Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-24-2009, 12:43 AM

Default .303 british rifle

so here is the deal..my father used to own a .303 british rifle that belonged to my grandfather and that my dad refinished, re-checkered etc...but when the new registry laws came into action my dad didn't want to get his PAL (he has it now though)...and since i was out of the country at the time my dad just gave it to his brother....

now my question is this...is this a gun worth getting back...for more than sentimental reasons? i do some varminting and i am going to start elk this season. now i know the old addage that the .303 has takem more game than almost any other caliber in canada..but is that really true?? is it an adequate rifle?? what is the recoil like compared to say a .270 or a 7mm-08?? are reloading supplies for the .303 readily available?

and lastly..i am not too sure what brand/model it was...from what i can remember it did not have a clip...but it did have a floor plate....a very smooth action on the bolt...and flip up sites that i loved.....anyone have any guesses??....and does anyone know if a scope can be mounted on it??

so, what say ye gun sages of the board....should i pursue this or is it better to save up and get me a new rifle?
Old 08-24-2009, 05:23 AM

If the rifle in question didn't have a magazine, but had a floorplate with peep sights, it was likely a P14 or m17 Enfield, one piece stock with the big "ears" on the back to protect the rear sight.
As far as the cartridge itself goes, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with it i=other than the fact the rifle that it was most often chamber for was war -time produced, with a single locking lug that tends to overstress the brass sometimes.
But that is because of the rifle , not the cartridge.
When the cartridge is chambered in a rifle like the 1895 Winchester, or a decent martini, or the P14 or the M17, or some other such rifle with double locking lug and a stiffer action, it is quite fine.

It has mild recoil, but because of the Military stock design, many hate it.

But do not think it is under powdered or incapable of killing as it is VERY capable of doing such .
Out to 250 yards or so in most guns it is right there.
he rifles it is generally chambered in are tough customers as well, and will take a lot of abuse.
if I was in the position to get a family heirloom back I would, as well.

I have two Enfields BTW, that have been in my family for some time, one in a custom stock with a 3X Kahles scope on it, and another , which is a factory complete and original Long branch built #4 Enfield .
This rifle never saw service, but was and still used as a target rifle.
it still will hold 1.5MOA or better.
I am in the process of getting a custom rifle put together at this moment by Bill Leeper, and it will be in .303 British.
Cat
Old 08-24-2009, 07:46 AM
Banned

.303 will deffinatly do about anything the .308 or .300 savage will do. I had one and didnt like it cause it kicked like the devil due to the stock design, like many military rifles. Also on mine the scope mounts were not as low as they are on a modern hunting rifle, not sure if this typical.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:23 PM

so i haven't seen or handled this rifle since i was a teenager so i am trying to recall more info...i know that it did not have the full wood stock..the barrel was exposed...not sure if it had been modified to look like that or if that is how it was made. and i remember shooting it at 13 and thinking the recoil was no problem....i wouldn't call it a family heirloom...my grandpa got it ...along with 12 others that he sold....for cheap cheap post ww2....not sure if it ever saw service..but i am sure he took some deer with it. i just remember thinking it felt like an amazing rifle when i was a kid.

is ammo readily available for the .303 brit?
Old 08-24-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post

is ammo readily available for the .303 brit?
Ammo is ALWAYS available, everywhere. It also reloads well. I have only ever used the 303 and it has taken elk, moose, deer, bear & cougar. One elk was over 300 yards; one moose about the same.

Mine is scoped and I've never had any trouble with it.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterbyheart View Post
Ammo is ALWAYS available, everywhere. It also reloads well. I have only ever used the 303 and it has taken elk, moose, deer, bear & cougar. One elk was over 300 yards; one moose about the same.

