Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-15-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Bow View Post
Hi Everyone!
I'm new to both this site and bow hunting. I started out grouse hunting in Porcupine hills years ago, only I didn't know it was Porcupine hills then (referral from a Canadian Tire line up). I have seen elk there on only 2 occasions, but not knowing any better I decided to focus on mainly 304 for elk. I've walked I'm sure by now hundreds of miles in every kind of walking imaginable. I've called, I've de-scented, I've elk bombed and sat, I have glassed for hours. I have walked in every imaginable kind of terrain.
With absolutely no success in my efforts for even seeing Elk never mind getting one, I have decided to look outside porcupine and try new things. I did manage a mule doe so the effort wasn't a total loss, but I have elk on the brain and would love to get one with the bow... ok rifle would be fine too. But I do love bow hunting.
I'm looking for a hunting partner who is experienced with elk. I think I have a lot to give back for that experience. I'm in great shape and you won't find a harder working person. I really just love being out. :-)
Your gonna do just fine as a bowhunter, countless hours in the field, lots and lots of miles, hours on end sitting in stands, if I was gun hunting I would have filled all my tags by now, bull elk alone I've been close to 8,all less than 100 yards this season, bow hunting can be extremely hard and at times frustrating, that's what makes it so dam addicting. All it takes is a twig in the way and no shot LOL
Old 10-16-2017, 02:13 PM

Default Thank you!

I THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONFIDENCE!
I think I am more confused as to where to find an elk?? I have spent a ton of hours as mentioned and haven't seen even a one this year. Probably too late now? I'm just thinking it must get a little harder after the rut up to rifle season.

I think I would like to get somewhere I have at least a chance... work a bit smarter instead of harder. if you know what I mean.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONFIDENCE!
I think I am more confused as to where to find an elk?? I have spent a ton of hours as mentioned and haven't seen even a one this year. Probably too late now? I'm just thinking it must get a little harder after the rut up to rifle season.

I think I would like to get somewhere I have at least a chance... work a bit smarter instead of harder. if you know what I mean.
The porkies see a lot of hunters plus a ton of ATVs, two things elk hate.. Most will be pushed out into the surrounding leases or onto private land.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:55 PM

Figured doughgoat. You mention private land... Ive gotten permission a few times on leases but have you seen much success for access on private land? I'm guessing you pretty much have to knock doors.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:20 AM

Default Geese & Whitetail

I have permission to hunt for geese in Barrhead, and Whitetail in Fort Assiniboine and Vermillion. All on private farm land. However, I'm new to hunting and could use a partner so I can learn enough to get out there on my own.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:14 AM

Default Keep Hammering!

Quote:
Hi Everyone!
I'm new to both this site and bow hunting. I started out grouse hunting in Porcupine hills years ago, only I didn't know it was Porcupine hills then (referral from a Canadian Tire line up). I have seen elk there on only 2 occasions, but not knowing any better I decided to focus on mainly 304 for elk. I've walked I'm sure by now hundreds of miles in every kind of walking imaginable. I've called, I've de-scented, I've elk bombed and sat, I have glassed for hours. I have walked in every imaginable kind of terrain.
With absolutely no success in my efforts for even seeing Elk never mind getting one, I have decided to look outside porcupine and try new things. I did manage a mule doe so the effort wasn't a total loss, but I have elk on the brain and would love to get one with the bow... ok rifle would be fine too. But I do love bow hunting.
I'm looking for a hunting partner who is experienced with elk. I think I have a lot to give back for that experience. I'm in great shape and you won't find a harder working person. I really just love being out. :-)
Persistence pays! You have the right attitude for success. Putting in the miles will increase your probability. As Cam Hanes says KEEP HAMMERING!
Old 10-23-2017, 02:37 PM

Default Need beaver hunter

Need beaver hunter to come to beaumont area.
please contact
Old 10-24-2017, 09:24 AM

Default Hunting partner

Hi to all. I am a 53 year old Canadian Veteran who is still relatively new to Alberta and looking for permission to hunt and/or to team up with a hunting partner for November Whitetail deer hunting and general tag late season Elk if possible. Preferably hunting the prairie/farm WMU areas in the 100 -200 range that are reasonably accessible via 4X4 truck to retrieve the game as I do not own an ATV. I live in the Edmonton region; although, will travel. I have 15 years hunting experience, and decades of safe firearms handling. PM me if you are able to help out. Cheers.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:25 AM

Well, I'm 36 and live in Calgary. I work in IT as a Project Manager, started hunting last year after having my PAL for a few years before that. My brother and I went out for deer last year but he's a new dad this year and can't get away for a hunt at all. I'd consider myself a newb to hunting, didn't grow up with it as nobody in my family or friends hunted. My bro got into bird hunting maybe 5-6 years ago and got me into it last year.

