Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-20-2024, 07:34 AM

Default Broken crony

So shot my crony metal pole which trashed the plastic strips that are above it. Has anyone used metal rods and some kind of plastic for the top strips and got it to work? Or what else can one do if there is a fix.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:43 AM

I use drinking straws as guides rather than the metal poles, so if you clip one it just means a new straw. I never use the metal poles or the plastic shields. If you are in the Edmonton area I probably have a spare spare rod and plastic cover. You might want to try using it with straws and without the cover just to see how you like that setup.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I use drinking straws as guides rather than the metal poles, so if you clip one it just means a new straw. I never use the metal poles or the plastic shields. If you are in the Edmonton area I probably have a spare spare rod and plastic cover. You might want to try using it with straws and without the cover just to see how you like that setup.
So you mean you just stuck the straw in and had nothing above? And it read your velocities without the plastic above?
Old 02-20-2024, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irina View Post
So you mean you just stuck the straw in and had nothing above? And it read your velocities without the plastic above?
Yes, that is what I mean. I have used Chrony's this way for 40 years. Always read fine.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Yes, that is what I mean. I have used Chrony's this way for 40 years. Always read fine.
Ok, I will try this tonight!, thanks you very much for the help.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:28 AM

Default Chrony

I used 1/8 wooden dowels, and didn’t bother with the diffusers.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:51 AM

those strips serve as a contrast so the screens can "see" the bullet as it passes. you may get inaccurate readings when the sky is overcast or with passing clouds without those strips. you might try coloring the bullets with a black felt marker so the screens can see them easier.
Old 02-20-2024, 01:43 PM

Quote:
What's the purpose of using straws and no sun shade ? Why even bother with the straws then ?

Old 02-20-2024, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
What's the purpose of using straws and no sun shade ? Why even bother with the straws then ?

Easier to center your shot,
I found it worked best on cloudy days, had mixed results with direct sun on the sensors , when the sun was low I leaned some cardboard against the dowels to keep the sensors in the shade.
Old 02-20-2024, 02:31 PM

Default Chrony

Give a call to Shooting Chrony INC at 1-800-385-3161 you should be able to order your required parts.
I found them great to deal with when I needed parts.
Old 02-20-2024, 02:56 PM

Your in luck. I just happen to have a Labradar looking for a new home.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:01 PM

Friend of mine used pieces of diffuser form a old fluorescent light. Everybody knows somebody who knows a electrician. if you are shooting bows inside
Old 02-20-2024, 03:56 PM

Thanks to everyone. I just tested it with a 22 and it works better than it did with the plastic above. It would read about 1 every 15 shots. Now it works good, I should have shot it years ago.
Old 02-20-2024, 05:03 PM

My original F1 Chrony, came with the cardboard diffusers.

After all sorts of jacking around and Jerry rigging solutions that didn’t really last, it was member Bushrat, who suggested using used windshield washer jugs as diffusers.

I still have my old F1, and use it occasionally to see how it stacks up against the Magnetospeed(sold off) and the LabRadar. The WW jug shields/diffusers still work great.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-20-2024, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
My original F1 Chrony, came with the cardboard diffusers.

After all sorts of jacking around and Jerry rigging solutions that didn’t really last, it was member Bushrat, who suggested using used windshield washer jugs as diffusers.

I still have my old F1, and use it occasionally to see how it stacks up against the Magnetospeed(sold off) and the LabRadar. The WW jug shields/diffusers still work great.
Will rig this up as well! Thanks
Old 02-20-2024, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrose View Post
Give a call to Shooting Chrony INC at 1-800-385-3161 you should be able to order your required parts.
I found them great to deal with when I needed parts.
I thought they went out of business ?

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-20-2024, 05:57 PM

Grizz is right, Chrony is out of business.

