Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-14-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Here's a thought, landowners tag, whitetail, can be used anywhere. Win, win.
......and you can use it on your own land which is posted so no one will bother you on said hunt. Win Win and Win.

Which is important as no one else needs to hunt it on the off years while you wait for your other tags.

This is a no win situation guys. Dont cut your nose off to spite your face.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:37 PM

So if a landowner has prime habitat , that he maintains and restricts some of the access, maybe all, wouldn’t that allow big deer to growin his area and drift out onto neighboring lands? Improving the gene pool for the entire area? Isn’t that better than letting every hunter in to slaughter hardly legal deer?
Old 01-14-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Here's a thought, landowners tag, whitetail, can be used anywhere. Win, win.
Great idea as long as it in lateral for those who don't own deeded land, everyone else can hunt crown land on their special whitetail permit.

The trophy potential on private land would be endless.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Excellent idea !

You’ll fit right in with the NDP eliminating industry with every bound 🙁
Lmao.!! Industry my arse... yea it’s a real boomer to the economy. Go blow smoke somewhere else. It’s a crock taking away from resident draw times.
Go get a real job to the ones that live solely off of 3 months of work.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WIN View Post
Actually when I said "city folks" I was thinking of resident hunters looking for access just for themselves, or maybe to take one of their kids hunting, and not outfitters trying to get permission for their clients. There are landowners out there who are willing to grant permission to members of the former group but not the latter.
I was talking about my family hunting in Alberta, I don’t outfit in this province anymore.

This comment had nothing to do with outfitting
Old 01-14-2019, 06:49 PM
Banned

So, nobody has received any correspondence from ESRD on the subject?
Old 01-14-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Great idea as long as it in lateral for those who don't own deeded land, everyone else can hunt crown land on their special whitetail permit.

The trophy potential on private land would be endless.
Sorry, not understanding if you are agreeing or being sarcastic?

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-14-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap Shot View Post
Lmao.!! Industry my arse... yea it’s a real boomer to the economy. Go blow smoke somewhere else. It’s a crock taking away from resident draw times.
Go get a real job to the ones that live solely off of 3 months of work.
The Outfitting industry brings in about $130 million a year of foreign money into the province. This means nothing to those not involved in the industry, but it’s very important to those that do.
Wanting to see somebody’s livelihood taken away so draw wait times could be reduced by a very small margin reeks of greed and selfishness. I doubt this concerns you at all, but I do hope others aren’t so self serving.

And in what delusional fantasy world do you think Outfitters only work solely during the hunting season?

The ignorance of some people is disgusting !
Old 01-14-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
The Outfitting industry brings in about $130 million a year of foreign money into the province. This means nothing to those not involved in the industry, but it’s very important to those that do.
Wanting to see somebody’s livelihood taken away so draw wait times could be reduced by a very small margin reeks of greed and selfishness. I doubt this concerns you at all, but I do hope others aren’t so self serving.

And in what delusional fantasy world do you think Outfitters only work solely during the hunting season?

The ignorance of some people is disgusting !
You love to toss out greedy and selfish, but really, who is greedy and selfish?

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-14-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
You love to toss out greedy and selfish, but really, who is greedy and selfish?
You mean because Outfitters providing for their families want to keep being able to utilize 6-10% of the wildlife harvested in this province?

I don’t know, some residents have 90-94% of the total harvest and want more.

Yep, those Outfitters sure are greedy ! lol
Old 01-14-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
I own some land and I hope landowner cow elk stays.
I really see no reason for land owner antlered Mulie tho.
It’s an unfair advantage to the waiting lists and the Mulie tag#’s.

TBark
Funny
I own land and hope the exact opposite...if I owned land in Fort Sask like you I would probably agree with you
Old 01-14-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
You mean because Outfitters providing for their families want to keep being able to utilize 6-10% of the wildlife harvested in this province?

I don’t know, some residents have 90-94% of the total harvest and want more.

Yep, those Outfitters sure are greedy ! lol
Yes, yes they are. Residents should come first, foreigners should pick up the leftovers.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-14-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, yes they are. Residents should come first, foreigners should pick up the leftovers.
And residents getting over 90% of the provincial harvest isn’t coming first ?
Old 01-14-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
And residents getting over 90% of the provincial harvest isn’t coming first ?
If residents have to draw for a tag then foreigners should be disqualified. Lots of whitetails around for them to shoot.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-14-2019, 07:32 PM
Banned

Landowner licenses work in places like Colorado and New Mexico? Why not here?
If you want your draw chances to be higher, buy some land or buy a tag from the farmer or wait a few years and hunt the public/crown land. I’m not really sure why people think they should be entitled to the same opportunity when they have zero invested in the land.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Landowner licenses work in places like Colorado and New Mexico? Why not here?
If you want your draw chances to be higher, buy some land or buy a tag from the farmer or wait a few years and hunt the public/crown land. I’m not really sure why people think they should be entitled to the same opportunity when they have zero invested in the land.
Scary mindset, really scary.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-14-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
If residents have to draw for a tag then foreigners should be disqualified. Lots of whitetails around for them to shoot.
Yep, whitetails for all

Livelihoods be damned !

