, cracked limbs, overdraws break off, sight brackets break off. Seen one where the limb snapped off, couple of snapped risers, few strings let loose due to unknown reasons, couple of people bonked on the bean with flying pieces. Some were faulty maintenance, some faulty product, some bad design product, some had brain farts.
Double yikes. Ok, glasses. gotcha.
__________________
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-22-2018, 08:14 PM
Ken07AOVette's Avatar
Ken07AOVette Ken07AOVette is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 17,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post


But how many arrows do you shoot a day Ken?
you were expecting me to say 9?
__________________
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-22-2018, 09:34 PM
Mackinaw Mackinaw is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Accidents happen. Happened to me a few years ago at a 3d shoot. Shooting with experienced archers and they didnt notice either. We were all focused on a tiny 11 ring in the shade on a target. I never took my eyes off the spot we decided was the 11... and my release at the time, was a design that u didnt need to look at the string to hook onto. Accidents happen. Bloodied wrist , i still walked the rest of the course with my group. String broke at the peep. Bow was fine. Still have tue scar in the shape of a D-loop


But how many arrows do you shoot a day Ken?
happens to a lot more people then you think seen it happen at the range seen it at the store and on shoots. no different then the guy that pulls the trigger on his empty gun.


mack
__________________
LISTEN FOR THE "POP"

Last edited by Morbius131; 03-05-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-22-2018, 10:50 PM
Ken07AOVette's Avatar
Ken07AOVette Ken07AOVette is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 17,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
happens to a lot more people then you think seen it happen at the range seen it at the store and on shoots. no different then the guy that pulls the trigger on his empty gun.

but none of this can happen to Ken. he cant be shooting much he spends all his time backing up the police...

mack
Exclamation Message board "RULES"
This message board intended use is for hunters, anglers, trappers, and all individuals who may be interested in the Outdoors. Therefore, anti-hunters, anti-anglers, and anti-trappers are not welcome to the use of this message board.

- Please use common courtesy and respect to other message board users. [COLOR="blue"]Treat others in how you wish to be treated! Please do NOT take matters into your hands if you see the rules outlined not adhered to, please utilize the report a post function and the moderators will address if need be.

- Profanities, racism, flaming or other belittling remarks made toward other message board users will not be tolerated.
__________________
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-23-2018, 04:27 AM
calgarychef calgarychef is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,711
Default

I don't think I'd climb too high on my horse over witnessing a dry fire. I saw one of the most experienced shooters in the province dry fire his compound. We were yakking and he simply forgot to put an arrow on. With a compound and all the gizmos in your face it's easy to not see that there's no arrow there. If it was a recurve or a longbow I'd be scratching my head
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-23-2018, 04:52 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 11,761
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I don't think I'd climb too high on my horse over witnessing a dry fire. I saw one of the most experienced shooters in the province dry fire his compound. We were yakking and he simply forgot to put an arrow on. With a compound and all the gizmos in your face it's easy to not see that there's no arrow there. If it was a recurve or a longbow I'd be scratching my head
Yup I even shot my ram rod out of my muzzleloader once so ya in the shooting sports things happen
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-23-2018, 05:43 AM
brendan's dad's Avatar
brendan's dad brendan's dad is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton Area
Posts: 2,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
happens to a lot more people then you think seen it happen at the range seen it at the store and on shoots. no different then the guy that pulls the trigger on his empty gun.

but none of this can happen to Ken. he cant be shooting much he spends all his time backing up the police...

mack

Yep, seen it several times myself and unfortunately made the blunder as well on a new Prime Alloy while setting the peep height. Just wanted to make "1" more adjustment but all 3 of my arrows were already in the target. Drew back to check the adjustment I just made and for some stupid reason I just continued with my "shot sequence." Broke the string but other than that the bow was ok.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-23-2018, 06:49 AM
Mackinaw Mackinaw is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I don't think I'd climb too high on my horse over witnessing a dry fire. I saw one of the most experienced shooters in the province dry fire his compound. We were yakking and he simply forgot to put an arrow on. With a compound and all the gizmos in your face it's easy to not see that there's no arrow there. If it was a recurve or a longbow I'd be scratching my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yup I even shot my ram rod out of my muzzleloader once so ya in the shooting sports things happen
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Yep, seen it several times myself and unfortunately made the blunder as well on a new Prime Alloy while setting the peep height. Just wanted to make "1" more adjustment but all 3 of my arrows were already in the target. Drew back to check the adjustment I just made and for some stupid reason I just continued with my "shot sequence." Broke the string but other than that the bow was ok.
i agree guys everyone makes mistakes weather it is in the heat of the excitement or just a foolish blunder. only 2 people don't make mistakes those who do nothing or those that are to afraid to admit it. why rag on another outdoorsman just be happy no one was hurt.

mack
__________________
LISTEN FOR THE "POP"
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-23-2018, 07:39 AM
Lefty-Canuck's Avatar
Lefty-Canuck Lefty-Canuck is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Look behind you :)
Posts: 26,128
Default

I seen or heard too many dryfires to remember. The best was a guy who dru fired his bow 3 times in the same day at the same shoot.

It was a Bowtech Assasin, nothing happened to it whatsoever. Not even a string derail.

LC
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-23-2018, 08:22 AM
Ken07AOVette's Avatar
Ken07AOVette Ken07AOVette is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 17,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I seen or heard too many dryfires to remember. The best was a guy who dru fired his bow 3 times in the same day at the same shoot.

It was a Bowtech Assasin, nothing happened to it whatsoever. Not even a string derail.

LC
I have never been in any stressful competitions, there isn't a lot of rush or panic to drop that particular gopher or put a hole in paper. I understand the difference in situation for sure. Poor bugger, I bet he was a wreck end of the day.
__________________
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 02-23-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-23-2018, 09:24 AM
Lefty-Canuck's Avatar
Lefty-Canuck Lefty-Canuck is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Look behind you :)
Posts: 26,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I have never been in any stressful competitions, there isn't a lot of rush or panic to drop that particular gopher or put a hole in paper. I understand the difference in situation for sure. Poor bugger, I bet he was a wreck end of the day.
We kind of joked that we should all go buy Bowtech Assasins because they are one tough freakin bow!

LC
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-23-2018, 09:24 AM
double gun double gun is online now
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 4,112
Default

If we are playing “have you ever seen” - I want to join in.
We had a small archery club that would meet in a local community hall once a week to shoot. In the short time I shot there I saw a dry fire, a guy accidentally shoot the halls piano, arrows ricochet off the ceiling and floor. It was a good time.

I happened to be next to the piano slayer when it happed. He was shooting one of those older launcher style rests and when he pulled back, the arrow fell between the rest and riser - I thought he saw it but aparantly not.


Ah good times....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.