Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 09:00 AM

Default What next

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/alberta-...-oil-1.4196628
Old 11-29-2018, 09:17 AM

So over a year to buy and build rail cars to haul oil? Obviously, they will need to ship a lot of oil to pay for the cars,likely years worth, so when does she think the pipeline will be built if ever? It sounds like nothing more than a way to deflect attention away from the pipeline situation, until after the upcoming election. Meanwhile, more taxpayers dollars spent to build rail cars.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:24 AM

Building rail cars seems like a choice of someone who is pretty sure that a pipeline won’t be happening under their administration.......

Like elk said, the rails cars would take a while to amortize their own cost. If a pipeline or three were completed, then we’d be holding the bag for a bunch of devalued rail cars (they’d have less value as there’d be both an oversupply of them combined with less need for them if pipelines got completed)
Old 11-29-2018, 09:34 AM

Good thing rail cars are so much safer and environmentally friendly than pipelines ...

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 11-29-2018, 09:41 AM

IDK..

At least she is trying to do something.

Rail cars, ok, sure it'll take a year.

Even if the pipeline was approved today, there's no way it would be moving oil in a year, more like 3-4, realistically 5-10.

It's something.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:43 AM

I know it is a almost impossible to do but she should just pull the not withstanding clause out and say were in deep financial trouble, Ab is suspending transfer payments for the foreseeable future or until a pipeline is flowing to tide water. Enough of the grand standing from her to Horgan to Turdo with nothing changing. See how fast Turdo responds to that when Quebec don't get their candy.

Maybe Kenny will come up with something to force the Feds hands. I heard yesterday on Ched that FN bands in Washington are lining up to speak at out NEB hearings against the pipeline. How do they get a say?

This country is so screwed up. A golden egg sitting in the ground and were letting it sit there for eternity because we allow other interests to hijack our prosperity. No other country would ever allow that, but here we are.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:49 AM

If this pipeline blockade and related shenanigans happened during WWII the traitors undertaking it would be swinging from a gallows. It’s nothing short of treason.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:49 AM

I agree. Pulling transfer payments (let them go to court over that!) and looking into going around BC (Yukon!) would have much more pull than buying rail cars.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 11-29-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
IDK..

Rail cars, ok, sure it'll take a year.

Even if the pipeline was approved today, there's no way it would be moving oil in a year, more like 3-4, realistically 5-10.

It's something.
She is trying to do something alright, but it's not about getting our oil to market, this is all about one of the topics that we are not allowed to discuss here. For that reason, I will leave it at that.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:39 AM

What would Trump do to fix the resource issues if he was the Premier of Alberta?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-29-2018, 11:07 AM

Has the option of running a pipeline to Churchill Manitoba been considered? If we can't go West or East to Quebec's port, why not this one, or Tuktoyuktuk?
Old 11-29-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
What would Trump do to fix the resource issues if he was the Premier of Alberta?
Ever notice how fast the protesters at the Dakota Access Pipeline disappeared? Pretty much that. Curious how they didn't bother to clean up the mess they left considering they claimed to be environmentalists. My guess is whomever was funding them had achieved their end game and stopped payments. Curious though how US funding still comes up to our enviro org's, not at all remotely suspicious.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:16 AM

Could have avoided the non existent pipeline purchase....saved a few billion and upgraded rails to be safer and built more cars...
Hard to admit it but oil leaving by rail is better than nothing
Still makes me shake my head, I guess people feel better if they can see what’s happening versus the safer way. ?
Old 11-29-2018, 11:38 AM

Thumbs down

desperation to buy votes... along with the liberal vote buying coming from trudeau. The best option to get oil to market is still a pipeline .
Old 11-29-2018, 01:50 PM

Pipeline to Churchill Manitoba then ship to refineries in New Brunswick thereby circumventing onterrible and quebexico. Bit of a no brainer IMO.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Pipeline to Churchill Manitoba then ship to refineries in New Brunswick thereby circumventing onterrible and quebexico. Bit of a no brainer IMO.
Forgive my lack of knowledge of the hudson bay/northern passage, but doesn't it freeze over for at least 6 months of the year? As in, ice breakers wouldn't work either?
Old 11-29-2018, 02:34 PM

Just did a quick search, there is essentially NO pipelines going to the hudson bay area (manitoba side) Which means it would be a completely new pipeline. More importantly purchasing the land, and the topo of the land would make it cost prohibitive.

Which is why the other pipelines are magnitudes easier and cheaper. They are on existing right of ways. Then there's the cost of creating the port. Which is already existing for these other ones.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
I agree. Pulling transfer payments (let them go to court over that!) and looking into going around BC (Yukon!) would have much more pull than buying rail cars.
We don't actually "transfer" money to the Federal gov't. What happens is the equalization payments come out of the federal taxes collected and is kept by the Federal government instead of coming back to Alberta.

Not that I disagree with your idea, but it just doesn't work that way.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickakooKookoo View Post
We don't actually "transfer" money to the Federal gov't. What happens is the equalization payments come out of the federal taxes collected and is kept by the Federal government instead of coming back to Alberta.

Not that I disagree with your idea, but it just doesn't work that way.
Only way to stop it is for Albertan's to stop paying federal tax and that isn't going to happen.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:28 PM
Banned

So even building railcars isn’t going to help our economy as they will likely be built in Saskatchewan.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
IDK..

She's trying to make it look like she's trying to do something in an attempt to alienate as few voters as possible, after all there's an election coming sometime in the new year. Most people see through her phony concern....
Old 11-29-2018, 07:25 PM

I would be happy to leave Confederation and join the US because of this BS. But this is politics and ain't a part of AO.
Closed Thread