Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-05-2020, 07:10 PM

All three will work I've been using sucker belly the last two years and can't say it's been better than the anchovies.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2020, 10:10 PM

Hear now and staying the night, today was slow with me get the only bite at sunset and I lost it trying to get my transducer out of the hole lol. Snow pack is so so and my buddy has got stuck about 3x and I plucked him out with the slings no problem . We both have a few slings each. Nothing’s really chasing for us today and dropping the bait on the bottom didn’t get any results either . We’re using sucker belly for bait. Hopefully tomorrow is better .

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 03-06-2020, 06:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
Hear now and staying the night, today was slow with me get the only bite at sunset and I lost it trying to get my transducer out of the hole lol. Snow pack is so so and my buddy has got stuck about 3x and I plucked him out with the slings no problem . We both have a few slings each. Nothing’s really chasing for us today and dropping the bait on the bottom didn’t get any results either . We’re using sucker belly for bait. Hopefully tomorrow is better .
Yeah I had a few on ice burn outs to get out of a drift but back and forth and the duratracks bit hard....seems to be only In The afternoon after the snow got soft that there was any concern....4x4 and good tires.

The lakers are tired from a hard winter of catch and release.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-06-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yeah I had a few on ice burn outs to get out of a drift but back and forth and the duratracks bit hard....seems to be only In The afternoon after the snow got soft that there was any concern....4x4 and good tires.

The lakers are tired from a hard winter of catch and release.....
Ya I have the dura tracs to and I’m fine so far, my buddy has Baloney skins on his truck. Fishing’s still dead this morning and I really only had one chase and I’ve also used small tubes and sucker belly and laid it on the bottom but nothing’s picking it up.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:24 AM

Just wondering what people's opinions are that fish this lake Lots I never fish it in the summer so I don't know how the bite is then, do any of you guys think all these Catch and Release fish with new anglers in cold temperatures in the winter time are hurting the population just a thought, been ice fishing it for 12 years and every year seems to be worse.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:42 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Just wondering what people's opinions are that fish this lake Lots I never fish it in the summer so I don't know how the bite is then, do any of you guys think all these Catch and Release fish with new anglers in cold temperatures in the winter time are hurting the population just a thought, been ice fishing it for 12 years and every year seems to be worse.

I believe that there is always going to be fish killed when angling whether its winter or summer but that being said I would like to keep a slot sized fish.
Summer time is no different from the winter as in when the lake gets hot regarding the lakers. My personal experience if your a hard laker angler you will move lots, change it up lots and will have success but that is earned. If I am lazy, don't change it up and stay put I can get skunked just like anyone else....sometimes I just sit and chat, sip a hot chocolate and enjoy being outdoors which to me is very enjoyable.
I have gotten 3 landed and lost 6 in 30 minutes ice fishing which was a blast and last summer 32 lakers in the boat in 1.5hrs....barely had time to get set up and we were on...many double headers....not including the ones that got off...and of course this is not everyday...sometimes I just go to French bay, sulk and catch pike

Old 03-06-2020, 08:50 AM

Yes the older I get the less I do move around alot,the last few trips I stayed in one spot all day just because of the weather and the amount of effort to move slowly rigging up where I can be more mobile. But these trips to Cold Lake or just warm-ups for my Manitoba trips anyway now just noticed the fishing has been less and less every year.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:50 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Ya I have the dura tracs to and I’m fine so far, my buddy has Baloney skins on his truck. Fishing’s still dead this morning and I really only had one chase and I’ve also used small tubes and sucker belly and laid it on the bottom but nothing’s picking it up.
He owes you beer or two

Bounce around the lake today...If the little shack is open at the launch pick up some 5-7" minnows...when you lay them on the bottom I use a treble at the front of the fish about an inch up ensuring that the hooks face towards the tail, the other treble faces the same way but it an inch from the tail...12" from there I have my lead weight...just before I lower it down I puncture the under belly and let the juice's flow..
reasoning the hook placement is that the laker will bump the bait fish and take it head first...swim off in which the hooks will pivot and set...
Good luck...beauty day today eh!

Old 03-06-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post

I’ve never had good luck in the winter here but I guess when the bites on it’s go time. Summer time again I only fished the lake a few times but me and my buddy do pretty good.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
He owes you beer or two

Bounce around the lake today...If the little shack is open at the launch pick up some 5-7" minnows...when you lay them on the bottom I use a treble at the front of the fish about an inch up ensuring that the hooks face towards the tail, the other treble faces the same way but it an inch from the tail...12" from there I have my lead weight...just before I lower it down I puncture the under belly and let the juice's flow..
reasoning the hook placement is that the laker will bump the bait fish and take it head first...swim off in which the hooks will pivot and set...
Good luck...beauty day today eh!
Right on thank you I appreciate it a lot .