As far as diffusers, cloud or indirect sun, no diffuser needed, the rig reads bullets just fine. Only time i ever needed the diffusers was 17 caliber bullets travelling 4200 fps with bright clear skies and the sun almost directly overhead. Other than that, the chrony reads better and more consistently without the diffusers in place. Chrony is still a REALLY competent chronograph for very little money. If you have a laser bore sighter use it when setting up the Chrony, it makes setting them up WAY easier. Put your rifle in your rest and point your rifle at the target down range with the crosshiars on the bullseye, put the laser in the barrel, use where it lands on you while facing the rifle to align the chrono to the bullet path.

Irina, glad it worked out well for you. Guy can always learn stuff on here. It is amazing the amount of accumulated knowledge on AO.

Last edited by Dean2; 02-20-2024 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irina View Post
Thanks to everyone. I just tested it with a 22 and it works better than it did with the plastic above. It would read about 1 every 15 shots. Now it works good, I should have shot it years ago.
Awesome, your last sentence gave me a good laugh
Old 02-20-2024, 07:40 PM

Dean.....did you every have trouble shooting over snow on a sunny day? I remember running into that back in the day. The solution was to lay a blue (or any color I guess) tarp down under the tripod. Come to think.....maybe that was using diffusers too....can't recall.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Your in luck. I just happen to have a Labradar looking for a new home.
lol.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-20-2024, 09:34 PM

Just buy a Garmin!
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
Dean.....did you every have trouble shooting over snow on a sunny day? I remember running into that back in the day. The solution was to lay a blue (or any color I guess) tarp down under the tripod. Come to think.....maybe that was using diffusers too....can't recall.
Bright sun and light reflected from snow can be an issue, but diffusers don't solve this. Like I said earlier, the sky screens see the bullet or at least its shadow as it passes over them. We used a 1/4" sheet of plywood 2' by 4' to make a flat stable base to setup the tripod on snow. Kept the reflection down too. Never thought of using a tarp,should work good as long as you can get the tripod stable on it.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Just buy a Garmin!
No tarps, plywood, diffusers, cardboard straws or sun required. Batteries included. :-)

-Billy Molls
Old 02-21-2024, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
No tarps, plywood, diffusers, cardboard straws or sun required. Batteries included. :-)

Yes, but 800 bucks versus 80 bucks. For a lot of guys, they don't use a Chronograph often enough to warrant laying out $800 bucks, or that is just out of their price range. Good news for guys on a budget, used magneto speeds and Labradar are REALLY cheap now, as are used Chronys.

I had a Labradar a few years back, that I re-sold because it wasn't worth the cost for the performance. I wonder if Labradar's customer service got any better since they now have lots of competition, I know it sucked big time when I had mine. I have heard so much good stuff about the Garmin I am going to get one to try.

Last edited by Dean2; 02-21-2024 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:47 AM

I went to Magnetospeed to eliminate errors due to light conditions, and to simplify setup, but if I was buying a chronograph now, it would a Garmin. However, I don't use one enough these days, to justify buying a new one.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I went to Magnetospeed to eliminate errors due to light conditions, and to simplify setup, but if I was buying a chronograph now, it would a Garmin. However, I don't use one enough these days, to justify buying a new one.
I had a magnetospeed and I still went with a new garmin. So simple to set up, makes the magnetospeed setup a big pain. Tested the two together when I got my Garmin. Test almost didn’t happen when I got mad at the bayonet buckle not wanting to tighten up around the barrel. Probably use it every time I shoot at my range now to verify velocity.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
I had a magnetospeed and I still went with a new garmin. So simple to set up, makes the magnetospeed setup a big pain. Tested the two together when I got my Garmin. Test almost didn’t happen when I got mad at the bayonet buckle not wanting to tighten up around the barrel. Probably use it every time I shoot at my range now to verify velocity.
I actually had no issues with the Magnetospeed, but I have heard complaints about the Sporter version.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:49 AM

Yeah, that’s the model I had. Barrel strap would always loosen off it seemed. Always afraid of a bullet strike on the bayonet at the end of the barrel. No more worries about shooting anything now other than the target down range.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:33 PM

$800 bucks does seem like a lot. But if you divide that by 10 years that is $80. dollars a year or $6.67 bucks a month or ..... You get the idea! Good tools do cost more money up front but they pay off down the road.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.