Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2008, 05:47 PM

Default 4th class steam ticket

My company offered to get me my 4th class steam ticket, I do have my welding journeyman ticket and my "B" pressure. I was wondering how tough the course is and how much math is involved?
Old 07-28-2008, 06:01 PM

Does that mean the company is going to give you a letter saying you have the firing time to write the absa exams. It's been quite a few years, since I wrote my Fourth, if you have grade 10 math and physics, and didn't have any big problems with them, have a good mechanical apptitude then I'm sure you will have no big problems with the exam. If you ever want to switch careers it gives you more options for sure, and if they are paying the bills then I'd go for it. You can pm me if you want, I've been at the operator game for awhile now.

Good luck
Old 07-28-2008, 06:15 PM

The fourth class are fairly easy exams, it's 150 mulitple choice questions, most of the questions are based on mechanical type stuff i.e. how do diferent pumps work, some regulations, etc.

Seeing that you are a B pressure welder you probably have a good mechanical apptitude already so that type of stuff should come pretty easy for you.

There are probably 20 SAIT books (think it's a binder now) probably a couple hundred pages of information and pictures. Shouldn't have any issues with the exam if you get the SAIT course. It will show all the math that will be required for the exam.

It's not really much maybe 20% of the whole exam and it's fairly basic stuff. You would have done similar questions on your welding exams.

I took the 2 year Power Engineering course at SAIT and most people breezed through the exams.

It's a great job, good pay, and tons of time off. I get a week off every month, only work 14 of every 28 days.

If you have any more questions let me know

Dustin
Old 07-28-2008, 06:55 PM

yup there signing me up as an apprentice and logging my time towards the absa exams, I do have my grade 12 math and avoided physics after grade 10 I just hope Ive retained enough to pull me through. Im debating whether or not Ill need a tudor to brush up. Turns out I was the only one to fill out the posted application so I wasen't really hand picked but my supervisor approved of the switch. And as far as I know its all paid for, Ill find out more on thursday Im having a sit down with the maintenance superintendent and HR lady, Im really excited and a little nervous
Old 07-28-2008, 07:44 PM

Fluxcore you have found the golden goose with power engineering. I don't think that you are going to have a very difficult time with if you have a strong mechanicial aptitude. If you can do the stress/ strain/ heat transfer calculations for welding you will be able to get the rest of the math.
In todays job market a 4th Class ticket can be a career ticket you can work with it for next 30 years.
If you have any questions just ask.
Good Luck.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:51 PM

Thanx alot guys, Its good to know I have some knowledgble people to ask questions and I plan on taking full advantage.

THANX
Old 07-28-2008, 10:12 PM

Took my 4th class power engineering by correspondence through Sait 16 years ago. If you made it through the welding apprenticeship you will do well in the power engineering. Now I am fortunate to have a high paying job I like and it is easy on the body.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:17 PM

Default 4th class Books

I have a brand new still in the plastic set of 4th class power eng. books. PM me if your interested. I need to get rid of them!
Old 07-29-2008, 01:21 AM

It's been a long time since I took the 2 year Power Engineering course but the 4th Class course is fairly easy.
It is a great way to a possible new career especially if you continue to write the ABSA exams and continue on to a 3rd class or 2nd class ticket.
With a 2nd Class ticket you can pretty much work wherever you want!!
Like other people have said "operating" is a pretty good way to make a living with the one downfall being shiftwork.....ie working nights.
Some people cope better than others but after 20 years of it I am getting sick of it.
Not sick of the days off and great pay though!
I guess you have to give and take!
Good luck!
Old 07-29-2008, 03:10 PM

Default having another ticket under your belt is always good.

Ive been operating a heating plant/ physical plant for 12 years now and finally got mine about 12 months ago...i also have the jman plumbing and gas, backflow prevention tester, and a bunch more of smaller related certificates. i wrote my finals in Sait for part A and B in the same day...300 questions whew...long day.
you simply have to commit 'X' numbers of hours a week when doing it. lots of numbers and formulae to recognize.

if you understand natural physix, your life is easier in that class. fortunatly our plant has 2-2nds and 1 third so i still ask a lot of questions to those guys.
when you get the ticket, dont let it expire as you will have to rewrite, some employers will cover those renewal expenses.
i took my PE books with me during hunting season to pass the time, hunt and study at the same time
good luck
PS i sold my used books with no marks in them for $300.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 07-29-2008, 07:14 PM

Here is a link that sells some of the books that you are going to be using and has some sample questions etc. on it.
http://www.powerengineering.ca/
Old 07-29-2008, 08:57 PM

