Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-13-2023, 04:54 AM

Just hung a goat mount up at mom and dads last night,his 2021 Antelope beside his 2013 mule deer...Antelope made B&C
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231112_204001.jpg (29.2 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg 20231112_204157.jpg (12.8 KB, 95 views)
Old 11-13-2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Just hung a goat mount up at mom and dads last night,his 2021 Antelope beside his 2013 mule deer...Antelope made B&C
Wow those are both beauties. I guess if you have one shoulder mount, it just fits in to have more.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2023, 04:28 PM

I've almost exclusively done euros, all but two I did myself. I like the look and they're easy to do. The one mount I got done was a caribou that I was extremely fortunate to be able to hunt. I won a raffle and saved myself 25 grand. Then the luck held out and I got a boone and Crockett 'bou, so I felt like I had to shell out the 3000 bucks for the mount. Totally worth it, but likely the only one I'll ever have.
Old 11-13-2023, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchrat View Post
I've almost exclusively done euros, all but two I did myself. I like the look and they're easy to do. The one mount I got done was a caribou that I was extremely fortunate to be able to hunt. I won a raffle and saved myself 25 grand. Then the luck held out and I got a boone and Crockett 'bou, so I felt like I had to shell out the 3000 bucks for the mount. Totally worth it, but likely the only one I'll ever have.
That experience definitely calls for a shoulder mount. Too bad taxidermy expenses weren't included

Old 11-13-2023, 05:36 PM

Nice muley buck, congrats on connecting for your draw!!
Old 11-13-2023, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Nice muley buck, congrats on connecting for your draw!!
Thanks! I'll have to start getting supplies together for a euro mount.

Old 11-14-2023, 10:09 AM

Default Shoulder mount

I have been getting critters mounted my entire adult life starting when a full mount of a red fox was $35 and the same with a flying mount of my first goose.

My house is totally full now and except for a blue goose ($1,100 Ouch) a few years ago - I have not had anything mounted for at least five years and that includes safaris in Botswana, Zambia, Namibia and South Africa. (I love Africa, obviously)

Most of the animals in my living and dining room were shot by my lady. These include a really big kudu, waterbuck, wart hog, zebra pedestal, bison European mount, eland and big bull elk on pedestal mounts. Impala, also.

She was commenting on how the eland and the bull elk were taking up so much space in the living room.

I told her that I paid for the safaris, the airfares, the taxidermy and she shot the beasts so I really was not a villain here.

No regrets on getting these animals a place of honor in my house to stir up the wonderful memories of days of yesteryear.

But what happens to them when I go on the final adventure of no return? My family does not want them.

Who would want someone's ivory or bown bear rug, big horn ram, or even a full mount of a red fox or Canada goose that are both about 50 years old?
Old 11-14-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy View Post
I have been getting critters mounted my entire adult life starting when a full mount of a red fox was $35 and the same with a flying mount of my first goose.

My house is totally full now and except for a blue goose ($1,100 Ouch) a few years ago - I have not had anything mounted for at least five years and that includes safaris in Botswana, Zambia, Namibia and South Africa. (I love Africa, obviously)

Most of the animals in my living and dining room were shot by my lady. These include a really big kudu, waterbuck, wart hog, zebra pedestal, bison European mount, eland and big bull elk on pedestal mounts. Impala, also.

She was commenting on how the eland and the bull elk were taking up so much space in the living room.

I told her that I paid for the safaris, the airfares, the taxidermy and she shot the beasts so I really was not a villain here.

No regrets on getting these animals a place of honor in my house to stir up the wonderful memories of days of yesteryear.

But what happens to them when I go on the final adventure of no return? My family does not want them.

Who would want someone's ivory or bown bear rug, big horn ram, or even a full mount of a red fox or Canada goose that are both about 50 years old?
Dang that's quite the collection. You're right about what to do with the stuff when you're gone tho.

Old 11-18-2023, 09:51 AM

For bleaching euros are you guys using peroxide and boiling again, or a whitening paste and leaving it sit?

Old 11-18-2023, 10:46 AM

Little late for this rodeo...

Very nice deer Savage! Congrats...
Old 11-18-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Little late for this rodeo...

Very nice deer Savage! Congrats...
Thanks Phil. I may be working on a euro mount today or tomorrow.

Old 11-18-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
For bleaching euros are you guys using peroxide and boiling again, or a whitening paste and leaving it sit?

If you make sure it’s degreased well that is the main thing or it will yellow. Soaking in peroxide does work but you would be surprised how many taxidermists actually use flat white spray paint
Old 11-18-2023, 04:11 PM

Which peroxide and how much do you use? The 40 volume from hair dressing place? And not regular peroxide from the grocery store?

Old 11-18-2023, 10:28 PM

The bottom of the horns lightened up during the boil. I'll see what they look like in 20 minutes when it's finished the peroxide boil. And then address it tomorrow.

Old 11-18-2023, 11:12 PM

Gonna need the minwax stain to color those antlers back
Old 11-18-2023, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
Gonna need the minwax stain to color those antlers back
Yep. They got a lot lighter. Besides that, I'm super happy with it.