I've been doing mostly bird hunting with my wife so far this year, but she isn't interested in deer hunting (yet). We've scouted a bunch this summer/early fall and I had a few trail cams setup, with some good WT results in 412 (even a cow moose was spotted).

I have a truck and some decent gear, but I'm more looking for someone who'd be open to going out for a day hunt here and there. I don't really want to go on my own in Grizz country. I have a General WT tag, and thought about picking up a Muley tag too. Let me know if you're interested in heading out with me, I'd be up for meeting up over a beer one night, getting to know one another, and maybe planning out a couple of day hunts in 416/316.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:29 PM

Default Waterfowl

Hi all, I'm looking to join someone or a group to help out waterfowl hunting. I've only waterfowl hunted a few times and have limited success as I'm on my own. I'm not looking to be "shown the ropes" but to make a helpful contribution to the hunt. I've been bow hunting for 8 years, so I'm not new to hunting, but think that there is always something to learn from each hunt/year.

I've got about 3 dozen floating duck decoys, with field stakes, and a couple of motorized spinners. I have my own lay-out blind, calls, etc. I consider myself safe with a firearm(I'm a Range Safety Officer at my local gun and archery club) and think that I'm pretty easy to get along with.

There isn't any decent waterfowl hunting near me so I'm prepared to drive a few hours, even better if we can make it a 2+ day hunt.

If any of this sounds interesting to you shoot me a PM and we can sort out details or meet beforehand to see if things will jive.

Hope you all find success this year!
Old 10-26-2017, 09:46 AM

Anyone interested in hunting some pheasant around calgary? I got a dog but he is not a bird dog. And i got a couple of shottys.

Am interested in day trips around the city, willing to drive a couple of hours if needed
Old 10-27-2017, 01:09 PM

Default First time pheasant hunt

I am going out on Sunday to a pheasant release site to see if I can scare some pheasants by myself. Might be easier with a buddy and especially with a dog. This will be my first time out. If you are interested in joining let me know. I am going just east of Calgary.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinecreek View Post
Need beaver hunter to come to beaumont area.
please contact
That request could go either way!
Old 10-28-2017, 10:06 PM

Default ISO: bird buddy

Hunting on release sites around calgary and south ab. Pretty new hunter but I promise not to shoot you by accident. I have a sweet bird dog. He will you make sure you get a bird. Mostly random weekday times. Too many people on weekends.

Last edited by Potatodog; 10-28-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:46 PM

Nvm

Last edited by DireWolf; 11-01-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:20 PM

Heading out Saturday morning to 349 for a quick day trip for general WT if anyone wants to hop in , pm me for details
Old 11-06-2017, 05:16 PM

Default Hunting

Looking for someone to go hunting with my pal exspired so I don't have any firearms and won't be getting it back before hunting season is over. But if your looking for someone to tag along and help. I'm willing to put in for gas I have hunted for years so I'm not a newbie to hunting and the outdoors. My number is
7802841937 Rich
I'm off work for a bit so I can go anytime as long as I don't have my kids.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:19 PM

Default Suffield Elk hunt Feb 5-8

Just wounding if any one else got this draw also and want to buddy up .
Edmonton
Old 11-10-2017, 07:42 AM

BC Resident, will be in Edmonton for the winter, and have a lot of time off. Will start spending more and more of the year in the area, partner works/lives in YEG. Very experienced hunter and former Bear/Moose guide, spend most of my fall chasing Mtn Goat in BC, but new to the flat-lands and interested in getting better at small game hunting. Looking for guys to team up with on winter rabbit. Have permission on a few sections east of town. Easy going and need to get out of the city as much as possible (I don't do cities..)

May try to head to the south of the province for Jacks, if anyone cares to share some tips, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Just wounding if any one else got this draw also and want to buddy up .
Edmonton

Just want to add on ,that I got a bull Elk draw for Suffield.
Ideally would like to partner up with someone that has a cow elk draw.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:04 PM

Default Re-post

I'm a new hunter to Alberta but lived in Calgary area since 1999. The wife and I just finished building a house on 6 aces in Dewinton and have 2 small children.

