Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-07-2011, 06:03 PM

Default Broadheads?

Hey ladies and gents I am fairly new to bow hunting and I was wondering what your favorite broadheads are for big game? I'm in the process of trying to pick some up before bear season I'm shooting carbon express mayham hunters in a 350 and I have had a number of suggestions so far I'm leaning towards either the rage 2 blade 100 gr for a mechanical or G5s and Muzzy's for a fixed blade! Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:47 PM

Thunderheads 125Gr for your fixed blades for sure! I couldn't help you with expandable's, i like spitfires but i don't use them very much.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 PM

I'll be the first in line to vote for "slick tricks", fly the same as field points and very strong .. took 6 different big game animals with them last year and have no complaints .
Old 04-07-2011, 07:35 PM

26 years of shooting so I have tried alot. G5 Montec CS 100gr. is what I use. 3 continents 30 big game animals in the last 10 months. All with the Montec CS but in the end it is what flies best for your setup. Pick a few and then try them is the best way to choose. I am not a fan of mechanicals if your setup is correct and the bow is tuned no reason you cannot shoot fixed blades.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:12 PM

Proper tuning of your bow will enable you to shoot any broadhead you want. Im a big fan of fixed blades. Im not a fan of mechanical as i have shot three animals with them and there performance was less than that of a fixed blade. I'm currently shooting interlock falcons. So far they a performed amazingly. Moose only went thirty yards, deer have only gone as far as fifty yards. They are adjustable allowing you to tune them.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:13 PM

Default Slick Tricks all the way!

They shoot(and kill) very well, and somewhat more economicalthan some of the big names, but really it will always come down to shot placement!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:24 PM

slick tricks x 2!!!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:34 PM

slick tricks all the way !!!!! Also do a forum search on broadheads and you will find all the info you need ... good luck

mamba
Old 04-08-2011, 01:55 PM

Anything pointy....
Old 04-10-2011, 09:19 PM

Default broadheads

Slick trick razor heads all the way. A
moose and 2 bears last fall, none went more than 30 yards. I don't think the arrows even slowed down going through them.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:41 PM

i had a couple of buddies shoot rages and they had deployment problems but still did the job. i personally shoot montecs for deer moose elk, but i like to use a big mechanical for bear like a T3 or rage i just want a big hole in a bear. i know the montec or slick tricks will easily do the job but i dont know what it is i just feel safe knowing the bear i just shoot has a 2 to 3 inch hole in it rather than a 1 1/8th
Old 04-10-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-bo View Post
Anything pointy....
i used to use a shape stick outa my willow bow for gophers when i was young
Old 04-10-2011, 11:56 PM

those will all work assuming they are sharp and you put them in the right place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spennydubs View Post
Hey ladies and gents I am fairly new to bow hunting and I was wondering what your favorite broadheads are for big game? I'm in the process of trying to pick some up before bear season I'm shooting carbon express mayham hunters in a 350 and I have had a number of suggestions so far I'm leaning towards either the rage 2 blade 100 gr for a mechanical or G5s and Muzzy's for a fixed blade! Any thoughts?

Thanks!