Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-19-2012, 01:45 PM

Default Stole cameras

3 GONE dang it some one stole 3 of my trail cameras all brand new archers choice stealth 8.0 megapixel trail cameras. they just came on land that i know i only have permission on and took them and the land owner comfirmed that iwas the only person that has legaly been in there
Perch 50 +
Goldeye 10
Sauger 1
Sucker 5
Old 07-19-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonlazo2 View Post
3 GONE dang it some one stole 3 of my trail cameras all brand new archers choice stealth 8.0 megapixel trail cameras. they just came on land that i know i only have permission on and took them and the land owner comfirmed that iwas the only person that has legaly been in there

Sorry to hear this man... That's gotta be a huggeee ****-off.

I really want to get a trail cam, but I am worried about this reason exactly.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:52 PM

Spy Point. Tiny W.
They won't get away with it again
Old 07-19-2012, 01:53 PM

im thinking of takeing the one i ranover last year and set it up in the open and put a better more camo one some where and capture the person
Perch 50 +
Goldeye 10
Sauger 1
Sucker 5
Old 07-19-2012, 01:54 PM

I use these http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?page...=1718&ID=39045

I know they wont stop someone who is determined... but most thieves are lazy
Old 07-19-2012, 01:59 PM

to bad you cant ELECTRIFY them that would stop a thief

Thats how you tell that hunting season is just around the corner, when the reports of the cams getting stollen start popping up......

We had that happen a few years ago and the only other people that had permission are very well known in the hunting community. It totally sucks azz when you can't prove who did it. I like your idea of putting out the decoy cam and catch the bastiches in the act. Make sure you post pics of them too when you catch them. Good luck with your endevours

Redneck
Old 07-19-2012, 02:02 PM

If I ever purchase trail cams, they will be a unit that has the capability of storing the images remotely. At least if they are stolen, I will likely have pictures of the thief.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:20 PM

I've had a couple taken on me..... really sucks... I just started buying super cheap cams so when they do go missing it doesn't hurt so bad.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:31 PM

These crooks must go looking for these cameras, who would trespass or walk game trails just to look for cameras. I would like to thinks its not hunters stealing from hunters but you have to wonder. On private land people lose stands and cameras all the time. Sure would like to hear someone got caught in the act by a second camera and get their face planted all over the social media and forums like this. That just sucks that your hard earned money is gone and on private land where it should have been safer. Maybe the landowner will catch someone in a week or two looking for your replacements.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonlazo2 View Post
im thinking of takeing the one i ranover last year and set it up in the open and put a better more camo one some where and capture the person
Put a sign underneath it that says:

If you are standing in front of this camera, then the camera with off-site download capability can see you. Smile!!

Trust me, the guy will leave and never come back. He doesn't know if there really is another camera capturing all of his actions, just the threat of one will make him leave.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:06 PM

Default Cams

I have 6 and have never had one stolen, and they are in some of the most poached/tresspassed land in the province! I never have one on a field edge or quad trail, as I suspect they would last about 5 minutes. I walk in about 200 yards into the bush and set up on Animal trails. It's amazing how many trails are just inside the tree line and how few deuche bags make it back there.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:01 PM

And People wonder why there are no Trail Camera photographs of Bigfoot....
Old 07-19-2012, 08:11 PM

To bad they didn't come equipped with a gps... Only a few things I hate more then thieves.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:29 PM

I have had a couple go missing in the last couple years so last year I set one up to capture game, and another hidden real well to capture the thief....I set it so it only took pics of the other camera....worked pretty well...caught 4 people in the act....quick trip to the cops and had my camera back and charges laid....and I still had pics of the critters
Old 07-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezner View Post
I have had a couple go missing in the last couple years so last year I set one up to capture game, and another hidden real well to capture the thief....I set it so it only took pics of the other camera....worked pretty well...caught 4 people in the act....quick trip to the cops and had my camera back and charges laid....and I still had pics of the critters
how did you manage that? were they people you knew?
Old 07-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Banned

I don't even know why guys bother anymore.

I was going to pick a couple up but then read yet another one of these posts and decided to save my money.
I still manage to fill my tags and with respectable animals.

You should be able but can't leave anything layin around and for all the grief and loss I'm convinced that it just isn't worth it unless youare a hundred miles from nowhere and in the far end of a box canyon.

Seems like the only way to do this for most folks is to put a spy plane up to watch the game camera that is watching your other game camera and have real time feed along with fast air and ground patrols to make sure nobody screws you.

That sucks man.

Funny thing is I never even notice the darn things when I'm out.
I guess bevcause I never really think to look for em.

Whoever is doing this must be there for that purpose alone and really looking....guys seem pretty good at hiding them from anyone not intent on stealing.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Banned

^^^ i have seen lots of them around the woods. i usually smile and wave....but stealing them has never crossed my mind. ill be honest...i have a couple out right now, and even though you have to go through my friends yard to access the property, i am a little concerned. thankfully i know there is only one other hunter that has permission there....and i know he is trustworthy.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
^^^ i have seen lots of them around the woods. i usually smile and wave....but stealing them has never crossed my mind. ill be honest...i have a couple out right now, and even though you have to go through my friends yard to access the property, i am a little concerned. thankfully i know there is only one other hunter that has permission there....and i know he is trustworthy.
I don't use cameras but one day I was sitting in my tree stand when two young guys came along. I always hang my pack in the tree about head high. These two gys spotted my pack but not me. They came over to the tree and reached for my pack. As I watched them I said in a sharp voice."THATS MINE". Well I was about 15 feet up and I'm sure I could have shook there hands. They just about ran off, never said a word. I have seen cameras and packs hanging and never entertained the thought of taking them.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hmmm... now I'm creeped out....theres probaby pics of my bits and pieces all over the darn place....
Old 07-20-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
how did you manage that? were they people you knew?
Yeah they were all local kids and the cops knew them from past run ins