Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2019, 12:02 PM

Default Red Dead Redemption 2

Not much of a gamer, but the kids have a PS4 so I used an Amazon gift card I got at Christmas and picked up RDR2 for something to do in the evenings in the dead of winter. I don't really watch a lot of Netflix or TV (mostly just hockey).

The game takes places in 1899 in the West and South West United States at a time when the old west is turning over to cities and industrialization. Your character is camping and riding with a gang of outlaws on the run. I have to say, it's a been a really interesting and immersive game so far. It's not a fast moving game - although it has it's moments - but the fact that you can hunt and fish for multiple species as you journey along, choose to play as a good guy or bad guy (eg. help a woman who's being kidnapped, or rob a store owner), and that horse, train row boat and canoe are the only options to travel, makes it a definite twist on typical video game genres.

Many game sites are calling this the best and most expensive game ever made. I don't game enough to weigh in, but the scenery/graphics are bloody amazing, especially if you have a 4K big screen TV.

I know I'm probably setting myself up for ridicule posting about a video game on this message board, but if there was ever a game that would resonate with the AO crowd, it's this one...

Here's a link if you're interested in seeing the level of graphics and game play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw_oH5oiUSE
Old 01-13-2019, 12:08 PM

Beware !!!!! Very easy to get sucked into the big black hole of the video world !

No such thing as .... " I'll just play for a few minutes " ...

But they're fun , and yes... graphics just keep getting better .

Enjoy
Old 01-13-2019, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Not much of a gamer, but the kids have a PS4 so I used an Amazon gift card I got at Christmas and picked up RDR2 for something to do in the evenings in the dead of winter. I don't really watch a lot of Netflix or TV (mostly just hockey).

The game takes places in 1899 in the West and South West United States at a time when the old west is turning over to cities and industrialization. Your character is camping and riding with a gang of outlaws on the run. I have to say, it's a been a really interesting and immersive game so far. It's not a fast moving game - although it has it's moments - but the fact that you can hunt and fish for multiple species as you journey along, choose to play as a good guy or bad guy (eg. help a woman who's being kidnapped, or rob a store owner), and that horse, train row boat and canoe are the only options to travel, makes it a definite twist on typical video game genres.

Many game sites are calling this the best and most expensive game ever made. I don't game enough to weigh in, but the scenery/graphics are bloody amazing, especially if you have a 4K big screen TV.

I know I'm probably setting myself up for ridicule posting about a video game on this message board, but if there was ever a game that would resonate with the AO crowd, it's this one...

Here's a link if you're interested in seeing the level of graphics and game play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw_oH5oiUSE
You are a embarrassment to our sport and men everywhere. Fort night is where it is at!!!
LOLOLOLOLOOL
I enjoy playing football with my son. Some epic games between the 2 of us. I cant play hockey with him as I suck. Last time we played he was Team Britain and I was the NHL all star team.... It was a close game but I still lost....
Old 01-13-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
You are a embarrassment to our sport and men everywhere. Fort night is where it is at!!!
LOLOLOLOLOOL
I enjoy playing football with my son. Some epic games between the 2 of us. I cant play hockey with him as I suck. Last time we played he was Team Britain and I was the NHL all star team.... It was a close game but I still lost....
Yep, I guess I have to hand in my AO membership card.

My nephew keeps trying to get me to play fortnite - looks a little cartoonish for my taste and not nearly as "sophisticated" as RDR2
Old 01-13-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBI View Post
Beware !!!!! Very easy to get sucked into the big black hole of the video world !

No such thing as .... " I'll just play for a few minutes " ...

But they're fun , and yes... graphics just keep getting better .

Enjoy
Yeah, I think I'm sucked in. My wife looked at me funny the other night and said "why are you talking with a southern accent?"
Old 01-13-2019, 12:41 PM

Don't own the game or a console, but I've watched quite a few Youtube videos and I'm impressed - I'm entertained just watching the videos nevermind actually playing!
Old 01-13-2019, 02:22 PM

kids got a ps4 for xmas and red dead. Really cool graphics!! however dad got a gake from santa too!!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2019, 03:08 PM

Sweet, I've got a chance in the pool now.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:14 PM

I play that game a few times a week..lol oh and I'm 40 btw!
Old 01-16-2019, 03:30 AM

Ive been picking away at it. Its so good. It definitely pulls hard on the PS4 because the cooling fan never seems to turn off.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:39 AM

It's not just about the graphics. The world in this game is so detailed and immersive that It makes me sink even 4 hours a day. It's one of the best games I've ever played.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:44 AM

Do you mean to tell me they made another game after pong?

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 01-16-2019, 06:56 AM

Rockstar really knows what they are doing, hit after hit. Im sure RDR2 will be a classic just like most stuff the put out.

Years back I played “LA Noire” set in the late 40s and codnt believe the detailed city you were in, so immersive.

Before that, anyone old enough to have watched Miami Vice on the tube knew exactly what what Rockstar was thinking when they made “Grand Theft Auto - Vice City”. They really know how to create a believable world.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:15 AM

I got it.

I will find myself accomplishing nothing over the story line because I have just spent the last hour customizing guns, hunting, fishing, playing poker haha. My wife gives me a hard time saying I am playing a video game doing the things I do when I am not playing a video game haha.

Great game though
Old 01-16-2019, 09:55 AM

Right on. Ya I heard it was good. But ya beware of the video games.

4 years or so now I've been sucked into playing world of tanks excessively. Trying to knock it off / reload in between matches
Old 01-16-2019, 11:00 AM

Just talking about it last night at work, 40 year old co worker says his wife is getting mad cause hes staying ing up all hours of the night playing this game lol. He says its unreal....I'm not a gamer. Might have to buy it for the kids.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:50 AM

A question that have or wonder about is going deeper in these games using VR Goggles/Headset .

One can get so immersed into some of these games ( almost to a tunnel vision type state ) that they become unaware of things... people , voices etc around them as things basically are now .

The wife used to joke about the son playing, ( especially when he was playing online , and had earphone/mike headset on ) that the house could burn down around him and it would only be when the electricity went out , that he would clue in .

So I wonder what it's like playing your game in a VR set .

I'm sure the game experience is amped up to the next , or couple levels ,

but about what's happening around you , if some people are already getting so zoned into their game , when the screen is several feet from them ( or a couple ft if you're on your PC ) , imagine how oblivious to the world they become when that screen is wrapped around their head .

I won't even get into adding to it .

But damn , they sure are fun...who needs fresh air and sunshine anyways
Old 01-16-2019, 10:19 PM

Don't think they have it on VR but they have some games for a price $$$. My son has his VR set up in his own house (big big room) and you do not sit down. It is awesome. If you get motion sickness or are subject to anything similar, limit your time. But that game RDR2 would be something else. VR gaming is amazing. Probably a good thing he got his own house cause I would still be stuck in the room and missing work, friends, my lady and outside life LOL
Old 01-17-2019, 07:21 AM

Sounds as good as Oregon Trail.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:20 AM

I dont have the time to play as much as i used to. Stopped watching sports/tv to play PS4.