Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2014, 06:50 PM

Default Hole in RV hot water tank

My buddy's old trailer has a leak in the hot water tank. Seems to be roughly .75 cm in diameter. First off, is it possible that the tank is aluminum? It's non magnetic silver metal.
Second, as far as repairing it, I was thinking something like jb weld. Just stuffing the hole full and leaving it to har with the hole facing down so as to get the excess inside to mushroom. Then grind and finish the outside as necessary.

Does this sound ridiculous to anyone ? It isn't drinking water and quite frankly I don't know that it will be used for heat more than once annually. But it does need to be fixed to allow the rest of the system to be used.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Eh View Post
My buddy's old trailer has a leak in the hot water tank. Seems to be roughly .75 cm in diameter. First off, is it possible that the tank is aluminum? It's non magnetic silver metal.
Second, as far as repairing it, I was thinking something like jb weld. Just stuffing the hole full and leaving it to har with the hole facing down so as to get the excess inside to mushroom. Then grind and finish the outside as necessary.

Does this sound ridiculous to anyone ? It isn't drinking water and quite frankly I don't know that it will be used for heat more than once annually. But it does need to be fixed to allow the rest of the system to be used.
Can install a bypass to use the system with the hole present....no hot water but the rest of the system is usable.

LC
Old 05-21-2014, 07:01 PM

why don't you just bypass the hot water tank? Or are there no valves to do so. That way you don't have to worry about contaminates getting into the rest of the system and he can replace the hot water tank when he has time.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
why don't you just bypass the hot water tank? Or are there no valves to do so. That way you don't have to worry about contaminates getting into the rest of the system and he can replace the hot water tank when he has time.
Exactly! The bypass complete with valves and hose can usually be had for around $30 from any RV supply store.

LC
Old 05-21-2014, 07:10 PM

I tend to agree. The only issue was he mentioned "the girls" will want hot water.

Not my RV. This problem would have been solved a while ago
Old 05-21-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I tend to agree. The only issue was he mentioned "the girls" will want hot water.

Not my RV. This problem would have been solved a while ago
Simple fix to that. its called a pot on the stove.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:26 PM

I did the jb weld repair on a trailer hot water tank and it held for as long as I had the trailer. I would try it and see what happens.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:29 PM

Have you thought about a "on demand system" no hw tank and very efficent, perfect for us, and I done the easy conversion my self.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:29 PM

If it's an older trailer it is probably galvanized steal. Easily welded. Remove it from the RV and take it to someone with a mig. I've repaired many of these. If you take it out and clean it up it'll be a cheap fix. Don't use JB or any other epoxy or glue it'll fail at the least convenient time.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:44 PM

aluminum hot water heaters have a plastic plug instead of a metal anode easy way to tell
Old 05-21-2014, 08:52 PM

An easy fix... JB WELD I repaired a non thermostatic stock tank heater years ago with jb weld.. used it in layers over a piece of metal screen door screen. Took about a week to get enough layers over as whole was about 1.5 inches. This patch takes a direct propane flame on it, and has lasted at least 15 years
Old 05-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Suspended User

Quote:

If you have someone passing by Innisfail, I have one I took out to put in an on demand heater in. If not, I've seen old boys screw self tapping screws in with KB weld. Low pressure, low tech. Pm me if you want the heater.