Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-18-2012, 12:08 PM
sheephunter

Default Lifetime Hunting Ban

Something interesting that Wyoming is doing about poachers

http://www.gohuntn.com/gohuntn/19-ye...-lifetime-ban/

Three strikes, and you’re out. It’s a baseball rule that has been making its way into law enforcement, and last year, Wyoming‘s Game & Fish Department joined the fold. Anyone who is convicted of three counts of killing an antlered deer out of season within the span of 10 years commits a felony and faces a lifetime hunting ban in Wyoming and 36 other states who reciprocate punishments for poachers.

Colton Lapp, 19, is about to feel the full brunt of that new law. Lapp plead guilty to three counts of killing antlered deer out of season between December 19 and 28, killing three mule deer bucks. In addition to two previous convictions back in 2010, including illegally killing a taking a 210-plus inch mule deer buck, Lapp is in serious trouble.

“It looks like Lapp will lose his privilege to hunt, fish and trap for life and he is going to the state penitentiary for at least a while” said Worland Game Warden Matt Lentsch, according to the Northern Wyoming Daily News. “We’ll wait and see what he has to pay once the attorneys argue the fines, restitution and forfeiture amounts.”

Lapp will face 18-24 month prison sentences consecutively for each of three felony counts, in addition to a minimum fine of $5,000 upon the conviction of knowingly taking an antlered deer out of season.

And even if Lapp can avoid jail, a lifetime hunting and fishing ban for a 19-year-old is very harsh, but sounds like very necessary. –Brian McClintock
Old 07-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Gone Hunting

While it is a "feel good" law. unfortunately a hunting ban means nothing to a poacher. I'd like to see more jail time with lots of county work, clearing brush etc.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-18-2012, 12:12 PM

I like it!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:12 PM

Every once in a while there is justice,eh
Old 07-18-2012, 12:20 PM

Default ban

At least a step in the right direction! Piker
Old 07-18-2012, 12:25 PM

Life time bans are useless to those who already don't follow the rules!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:27 PM

red's right, that isn't going to stop a poacher but at least he'll be gone for Four and a half to six years and it's kinda hard to poach from inside the Pen.

19 and caught three times already? hmmmmm someone watching the rest of his family to see where he might have learned this behaviour from?

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
yup. He'll just poach full time now.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 PM

my self i can not see someone going to jail for shooting a few deer when they are letting rapeist and other fellons out because of over crowed Jails in the US. Heavy fines and bans should do the trick .
Old 07-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
yup. He'll just poach full time now.
Just making this official.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:12 PM

Thats right, he doesn't care about the rules now so it won't make any difference.Punishment needs to be stiffer. Or as the duke once said
"shoot em all and let god sort em out" got to hurt them where it counts.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:36 PM

Why limit it to antlered deer. Should be any poaching offensive. Cumulative with no year span limit. And a max fine with jail time. Poaching is poaching whether it is an antlered animal or a fish. All the same in my book and the current system is too lenient!
Old 07-18-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Why limit it to antlered deer. Should be any poaching offensive. Cumulative with no year span limit. And a max fine with jail time. Poaching is poaching whether it is an antlered animal or a fish. All the same in my book and the current system is too lenient!
Right you are, make the punishment harsher. Let the punishment be decided by us, the law abiding hunters and fisherfolks. Not the bleeding hearted tree huggers.
nuff said:
Old 07-18-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Agreed.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:01 PM

Hit them hard in the pocketbook, one of the deterrents that would seem to have some effect.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
While it is a "feel good" law. unfortunately a hunting ban means nothing to a poacher. I'd like to see more jail time with lots of county work, clearing brush etc.
Agreed. When his cell mate Bubba crawls in his bunk in the middle of the night and whispers sweet nothings in his ear, he might regret his decision to pull the trigger,LOL!
Old 07-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Banned

i like the attempt and direction....but i dont think the results will be there with this particular pile of dooty. hopefully it is enough deterrent for the next guy who just cheats a little.