Mine is scoped and I've never had any trouble with it.
very good to know.....

i just talked to my dad again..and it seems the gun came with a full wood stock...but my grandpa...a bit of a wood worker...made a new stock for it..and has taken...according to my dad...many deer, elk and moose with it...so more and more i am thinking i need this rifle back.

i am going to have my dad talk to my uncle and see if i can borrow it for this seasons hunt...and then maybe we just won't give it back hahaha
Old 09-02-2009, 07:53 AM

Default 303 British

Amazing response to your Thread about the 303, I learned a lot about my Mk 2
and I hope all of you who own them have as much fun with yours as I do.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:02 AM

I have a #4, made at Ishapore, supposedly from re-cycled railroad tracks. Didn't realize till recently that it's actually stocked in Mahogany.
Grizz
Old 09-02-2009, 04:41 PM

Default 303

I have 12 in my collection, starting with the Lee Medford which was the pre curser to the Lee Enfield and is stamped by Queen Vicky from the Boor War all the way up the line, even a Lee Enfield in 410 shot gun from India. If you want a real challenge, every stamping on the rifle means something, there is a guy out there (can't recall his name right now) who wrote a book on just the different markings and stamps on the Enfield rifles. Anyone knowing the whereabouts of any millitary wood and metal straps I would be interested as I have 4 that are not restored back to Millitary configuration yet.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:45 PM

[QUOTE=xsniper;381471] If you want a real challenge, every stamping on the rifle means something, there is a guy out there (can't recall his name right now) who wrote a book on just the different markings and stamps on the Enfield rifles. QUOTE]

Ian Skennerton is the authority on what all the markings mean, and wrote several books on the Lee Enfield. The best one for markings is "The Broad Arrow"
Old 09-03-2009, 07:05 AM

Default 303

Yes that is the man.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:19 PM

Default 303 churchill rifle

Hey guys I just happen to read your posts and it's good to know that the 303 is good enough or strong enough better said to be used for up to moose hunting, I have a 303 #4 MKi = 12/43 and I think the 12/43 is the manufacturing year of the gun. Does anyone know about the # 4 ? = I purchased it from a friend in 1971 and I have never shot it yet, It's pretty well brand new as my friend only shot it a few times before I purchased it. It is engraved as follows, 303 = 2.22 = 18.5 tons. does it mean it will shoot 2 different loads or are the 2 bullets the same caliber ?
By the way what scope is racommended for this gun ?

Great guys , keep it up
Old 11-27-2015, 09:38 PM

I wouldn't scope your rifle , personally.
However, a 180 grain Speer or Sierra will turn a moose on its ear right now, and if you can find the big Woodleighs or C.I.L. bullets that are 215's , they work well ,too.
own three Enfileds and a custom ruger in .303, all work very well.
One is scoped but it was on there before i got the rifle .
Cat
Old 11-27-2015, 10:13 PM

Thanks Cat.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:14 PM

Default new to me .303

Interesting thread as I just picked up a Churchill #4 in very nice shape. Very similar to Clash's but it was scoped so haven't checked for all the possible different markings yet. The barrel and butt plate are stamped Churchill and a number 52 is stamped on the receiver (maybe year of mfg). Bluing (blacking ?) is like new except for a little rubbing at the muzzle tip. The Monte Carlo stock has a beautiful schnable (?) fore end. So nice to have a metal mag (flush mount) rather than the newer plastic (stamped made in England). Looking forward to researching the venerable .303.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:09 PM

.303 British is one of the best bangs for your buck (no pun intended)! I know a hand full of guys who have purchased these rifles for a case of beer many years ago, and still use it today as there go to gun!!!
Old 11-30-2015, 05:38 PM

Default .303 to the range

Had my new-to-me Churchill #4 to the range today and it went very well. Zeroed the scope at 35 yds and last two shots out of six were almost touching and in the center of the bull. Very sweet shooter with Winchester 180 gr power points and am very happy with this rifle. It is scoped with a Bushnell 3-9-40 as that is the one I happened to have on hand.

Did some running around South Calgary to see what is available in .303. CT Southland had three 180 Power points ($34) and no sp. - also had a few Hornady 174 gr Vintage (into the $40+). CT Shawnessey had a few Winchester soft point for $33. Walmart has the best price for Winchester 150/180 but several had no product. The Shooting Edge has no .303. Wholesale has some but a bit pricey - into the $40+. Cabela's only had a box - forget the brand but also in the $40s.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:32 PM

The SMLE is a excellent rifle! The .303 has taken tons of game all across Canada. As a military rifle, it's killed more Germans than rotten sauerkraut and the autobahn.

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!