Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-14-2023, 09:55 PM

Default Crossbow for ACL Damage Person

I know that the Purest in the Bow World may objected, but my Bride Ripped all 4 of Her ALC in Her left Shoulder in December. .Any suggestions on a Crossbow selection. Thanks
Old 07-15-2023, 05:22 AM

For quality, reliability and durability I can recommend Excalibur crossbows.

For a lady I suggest you want to look at the different Micro models they sell, but not sure which one exactly to recommend.

Also I'd suggest getting the crank for cocking/de-cocking the string.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 07-17-2023, 08:16 PM

I just checked out Excalibur website, there's 3 nice looking Micro crossbows.

The Micro Extreme and Wolverine both are advertised as shooting 360fps, your actual velocity may vary.
The only real difference between them is camo paint on one model, which means it's $200 more.

They also have a Micro 380 which claims to shoot 380fps, but I see no advantage to it over the Wolverine or Extreme.

I have the Charger EXT cocking aid and highly recommend it.

You can install the Charger EXT on any Excalibur crossbow, and the device quickly detaches from the crossbow or leave it on and just remove the handle. The handle comes off quickly and easily also.

From personal experience I suggest just detaching the handle and drop it in your pocket/pack in case you need to re-cock the crossbow for a follow up shot.

https://excaliburcrossbow.com/access...ger-ext-crank/

https://excaliburcrossbow.com/bows/micro-extreme/

https://excaliburcrossbow.com/bows/micro-380/

https://excaliburcrossbow.com/bows/w...h-anniversary/
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 08-05-2023, 02:48 PM

Wicked Ridge Raider.
Old 08-06-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromcanmore View Post
I know that the Purest in the Bow World may objected, but my Bride Ripped all 4 of Her ALC in Her left Shoulder in December. .Any suggestions on a Crossbow selection. Thanks
Add to above; a nicely written letter from her doctor addressed to Alberta Fish and Wildlife explaining her inability to pull a normal bow and requesting she can use a cross bow.....

I had and still have permanent damage and I had no problem getting cross bow access in the bow season. A crank or pulley cocking is a must.....Demonical has some good suggestions....

First thing is, don't apologize to the purists. I am sure they would do the same just to stay in the field. They forget that a compound bow is not a recurve bow either.

Good luck

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 08-07-2023, 10:31 PM

Get a raven they’re nice and compact. Only buy an Excalibur if you like a big wide slow clunky bow that takes up a lot of room and get snagged on everything.
Old 08-07-2023, 11:23 PM

Default Ravin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Get a raven they’re nice and compact. Only buy an Excalibur if you like a big wide slow clunky bow that takes up a lot of room and get snagged on everything.
Laughing at your comments

FAQ Ravin Crossbows

How do I change my strings and cables?

Once your crossbow needs to have string and cables replaced we would recommend taking it to your local Ravin dealer. You can find the closest dealer with our Dealer Locator on RAVINCROSSBOWS.COM.

How long should string and cables last?

We recommend changing the string and cables every 2 years or 400 shots (2 years or 200 shots for R18 and R500 Series), whichever occurs first. The string life can vary depending on the care and maintenance, number of shots, and weather conditions during use.

Where can I get my Ravin serviced?

At any authorized Ravin dealer. To find a dealer near you, please use the dealer locator that is on RAVINCROSSBOWS.COM.

I would never buy a bow that I couldn't service myself. I had my own press for compound bows but obtaining a press for a Ravin may be problematic. Ravin crossbows might be fine crossbows but the answers to the the three FAQs above steer me away hard. I steer away from any compound crossbow because they cannot be serviced by the owner in the field.

Anyone can change a string on an Excalibur, anywhere, and there are no cables.
Old 08-08-2023, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Laughing at your comments

FAQ Ravin Crossbows

How do I change my strings and cables?

Once your crossbow needs to have string and cables replaced we would recommend taking it to your local Ravin dealer. You can find the closest dealer with our Dealer Locator on RAVINCROSSBOWS.COM.

How long should string and cables last?

We recommend changing the string and cables every 2 years or 400 shots (2 years or 200 shots for R18 and R500 Series), whichever occurs first. The string life can vary depending on the care and maintenance, number of shots, and weather conditions during use.

Where can I get my Ravin serviced?

At any authorized Ravin dealer. To find a dealer near you, please use the dealer locator that is on RAVINCROSSBOWS.COM.

I would never buy a bow that I couldn't service myself. I had my own press for compound bows but obtaining a press for a Ravin may be problematic. Ravin crossbows might be fine crossbows but the answers to the the three FAQs above steer me away hard. I steer away from any compound crossbow because they cannot be serviced by the owner in the field.

1005 excaliber they may be a little awkward,but they are bullet/arrowproof.
Old 08-08-2023, 02:04 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post

I would never buy a bow that I couldn't service myself.

I steer away from any compound crossbow because they cannot be serviced by the owner in the field.

BINGO!

Their newer offerings are comparatively a lot more narrow than their old stock.

As for speed, who really needs anything over say 380 to 405 fps? Really?

Clunky? Not at all. In fact very smooth and incredibly accurate.

Also happen to have THE Best Warranty in the business (which thankfully most will never need) - covers the life of the bow itself, not the owner.

Had buddies whose compounds went south while on hunting trips.
Trip over for them as they wandered off to try and get a spot booked at the bow shop for repairs.
My & my Excalibur carried on in both occasions to rather successful hunts.

Excalibur's Rule!

And I certainly don't feel the need for any bow that offers training wheels!!

Cheers,
Nog