Last edited by ishootbambi; 07-18-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:45 PM

Along with jail time it should include a ban of the sport, fines and sieze and sell the equipment. If its hunting, truck, atv, guns and misc. If its fishing then truck, boat, gear etc. Nice to see the big penalty but agree, he will just keep doing it unless he becomes someones special friend while in jail, that might make him think twice before he does it again
Old 07-18-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Redfrog, you are dead on with your coment, poachers just don't do the law thing, this goof will be killing deer as soon as they let him out. What this young fella needs is a good old fashion Huntin Accident!!
Old 07-18-2012, 04:42 PM

He wasnt hunting in the first place. He was poaching. Stupid law as poachers dont care about the laws. Waste of money for the state and tax payers, but I guess you need to appear as though you are doing something to justify your paychecks.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
Every once in a while there is justice,eh
more often than not,injustice.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:44 PM

So I wonder what happens if you receive a life time ban on hunting, and then you are caught hunting, or I guess it would actually be poaching, again?
Old 07-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
So I wonder what happens if you receive a life time ban on hunting, and then you are caught hunting, or I guess it would actually be poaching, again?
then they up it to never....EVER....
Old 07-18-2012, 06:46 PM

lol
Old 07-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Banned

Thats great but how many guys get caught 3 times in 10 years?

Id rather see something like this applied after repeated minor offences... after the second serious offence and right away if it is a protected species or if there are multiple offences related to one incident.

3 times in 10 years...that could represent a hundred poached animals between each time the guy is nicked.

the other thing is...as has already been stated.

Will they care?

They are already poaching so what difference would it make to them?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:48 PM

Come on guys we live in CANADA the land of the living free. We cannot even keep individuals convicted of murder in jail.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
i like the attempt and direction....but i dont think the results will be there with this particular pile of dooty. hopefully it is enough deterrent for the next guy who just cheats a little.
x2..... well put
Old 07-18-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Kinda how I see it. It's like the guy who has a lifetime driving ban for having 3 impaired driving charges, and he just drives without a license, registration, or insurance, keeps getting caught, doesn't pay the fines, doesn't do the time, and keeps driving drunk.....and then they kill someone, and their lawyer argues about how his drinking is a disease, and he's a victim of his parents, Fetal Alcohol syndrome, blah blah blah. We all know that guy.

If I remember correctly, there is a complete ban on carrying handguns in Canada too. We all know how that is working out.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-19-2012, 12:56 AM

move in the right direction. so how many other animals did he light up and didn't get caught for, so obviously when he gets outta the can he's gonna be right back at it.

make it illegal to possess a firearm, bow etc and that's another step in the right direction.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Something interesting that Wyoming is doing about poachers

http://www.gohuntn.com/gohuntn/19-ye...-lifetime-ban/

Three strikes, and you’re out. It’s a baseball rule that has been making its way into law enforcement, and last year, Wyoming‘s Game & Fish Department joined the fold. Anyone who is convicted of three counts of killing an antlered deer out of season within the span of 10 years commits a felony and faces a lifetime hunting ban in Wyoming and 36 other states who reciprocate punishments for poachers.

Colton Lapp, 19, is about to feel the full brunt of that new law. Lapp plead guilty to three counts of killing antlered deer out of season between December 19 and 28, killing three mule deer bucks. In addition to two previous convictions back in 2010, including illegally killing a taking a 210-plus inch mule deer buck, Lapp is in serious trouble.

“It looks like Lapp will lose his privilege to hunt, fish and trap for life and he is going to the state penitentiary for at least a while” said Worland Game Warden Matt Lentsch, according to the Northern Wyoming Daily News. “We’ll wait and see what he has to pay once the attorneys argue the fines, restitution and forfeiture amounts.”

Lapp will face 18-24 month prison sentences consecutively for each of three felony counts, in addition to a minimum fine of $5,000 upon the conviction of knowingly taking an antlered deer out of season.

And even if Lapp can avoid jail, a lifetime hunting and fishing ban for a 19-year-old is very harsh, but sounds like very necessary. –Brian McClintock

And if he kills a man , hes free in 4 yrs.