Old 03-06-2020, 12:22 PM

FishHunterPro hows the bite so far ? Hopefully you have had some luck since the morning . What area are you fishing?
Old 03-06-2020, 02:14 PM

Slow for me today. One landed and missed a few others. I’m by the provincial park point
Old 03-06-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartly View Post
FishHunterPro hows the bite so far ? Hopefully you have had some luck since the morning . What area are you fishing?
It’s picked up for us in the last 2hrs, fishing are chasing now and I finally landed on and my buddy got 2 so far and lost one. I’m not Familiar with the names of the lake but by the ab/sk border .

Old 03-07-2020, 08:10 AM

Anyone out this morning. Hows the weather out there? Were driving up for the day tomorrow. And most importantly. Hows the bite?
Old 03-07-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjacker View Post
Anyone out this morning. Hows the weather out there? Were driving up for the day tomorrow. And most importantly. Hows the bite?
Just to add to the fun. Env. Canada:

Quote:
A Pacific weather system moving through Alberta will bring 10-20 centimetres of snow to central and eastern Alberta today. The heaviest swath of snow is expected from Forestburg to Cold Lake. The City of Edmonton could see between 10-15 centimetres total, especially eastern portions of the city. The snow will taper off Sunday morning as the system moves into Saskatchewan.

Be prepared to adjust your driving with changing road conditions. Visibility may be suddenly reduced at times in heavy snow. Take frequent breaks and avoid strain when clearing snow.
Good luck!
Old 03-07-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjacker View Post
It’s windy and snowy. 4x4 is a must. Fishing is on the slow side. Landed 2 and lost 2 this morning so far
Old 03-07-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikehunter1989 View Post
It’s windy and snowy. 4x4 is a must. Fishing is on the slow side. Landed 2 and lost 2 this morning so far
Same here , me and my buddy got one each today using very small white tube jigs . Ended up getting 3 yesterday and my pal got 2 all in the later afternoon. Mornings and evenings have been dead.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikehunter1989 View Post
Quote:
Same here , me and my buddy got one each today using very small white tube jigs . Ended up getting 3 yesterday and my pal got 2 all in the later afternoon. Mornings and evenings have been dead.
Thanks guys. W'eve decided to leave Edmonton at noon. Spend the night .See you on the ice .
Old 03-07-2020, 04:02 PM

hows the fishing today? how about the snow. heavy snowfall warning in cold lake. is a 4x4 still ok around the marina and PP areas?
Old 03-07-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aly69 View Post
hows the fishing today? how about the snow. heavy snowfall warning in cold lake. is a 4x4 still ok around the marina and PP areas?
Fishing was slow but I did manage to land 7 today and lost 4 and missed a couple as well but it did have very slow stretches. It’s rough going and some deep drifts but it is still drivable. Just watch out where the rough ice areas are as they are drifted really badly and are hard to spot now.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:04 PM

ok thanks. ill be there tues. hopefully the snow wont get to deep. weather looks good. hopefully the fishing is too
Old 03-08-2020, 07:06 PM

Just got back from a trip and would echo that it was slower for the most part. Fished way north, way south and way east and didn't hit a great consistent bite anywhere. Wind was brutal save for Friday morning where it was gorgeous for a bit but then the front moved in.

Initially the travel conditions were good as everything was pretty compacted but the truck started to work hard Saturday evening with the extra snowfall. A fair amount fell overnight, we never headed out this morning but I can guarantee if you don't have good tires you will not want to be venturing to far alone if at all.

Weather is supposed to settle out this week, hopefully it will amount to some good fishing. Good luck to those heading out!
Old 03-08-2020, 08:42 PM

thx. hopefully the snow is not to bad out at the marina. ill probably just drive out from there and fish for a few days. was anybody out there today??
Old 03-08-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
thx. hopefully the snow is not to bad out at the marina. ill probably just drive out from there and fish for a few days. was anybody out there today??
There were a bunch of folks fishing out directly in front of the marina this morning. I wouldn't be worried about heading out in that area. You could easily walk out to fishing there anyways.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:39 PM

thats great. thanks
Old 03-09-2020, 06:00 PM

anybody ever catch walleye or pike while fishing for lakers in cold lake??
Old 03-09-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Usually in your in a lot deeper water than they inhabit but it could happen

Old 03-09-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Or big whitefish? Anyone see them on camera in the shallower areas? Not hole huntin just askin guys. Thank you for any response.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:35 PM

Really slow day today. Not many marks and those marks weren’t aggressive at all. Tomorrow’s a new day
Old 03-11-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
was out at garnet yesterday they chased like crazy but no hits the guys on the hump did well after down sizing to small pole dancer. might head out tomorrow

mack
A black jig head with a minnow seem to heat things up when they’re being fussy