Old 11-19-2023, 06:17 AM

^^^^

Looks very nice. Good job!

As mentioned by DirtShooter, Minwax stain and light rubbing on the ridges will fix that issue...
Old 11-19-2023, 07:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Yep. They got a lot lighter. Besides that, I'm super happy with it.

Touch up the bottoms with dark wood stain and your good to go.

Great job, relatively easy to do just takes time and keeps cost down.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-19-2023, 09:05 AM

Thanks guys. I have to head into Red Deer today. So I'll pick up some stain. I'll grab the darkest brown they have. And maybe a lighter one too. The bottoms of the horns were very dark, almost black.

If I get a chance tonight, I'll start staining.

Old 11-19-2023, 09:38 AM

Great buck SB! Some character there.

I was head mount for the longest time - Sheep, goats, caribou, all 3 species of deer in BC and bears. Last mount was in 2005 and it cost $595. I was shocked to see quotes of $1400+!

I now do all euros and shot a buck yesterday that will be getting ready for another euro today. I now take them to the Hutterites as they charge $40 and do an amazing job! They have done my last 2. I couldn't do it for the cost if including my time.

To degrease, I use TSP in moderation. Wrap you antler bases with tin foil before doing any of the boiling. I paint on the 40% peroxide and then wrap in saran wrap. When I did them, that is.

Again great buck!

Cheers

SS
Old 11-19-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
Great buck SB! Some character there.

I was head mount for the longest time - Sheep, goats, caribou, all 3 species of deer in BC and bears. Last mount was in 2005 and it cost $595. I was shocked to see quotes of $1400+!

I now do all euros and shot a buck yesterday that will be getting ready for another euro today. I now take them to the Hutterites as they charge $40 and do an amazing job! They have done my last 2. I couldn't do it for the cost if including my time.

To degrease, I use TSP in moderation. Wrap you antler bases with tin foil before doing any of the boiling. I paint on the 40% peroxide and then wrap in saran wrap. When I did them, that is.

Again great buck!

Cheers

SS
Thanks!

Ya that price is getting up there. I had a hard time deciding on what to do. I'm very happy with choosing the euro mount. I love it.

And you know the best part.. the boss actually likes it and said I can hang it upstairs.

I didn't even think of the hutterites. They process meat, and everything else. So why not. For $40 you can't go wrong. It took me 6 hours to do. Plus materials. Propane, soap, peroxide. So that's a smokin deal.

Post some pics when you get your skull back I'd love to see it.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:32 PM

The mount got mounted today. I glued a couple of 1x4s together. A bit of stain and satin clear. I had beveled the holes and had dark screws sitting flush. But had an issue with one of the anchors. Then had to replace with a bigger anchor. That's why the screw heads are visible. I think I'll hit them with a dark marker. Along with the broken tine tip.

I hope you guys like it.

Old 03-19-2024, 09:29 PM

Looks good. I have been working on mine for the last couple of days. It was frozen since November and made for a lot more work than what was necessary.

I never thought to boil the scull in the peroxide mix. Yours is a lot whiter than mine. I am using peroxide soaked paper towel on the scull but it is still a work in progress.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Looks good. I have been working on mine for the last couple of days. It was frozen since November and made for a lot more work than what was necessary.

I never thought to boil the scull in the peroxide mix. Yours is a lot whiter than mine. I am using peroxide soaked paper towel on the scull but it is still a work in progress.
Thanks! Are you able to get some of the peroxide paste?

Old 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Are you able to get some of the peroxide paste?

Just the stuff from the drug store. It is coming along nicely but takes a little longer.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:42 AM

Looks Great! Good job!

Quote:
The mount got mounted today. I glued a couple of 1x4s together. A bit of stain and satin clear. I had beveled the holes and had dark screws sitting flush. But had an issue with one of the anchors. Then had to replace with a bigger anchor. That's why the screw heads are visible. I think I'll hit them with a dark marker. Along with the broken tine tip.

I hope you guys like it.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Just the stuff from the drug store. It is coming along nicely but takes a little longer.
I think i boiled mine a bit too long in the peroxide. Plus I had to stain the antlers where they got bleached by the peroxide. Hopefully you can avoid doing that.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Looks Great! Good job!
Thanks! Little jobs take so long to complete. I'm glad it's hanging up now. And I can reach it if someone wants a closer look.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:58 PM

Looks good in the end

Yeah I am not a fan of boiling because of what you experienced and it weakens the joints in the skull. Been down that road and prefer to give my euro to someone with beetles. Maceration works well too but it’s nasty

I have never tested it myself but have heard meal worms will clean a skull too
Old 03-20-2024, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Looks good in the end

Yeah I am not a fan of boiling because of what you experienced and it weakens the joints in the skull. Been down that road and prefer to give my euro to someone with beetles. Maceration works well too but it’s nasty

I have never tested it myself but have heard meal worms will clean a skull too
Thank! It was cheap and easy, but I might do it different next time. My skull is kind of flaky. Maybe from boiling in peroxide for too long? I'm still super happy with it. But might change it up next time. This is assuming I have good luck hunting in the future tho lol.