Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2014, 11:46 PM

Default When Is It Time To Put Down Your Best Buddy?

A redundant question I know. Just need to talk.....

Our little family once had three indoor cats and a dog. We are now down to the dog and one cat.

I put Seth down a couple years back when he became ill at the age of 13. Little Blue, who was the runt of the litter and rescued from a horrific situation took a sudden turn about a month ago. He was 16 and had become my son's cat. I made the difficult decision to wake the kid in the middle of the night to say good bye to his pal before doing what had to be done. It was hard.

Our oldest, Sly had taken that little runt under his wing from day one. He has stopped eating and is barely drinking since. Sly has been with us for 18 years now, and is more special than I can even begin to describe. Just one of those unique animals that seem to become more human than critter.

At this point, he has pretty much wasted away to nothing. The kind and gentle personality remains. Other than being more lethargic than usual he is the same.

The clock is ticking though.

We've been open with the kids about it, but loosing two family members in just over a month is going to suck. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to put him down myself. Just cant......

The instant I see suffering in him, I'll make the call, just don't want to let emotion and bias enter into the equation. We owe him that much.

Any advice would be appreciated, although I already know what to do. Just needed to vent I guess. Amazing how critters can become a part of you.

Tree
Old 05-20-2014, 12:01 AM

Bummer man. Have a 15 yr old thats running out of time as well. Enjoy the time you have left with your little buddy! Try offering some unscented pure petroleum jelly. Had a wasting away issue with my beast a year back and opened a jar vasaline and the cat actually wanted it. After a couple days i notice in the box why. Old cats like old ppl have trouble getting air. When cats have trouble getting air they dont cough enough hairballs and the build up can kill the appetite almost completely. The jelly molecule is too large to enter the blood so it greases the chute and the hairball comes out the other end. A year later and she went from a rack of bones to fat cat now on a diet. Good luck and i hope you get to keep your pal around a little longer.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:21 AM
Banned

Sorry to hear that Tree. My dogs are slowly getting up to that age as well, and it isn't going to be easy.

No easy answers, but you will know best of anyone when the time comes.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:40 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
A redundant question I know. Just need to talk.....

Our little family once had three indoor cats and a dog. We are now down to the dog and one cat.

I put Seth down a couple years back when he became ill at the age of 13. Little Blue, who was the runt of the litter and rescued from a horrific situation took a sudden turn about a month ago. He was 16 and had become my son's cat. I made the difficult decision to wake the kid in the middle of the night to say good bye to his pal before doing what had to be done. It was hard.

Our oldest, Sly had taken that little runt under his wing from day one. He has stopped eating and is barely drinking since. Sly has been with us for 18 years now, and is more special than I can even begin to describe. Just one of those unique animals that seem to become more human than critter.

At this point, he has pretty much wasted away to nothing. The kind and gentle personality remains. Other than being more lethargic than usual he is the same.

The clock is ticking though.

We've been open with the kids about it, but loosing two family members in just over a month is going to suck. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to put him down myself. Just cant......

The instant I see suffering in him, I'll make the call, just don't want to let emotion and bias enter into the equation. We owe him that much.

Any advice would be appreciated, although I already know what to do. Just needed to vent I guess. Amazing how critters can become a part of you.

Tree
I have no advice. I have been there, nothing worked for me other then to just accept and move on and that was anything but easy.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-20-2014, 12:58 AM
Banned

One of the hardest things that I ever had to do was to put my dog down. He stopped eating and drinking as well and he was visibly deteriorating. I made the decision that the next time that he didn't eat or drink for two days I had to put him down. It's tough but you know your own pet better than anyone else and you'll know when it's time.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:59 AM

my old dog went from fat to ribs in a few months , she just quit eating , now i'm feeding her cheap wet dog food mixed with her good stuff . she gained a little weight back but i know she's on the way out . it sucks for sure .
Old 05-20-2014, 01:17 AM
Banned

Not good or easy I imagine.

I've had Bob(cat) for a long time now. 13 years almost. I had her since she was a wee kitten with a poker straight tail.

I swear that cat has ocd and a nervous bowel.