Oh ya, Outfitters are the greedy ones 🤦*♂️
Old 01-14-2019, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Scary mindset, really scary.
You people don’t know how good it is here. And you whine about more.
I’d rather deal with more non residents than more entitled truck hunters from the city
Old 01-14-2019, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
I’d rather deal with more non residents than more entitled truck hunters from the city
Seriously?
Old 01-14-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing you are looking for a pay day as well?

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-14-2019, 07:41 PM
Banned

If you want something to clamp down on
I’d look at the non residents (still Canadians) that put in for draws here as residents
Old 01-14-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Yep, whitetails for all

Livelihoods be damned !

Oh ya, Outfitters are the greedy ones 🤦*♂️
Things change, lots of peoples lively hoods are wiped out every day. Funny you don't seem to whine about that. Resources are finite.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-14-2019, 07:44 PM
Banned

WIthout a doubt. I’m tired of having to call fish and wildlife every second day. Because spiker bucks are shot and left. Guys shooting towards houses because they are unfamiliar with the area and don’t have permission. List is long
Old 01-14-2019, 07:47 PM

I'm torn on this subject because i've seen the good and the bad of it. I know landowners that use it as its intended. I also know others that close off all access because their family has 5 landowner tags and all want to hunt. My personal opinion is they should be capped at a percentage per WMU. Its a first come basis and once gone its gone for the year. They did this with WMU 300 bull elk tags and it seemed to work. 10% would be a number I would look at. My issue with shooting a buck every year is that as a land owner your not doing anything to reduce numbers of damage to your crops like the tag is intended. If your shooting bucks then obviously what you let go to wildlife each year really doesn't bother you. Shoot a doe, you actually affect deer numbers on your place. I would think that even with no landowner tags landowners would still let people on that want some deer numbers knocked back. If nothing changes it wouldn't bother me at all, I think there are others areas of wildlife management that could be adjusted better like unlimited harvests of some.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Things change, lots of peoples lively hoods are wiped out every day. Funny you don't seem to whine about that. Resources are finite.
It’s pretty sad that you think someone livelihood should be compromised because you think you should have more opportunities for your hobby..
Makes sense???
Old 01-14-2019, 07:56 PM

Default Tags

Quote:
Not a chance. Any landowner applying for a mule deer tag, not receiving it, then getting a landowners tag is not letting you hunt on their land anyway.
Maybe there’s a few that will, but I’ve never ran into any. The ones I know exercising this option have their land locked up tight, and so they should if they choose to, it’s their land !

95% of the farmers that let us hunt on their land don’t hunt, and the ones that do aren’t hunting for racks or waiting in any draws.
I do. Nine different guys/gals this year, including the kids on the ACA Mentorship program. Also some fellas who didn't bother to ask. I've taken the landowner tag almost every year. Filled two of them, including this year.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
It’s pretty sad that you think someone livelihood should be compromised because you think you should have more opportunities for your hobby..
Makes sense???
It's a hobby for outfitters as well, I doubt you could count on one hand the amount of people making their sole income off of outfitting. And I haven't drawn a big game tag in over 30 years.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-14-2019, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's a hobby for outfitters as well, I doubt you could count on one hand the amount of people making their sole income off of outfitting. And I haven't drawn a big game tag in over 30 years.
Not sure what your problem is? There isn’t a wmu in this province besides a couple of the sheep zones where it takes 30 years. And those zone are pointless to enter unless your at the very top
Old 01-14-2019, 08:17 PM

Default Sticky subject

Here's my story; When we sold the cows 8 years ago, my family and I decided to make certain sacrifices so that we would always have a place to hunt. Most of our pasture is untouched, especially what I believe is the critical area, and will remain that way.We choose to share our habitat with many other hunters, usually 6 to 10 per year. On our farm, mulies outnumber whites by 10 to 1. By seasons' end it may be closer to 20 to 1. My wife , son and I all apply for antlered mule, because that's what is there to hunt, and we only hunt on our land. If I'm not drawn, I apply for the landowners but I've only ever used/filled it twice. Yes, I'm particular, and have a blast chasing the nice ones. I do not "assign" the tag. Seems a small price to ask, no? If I'm restricted to hunting the scarce whitetails, I'll have to protect that resource. Less access for others. I don't want to do that.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:26 PM
Banned

There is nothing wrong with landowners tags or the system. Like anything there is abuse. Deal with abusers would be a good start.