Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2023, 04:52 PM

Default How to keep the dog home?

Hi folks, I moved out to an acreage about 3 years ago. No neighbors within a mile or so. Not much for fences around the place.
My dog who’s now nearly 6 was perfect until about 6 months ago the he started wandering.
I tried a gps collar, he scratched at that until he wrecked it. I put electric fence up that gives him about 5 acres and access to the garage, food, water etc. He’s gotten through that a few times now. I expect the grass is getting high enough there’s not much bite left in the fence anymore.
Any suggestion other than the obvious build a fence?
He’s fine when someone is home. Just when we’re gone to work for the day he goes visiting.
He’s a super happy guy and I think if the neighbors weren’t so nice when he showed up it might be different.
I’d hate to have to lock him in the garage during the day but I’m not sure what else to do until I can get a fence built.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham1 View Post
Hi folks, I moved out to an acreage about 3 years ago. No neighbors within a mile or so. Not much for fences around the place.
My dog who’s now nearly 6 was perfect until about 6 months ago the he started wandering.
I tried a gps collar, he scratched at that until he wrecked it. I put electric fence up that gives him about 5 acres and access to the garage, food, water etc. He’s gotten through that a few times now. I expect the grass is getting high enough there’s not much bite left in the fence anymore.
He’s fine when someone is home. Just when we’re gone to work for the day he goes visiting.
He’s a super happy guy and I think if the neighbors weren’t so nice when he showed up it might be different.
I’d hate to have to lock him in the garage during the day but I’m not sure what else to do until I can get a fence built.
Build a kennel that gives him access to the garage for shade.

Your neighbors will get tired of it sooner or later
Old 06-06-2023, 05:01 PM

Is he neutered ? Sounds like he's lonely by himself. I'd be breaking out as well.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8

Last edited by Grizzly Adams1; 06-06-2023 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-06-2023, 05:10 PM

Always the neighbors being too nice hey. I have a quarter on the edge of crown land, built a cabin for hunting and fishing. Every night I listen to the neighbors dogs barking around the cabin. His farm is a mile away, It definitely sounded like they were chasing game. I informed him and he blamed me for being nice to them. I never was , always yelled at them to get home. Resorted to a shot over the back to scare them once. Eventually saw them chase a moose across the road last fall about 2 miles from my place on crown. Let him know again and got a bad response. Called animal control they did nothing. Then saw them (2) with another dog way out on crown..... I haven't seen them since but once they pack up its a bad thing. If you're neighbors have dogs that could be a thing.
Old 06-06-2023, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp hunter View Post
Always the neighbors being too nice hey. I have a quarter on the edge of crown land, built a cabin for hunting and fishing. Every night I listen to the neighbors dogs barking around the cabin. His farm is a mile away, It definitely sounded like they were chasing game. I informed him and he blamed me for being nice to them. I never was , always yelled at them to get home. Resorted to a shot over the back to scare them once. Eventually saw them chase a moose across the road last fall about 2 miles from my place on crown. Let him know again and got a bad response. Called animal control they did nothing. Then saw them (2) with another dog way out on crown..... I haven't seen them since but once they pack up its a bad thing. If you're neighbors have dogs that could be a thing.
Thanks for that.
When I go pick him up and they’re feeding him treats and scratching his belly I don’t think it helps.
I’ll figure something out
Old 06-06-2023, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that.
When I go pick him up and they’re feeding him treats and scratching his belly I don’t think it helps.
I’ll figure something out
Still not the neighbors fault/ problem. You're welcome
Old 06-06-2023, 06:02 PM

could you string a cable about 5-6 feet high tie him to. Maybe from the house to a tree 50 or 100 feet away, so he still is able to have some freedom.
Old 06-06-2023, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp hunter View Post
Still not the neighbors fault/ problem. You're welcome
Never said it was
Old 06-06-2023, 06:16 PM

String a wire up high, from tree to tree put some stops on the wire, hook up your dog to the high wire, won't wrap up, your dog now has some freedom,
Old 06-06-2023, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Never said it was
You are implying that the neighbors treatment isn't helping. The whole point of my story is I was the opposite of nice and it made no difference, they continued to come back.
Old 06-06-2023, 06:50 PM

In my experience once they start it dont end.
Old 06-06-2023, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Build a kennel that gives him access to the garage for shade.

Your neighbors will get tired of it sooner or later
This,Your responsible for where he/she goes.Part of having a dog I guess.
Old 06-06-2023, 08:25 PM

The neighbours need to stop giving him that sort of attention. They have no business giving him treats and belly rubs.

I'm not saying that it's their fault that he started to wander. But they're playing a big part in why he's still doing it.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2023, 08:58 PM

I had the same problem 25 years ago. Then I started buying 6x10 ft mesh fence panels off Kijiji, the kind you use 2 clamps to hold them together. Put a doggy door in the house and started encircling the house and now up to about 160 panels encirling the whole yard. You zig zag the panels and they self support. Now we have more dogs and no worries about skunks, porcupines or coyotes "playing" with them at night.
Old 06-06-2023, 09:57 PM

Thanks to all for the help.
I received some excellent tips in a pm.
And my son and I put some panels up, some pallets, some more electric and hopefully that keeps him home until I can get a more permanent fix.
Old 06-07-2023, 06:20 AM

For around $500 you can pick up a 330’ roll of 48” farm fence and T posts from UFA. One day you have a fenced in area for the dog
Old 06-07-2023, 06:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
For around $500 you can pick up a 330’ roll of 48” farm fence and T posts from UFA. One day you have a fenced in area for the dog
This and a nice shelter to get out of the weather too.

And maybe a buddy to hang out with also.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-07-2023, 08:49 AM

Dogs that stray are NO good. They end up chasing cows or horses , in a fight with neighbors dogs or doing other bad stuff strayers do. They generally get run over or shot. Your lucky so far....so is dog. If he is a good buddy get him a good dog run as mentioned above as soon as possible.
Old 06-07-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
A proximity shock collar maybe
Old 06-07-2023, 09:25 AM

Whatever you decide to do don't string him up to anything if you're not around in case something goes terribly wrong.