Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2016, 09:12 AM

[QUOTE=KegRiver;3304497]I have been to Fort Vermilion many times, if there is anything of his preserved there, I'm not aware of it.

However, the original Hudson's Bay trading post is still in use today.
They've added on to the original log structure and to the best of my knowledge no effort has been made to preserve anything of historic significance.[/

The original Old Bay House, home of the Chief Factor, still exists and is now part of the Fort Vermilion National Historic Site. It was listed as such in 1968, for its importance as site of North West Company and Hudson's Bay Company posts, and is the only such HBC building still sitting in its original location in Alberta.

The Fort Vermilion Visitor Centre is hosted in a 1923 dove-tailed log house. Built on the banks of the Peace River, it was moved to its present location in 1983. Another heritage building is the 1907 Clark House, build for the Hudson's Bay Clerk quarters, and moved in 1994 to the present location near the Visitor Centre. The Trappers Shack , built in 1912, is another dove-tailed log house. It was listed as a provincial Historic Site and is currently being used as a restaurant.

The museum in FV has a ton of historical information on the area, including crop research from the early 1900's onward from the Experimental farm that was established there.