I love her to death though, and cannot imagine life without her.

She wouldn't leave my wife's side while she was pregnant. And she is very tolerant of my son. He would sleep on her if she'd let him. He loves to hug kitty.

He sees her and says Ba!

Pretty sure Bob will be his first word.

Either way, it's not a fun thing to go through I can bet.

Not looking forward to when I have to...
Old 05-20-2014, 01:44 AM
Banned

Ironic this post is today......I just had to put down my chocolate lab of 14 years today. I'm lying in bed totally depressed.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:24 AM
Banned

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:53 AM

Unhappy

No advice , but my heart goes out to you.

We have 3 thirteen year old cats. Dred the day they have to go.....
Old 05-20-2014, 06:50 AM

My condolences to you and your family,

I just went through the same situation myself, we put down two of our cats within the last 6 weeks, the most recent 2 weeks ago. I was with both my little friends to the end and it was easily one of the hardest things I have ever done. Both had been with us for 13-14 years, both kept me company throughout the day in my home office,

Based on your observations I would say it is time, once they start wasting away they are on the downhill slide. One of my guys went through the same thing and I still feel bad about waiting so long. My last guy developed cancer and we made the decision that as soon as it became obvious he was in discomfort we would put him down and we did.

I like to think we did it right with my last guy, I kick myself everyday for letting my first guy go through what he did.

Trust me when I say I know how hard it is, at the same time I believe we owe it to our little friends to do what is right for them, only you can make that call,

Good luck with it, my heart goes out to you, your family and your little friend,
Old 05-20-2014, 06:59 AM

Default This is as hard as it gets.

The best answer I have is not a clinical one, it is personal.

You will just know.

We all share your loss.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:13 AM
Banned

I feel for you. I dread the day I will have to make that decision. I have a cat and a dog, and they are truly part of the family. Both care for my wife when I am away, and the dog is a constant in my daughter's life, and the cat is inseparable with my son. And when I get home, both animals are happy to see me too.

My friend had a similar conundrum with his elderly dog. But the dog had other ideas. He knew his time was up, and took an opportunity to sneak out their gate one day, and we suspect he went to the woods to spend his last hours. It must have been difficult for the poor guy to get there, as he had limited mobility by that point, and was nearly blind. But just before he left, it seems in hindsight that he went to everyone and said his last goodbyes. Animals are pretty smart when it comes to emotional issues. They know what needs to be done before you do I think.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:06 AM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

Don't leave it too long. I did and it REALLY sucks. She started having seizures in the middle of the night and it just became gruesome and I had to do it myself right then and there.
Regards,
Dave

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
and pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For without this, the last battle, cannot be won.

You will be sad I understand,
But don’t let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn’t want me to suffer so.
When my time comes, please, in love let me go.

Take me where my final needs they’ll tend,
Only, stay with me please till the end
And hold me soft and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree,
It was great kindness you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I now am saved.

Don’t grieve that it must be you,
Who has been given this thing to do;
We’ve been so close, we two, these years,
Don’t let your heart hold any tears.

Author Unknown
Old 05-20-2014, 09:15 AM

A dog's or a cat's life is just too short sometimes!.....

The loss is hard but never having the memories would have been far worse....
Old 05-20-2014, 09:26 AM

Ver sorry to hear Tree.

I absolutely dread the day that Duke has to go to sleep. I can't imagine having a family member around for that length of time and having to put it down.

No easy decision, but I know you'll do what's right, even though it will be incredibly tough.

Take care bud.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:33 AM

It's one of the worst things that we, as our pet's guardians have to do. Once our faithful pet is suffering, they look to you for help as they have always done, and sometimes the only help we can give them is by putting them to sleep. It is then that we find we are human, very capable of love and emotion. My best to you and your family at this sad time.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:09 AM

We had to put to sleep 3 dogs & 1 cat between 1996 to 2010 & it wasn't easy. We take them to the vet but still it never gets any easier. We have a 14 year old dog right now that is slowing down but she keeps on going. It will be a very sad day when she needs to be laid to rest because she was with us from birth.
We had to lay to rest our black terrier (looks like Grey friars Bobby except the colour), a white terrier, our rescued retired racing Greyhound (a heart of gold), & a cat that was just over 2 years old. All of our dogs were (even now & including our new cat) are rescued/ or retired from shows. Other than the one dog that is 14 years of age.

