Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-28-2014, 03:56 PM

Default fly fishing punta cana DR

wondering if any has brought a flyrod to punta cana and tried fly fishing from the beach? heading there in april and wouldn't mind sneaking away for some fishing if its worth going
Old 01-28-2014, 10:17 PM

When in doubt always bring a rod.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:33 PM

Thumbs up DR

As already posted there are fish everywhere in the tropics, take a 8 or 9 wt and some chartreuse and white clousers and you will catch fish .... some steel trace too as cudas are everywhere and a blast to catch....do not forget the pliers!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:49 PM

Got a 9 wt do I need to get special line for the tropics am if so what do you recommend?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
Got a 9 wt do I need to get special line for the tropics am if so what do you recommend?
For Salt water you should use a salt water line. The line is much less supple and casts easier with the higher air and water temps.
I do like Scientific Angler mastery series and have a few of them. I think the bonefish line would be your best bet if you are using one rod. My last line I decided to try the mastery series(bonefish) sharkskin salt water line and enjoy using it. You will run into situations where accuracy and longer casts really help you catch fish and this line does well. Watching you tube or getting someone to show you a strip set will be quite beneficial too.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:02 PM

Thumbs up Line

+1 on the bonefish line as a full sinker is not needed close to shore. I do not believe there are many flats there but if you can find any brackish water that is close to the beach there should be baby poons and maybe snook, check out the golf course in early morning before the golfers get out if there are water hazards there are likely fish in them.