As suggested above, you shouldn't have a whole lot of trouble with the 4th class. It's easy enough. Modern interviewers are in love with certification in ANYTHING. It can only look better for your resume in the future.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:22 PM

Like the others have said... The 4th class exams are not brutally tough. A bit of mechanical aptitude and math aptitude and you are golden. I am a 3rd class operator and I am operating a gas plant. Best job out there and a heck of a lot more steady than some other trades out there. MANY doors will open with your combo of tickets. Good luck and fire a pm if any other questions.

cheers,
Old 01-11-2010, 08:12 PM

I know it's been over a year since the last post, but I'll ask anyway. I want to get my 4th class power engineering ticket, but am unsure if my work experience would count towards my exam. I have been operating a fairly large gas compression plant for the last 3 years and can't seem to get a straight reply out of anyone. Does anyone here know if that would count?
Old 01-11-2010, 08:54 PM

Default Get You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
My company offered to get me my 4th class steam ticket, I do have my welding journeyman ticket and my "B" pressure. I was wondering how tough the course is and how much math is involved?
What do you mean by Get Me? Are they sending you to NAIT/SAIT or paying for the Correspondance course or having an in structor from NAIT come in and run some night classes for each paper? Will they give you time off? Do you have facilities that Steam Time can be taken? As was mentioned, operations is a pretty good gig. Our Plant wont even look at you unless you have a second now, and we are supposed to be hiring in the next couple of years. I would ask (If you want to) about the chances of doing your third as well. The Fourth Class is actually fairly simple if you work through the course. Good Luck and by all means go for it.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:20 PM

Default Questions/Answers for 4th class steam ticket

Hi all,

I want to write 4th class (operating engineers) exam and I am looking for questions and answers for 4th class steam ticket. Is there any book for questions and answers for 4th class exam. Can any one help me in this regard,

Thanks,

Zia
Old 08-29-2010, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaullah View Post
Hi all,

I want to write 4th class (operating engineers) exam and I am looking for questions and answers for 4th class steam ticket. Is there any book for questions and answers for 4th class exam. Can any one help me in this regard,

Thanks,

Zia
http://www.sopeec.org/Samples/Questions4A.aspx
Old 08-29-2010, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
Like the others have said... The 4th class exams are not brutally tough. A bit of mechanical aptitude and math aptitude and you are golden. I am a 3rd class operator and I am operating a gas plant. Best job out there and a heck of a lot more steady than some other trades out there. MANY doors will open with your combo of tickets. Good luck and fire a pm if any other questions.

cheers,
I work as an operator as well and LOVE it. Great job if you dont mind shift work. But in reality I only work 2 weeks a month and with holidays its about 5 months out of the year. I am doing my 4th class right now. Working with a bunch of guys that have them allready sure helps.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 09-12-2010, 10:07 PM

there is a little thermodynamics that can give people some trouble, but if you pay attention it's not bad.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:02 AM

Mylife i
Quote:
I know it's been over a year since the last post, but I'll ask anyway. I want to get my 4th class power engineering ticket, but am unsure if my work experience would count towards my exam. I have been operating a fairly large gas compression plant for the last 3 years and can't seem to get a straight reply out of anyone. Does anyone here know if that would count?
You will still have to write the exam. Steam time is counted,do you have any boilers? or steam generators?
Old 09-13-2010, 01:07 PM

I write my last paper on my third tomorrow, hopefully I pass. 4th class isnt too bad but you have to watch if you are on the sopeec website and even in the power engineering books as i have found a lot of wrong answers. The math can be tough and it makes it hard to learn when they cant even do the questions right in the book. I have heard a lot of guys having trouble getting steam time from gas plants, never worked at one but I guess it depends on what all you have for equipment and sizes. Best of luck its an awsome job operating, but you have to like nights, i have hard time sleeping during days but work is slack so can usually have a power nap so it works out not bad
Old 12-05-2012, 06:42 PM

im working through my books right now and i have had to learn a million different formulas and im worried i will have to remember them all for the exams?! does anyone know? or do you get a formula sheet? also whats the passing mark on the exams? ive heard 50%? thanks guys!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:49 PM

Yes to formula book BUT that doesnt mean everything you need will be in that formula book.

Pass is 65%.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:22 PM

4 year old thread now, wow.
Not sure if test questions have changed much lately, but they do change them every few years or so.
Maybe a search for latest 4th class sample test question would help you.
Nice to get new members, even if they've landed here on a search for PE 4th class. Welcome aboard.

TBark
Old 12-05-2012, 07:56 PM

iread my input from then and my oh my how things have changed!
i think a 'careers column' would be sometimes be an asset to the forum.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31