I've never hunted in Alberta before but know K-country pretty well.
I have a large shop where game can be dressed and bobcat for moose/elk down the road. Have quads and soon buying a camper and canvas tent for longer trips to avoid long morning drives to take advantage of hunting endeavors in the future. I started hunting with my father when I was 11 on Vancouver island. It was all black bear and black tail deer. Have a couple friends in the area that do hunt but would be nice to add to the group or a duo/friendship.
I'd like to stick to big game rifle hunting and maybe go to bow down the road once I'm setup for it and learn more about it. Willing to travel and stay out for weeks on end if need be. I have all my own gear and run a tikka 30-06/leupold.
I have exchanged a few numbers on the old post but haven't met anyone yet.
I'd prefer someone that's not a straw hat, gum boot, 6 pack kind of hunter if you know what I mean hahaha!
Other words common sense is a must, there is no lack in a well planned hunting trip.
Cheers.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:47 PM

Default Can anyone help a couple of newbies bag a whitetail

Well me and my father are on our 4th season of hunting (my father use to hunt years ago when he was a kid in Saskatchewan) and have been unsuccessful for the last 3 years, me and my dad hunt out west in areas around Edson to drayton valley on crown land, but we are from Edmonton and willing to go where need be......

Is their anyone out there who would want to meet up and show us green horns what to do and maybe help us take a few deer? (We both have Sup and Gen whitetail) We would be more then willing to pitch you some meat or cold drinks for your time and effort!!!!

Feel free to send me a PM and maybe we can work something out, good luck with everyone’s season
Old 11-20-2017, 08:58 PM

I could use some help filling my antlered mule deer tag in the Wainwright area. Iève only hunted moose and whitetail and complete newbie to Mule deer hunting.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:36 PM

Default Deer hunt

Heading out for whitetail/grouse hunting to Whitecourt/FoxCreek area on Nov 26th. Text me if interested. 780-9746126
Old 11-22-2017, 08:19 PM

Default Need whitetail help outside Calgary

37 year old single guy from Calgary. I'm an "adult-onset hunter". It's my third season hunting whitetail (first with my bow, then my rifle), and I'm still empty handed. I've been hunting at least a dozen times this season, and still nothing. It's not just bad luck...I'm doing something wrong. I'm honestly ready to quit hunting if I'm empty handed this year too. It's too much cost and effort for no results again and again.

Can anyone who knows white-tail hunting come and show me what I'm doing wrong?

I have the rest of the month off work, so my schedule is clear.

I've been hunting 2 spots in 314 that are about an hour's drive from town. I know these properties pretty well, and I can show you where the deer hang out. I just can't get my crosshairs on one of the buggers! Note; this will be an on-foot hunt. You can't get a quad or a truck into either of these areas, which are about a section each.

If we harvest something, we split the meat...but, the one who shot it gets the head / cape. Must be willing to be on-site before dawn, which means probably getting up at 4am-ish. I would also like to meet for a coffee/beer beforehand, to hash out details.

Please PM me if you're interested.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:25 PM
Banned

since you already have a spot where you know there are deer, don't give up....it will happen.

also, think how good you'll feel when you get the job done by yourself!
Old 11-22-2017, 11:20 PM

Default Newbie looking to join a Wainwright group

Complete hunting newbie (I've been out before, but never managed to bring anything in). I've got a tag for a Wainwright deer for Dec 14 - Dec 16, but I'd really like someone to go with. Anyone out there willing to have someone join them?
Old 11-30-2017, 08:48 AM

Default antlerless elk season

Anyone getting out for elk in the new year? Never been out for Elk but plenty of deer hunting experience. I am in Canmore. Cheers
Old 11-30-2017, 07:00 PM

Default Edmonton coyote hunt

Hey everyone, anyone around the Edmonton area into hunting yotes and willing to let a guy tag along. Never gone out and called in a coyote before, only ever shot them while hunting big game. Anyways I’m looking to learn more about it, I have a 22-250 and a .243 but don’t have any calls or decoys. Let me know if you’d let a new guy tag along thanks and have a good weekend
Old 12-11-2017, 10:32 PM

I am status Qalipu Mi'kmaq and have lived in Calgary all my life. Honestly, I am a 19yo who is just looking for somebody who can take me under there wing. Have some time spent with firearms at local ranges but, I am waiting for my PAL. Otherwise, I am a noob about hunting.