Maybe the presence of a small runt of a kitten may bring life back into the 18 year old, if not then you need to make that decision.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:12 AM

I have a mutual agreement with my buddy. Over the years I have facilitated the final passage of 3 of my hunting partner's pets. He calls me out to his acreage and goes for a drive. I go for a walk and do what needs done with respect for his animals.
I think he feels better knowing that a friend will take care of what would be difficult for him to do.
Most difficult for him I believe is making that final decision to give me the call.

Last edited by omega50; 05-20-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:15 AM
Banned

I feel sad for the Tree family.

When the time comes it will have to be a family decision.

Take Care you guys.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:38 AM

Been there done that TreeGuy. Just last July I decided my 16 yr old GSP(last of 3 I had) was done. Her body frail but the heart strong as ever. It started out as just me going to the vet with her and then I postponed it for a week. She wasn't ready, neither was I. Then the day came and my 15 yr old said he was coming too. It was his dog from birth so to speak. Then my 13 yr old daughter said she was coming to the vet. Then my wife decided to come. We as a family walked her in, spent about 20 more mins with her and I carried her out for one last night with us. Brought her back the next morning for the cremators to pick up. I have to say it was the saddest one yet but the most fulfilling to have us all there to hold her as she went to sleep. If possible and all your family agree, take the whole gang in for that last vet visit. These silly pets give all of themselves for our benefit don't they. When the time is right, you will know what has to be done. Take care, Rainbow Bridge has been mentioned. Its a good one.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:54 AM

The best advice I got when talking about my vet a few months before I had to put down my old boy was, as long as the good days are more common than the bad days.
It sucks hardest thing I ever had to do, but one responsibility we owe to our buddies!!
Old 05-20-2014, 12:57 PM

Sorry to hear that. Just had my dog put down couple months ago. 11 great years and memories made me dread the vet "visit". You'll know when its time. Remember to have a good bawl, it seems to help.

Cheers,
Old 05-20-2014, 02:07 PM

Not a un place for you to be. I guess it would depend on what the vet says, and what the second opinion says as well.. We have friends who had an old dog on his last legs, apparently near death... then took him to another vet for a second opinion. Second vet put him on some medication... immediate improvement. My dog is too important a part of the family for me to ever put him down without being thoroughly evaluated first.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:36 PM
Banned

I put down my good friend Wiley 2 years to this day,he was only 9 but he had cancer and even though he tried to be himself he was just too sick and in pain.
That`s how you know,don`t do yourself favours,think of the pup,they will never tell you it`s time.You have to do it for them.
I have a new pup now,love her to the sky but she ain`t Wiley and never will be.But she makes me laugh and she loves me and it sure helps.
My best wishes for you and yours,and the pup.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 PM

I find the best time is when the burden/diesese starts to override the pleasures of life,then it becomes a 'must do' situation,and the guilt factor
becomes slightly more bearable and seems more humane..never easy! sorry&condoleneces treeGuy,last time i had to do it was Feb6th of last year,the 1st week=the worst,2nd&3rd week can be just as bad/worse because there's no more pressence,i find after 8weeks, things slowly start
shifting to improvements.

Last edited by tri777; 05-20-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:41 PM
Gone Hunting

I've had to put down 4 dogs in two years and a horse this week. I know how you feel Tree. It is never easy, but needs doing sometimes.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-20-2014, 09:19 PM

don't do it,,my lap dog ,,,winnie just turned 18 years old,,not a easy call there Tree
Old 05-21-2014, 04:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white whaler View Post
don't do it,,my lap dog ,,,winnie just turned 18 years old,,not a easy call there Tree
If she was hurting bad,you would.I just hope somebody does it for me if I need it someday and can`t do it myself.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:44 PM

Read this last night and had to stop, because I'm at the point of having to put down my buddy. Not sure how much time he has left, but it's not alot