Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2019, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Seems like alot like to poopoo the idea of an electric vehicle. The thing is though, it would likely work for about 98% of our typical driving. I haven't found an exact number, but it would seem the average Canadian drives about 18k to 30k km annually. Taking the more conservative value of 30k km, that's an average of 82.2 km/day. If this has a range of 300 miles, an individual could drive almost 6x their daily average till they run out of charge.
but once every 2 years they'll go on a road trip... you don't want to be unprepared for that...
Old 01-18-2019, 10:25 AM

It'll be interesting to see. There is also another company called ATLIS that has an HD concept truck. They claim up to an 500mi range, 5,000lb payload, 17500lb hitch towing, and 35,000 goose-neck towing. They also claim 15 minutes to charge. Although they don't say so directly, I would bet Ford, ATLIS Motors et al. are banking on solid state batteries to be commercially viable for automobiles in the next few years. If so, that would be an absolutely game changer, and those numbers would almost certainly be achievable. Now I'm all for oil and gas, but I'm not one to kick dirt on emerging technology either. If I can buy an all electric that can do all of these things, for roughly the same price as a gas or diesel unit, and have 1/4 of the maintenance costs, and 5x the longevity, count me in.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:00 AM

Old 01-18-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Seems like alot like to poopoo the idea of an electric vehicle. The thing is though, it would likely work for about 98% of our typical driving. I haven't found an exact number, but it would seem the average Canadian drives about 18k to 30k km annually. Taking the more conservative value of 30k km, that's an average of 82.2 km/day. If this has a range of 300 miles, an individual could drive almost 6x their daily average till they run out of charge.

Hey if there was any logic or reason to peoples choice of vehicles we wouldn’t have the mall parking lots full of three-quarter ton jacked up trucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2019, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Hey if there was any logic or reason to peoples choice of vehicles we wouldn’t have the mall parking lots full of three-quarter ton jacked up trucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, it makes you wonder how riggers got to their job site in the 50's, 60's, 70's etc. etc. Maybe they had better roads? Less keg?
Old 01-18-2019, 04:10 PM

When I say hybrid I mean battery and gas engine. I dont think a pure electric truck will work. Anyone that thinks hybrids wont run ac or make heat drive a Prius and get back to me.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-18-2019, 06:14 PM

Would these trucks have individual wheel motors? Anyone have any idea what the drive train would look like?

A small diesel electric genset could give you endless options with minimal maintenance.

Be interesting to see where these are in 10 years.

BW
Old 01-18-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
When I say hybrid I mean battery and gas engine. I dont think a pure electric truck will work. Anyone that thinks hybrids wont run ac or make heat drive a Prius and get back to me.
They are apparently already here....
https://workhorse.com/pickup/
Old 01-18-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
They are apparently already here....
https://workhorse.com/pickup/
Cool company, drones, choppers and trucks.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-18-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Would these trucks have individual wheel motors? Anyone have any idea what the drive train would look like?
Depends on who's building it. So far most EV manufacturers are different. That's why it's very interesting to follow. It's an unexplored and unproven market.

Ideally yes every wheel would have a motor, bit that cost money.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Cool company, drones, choppers and trucks.
The trucks look like it really hits the sweet spot. 450 HP, 4wheel drive, 80 miles of electric would be more than enough for 95% of truck owners. Then a 3 cylinder BMW generator kicks in for as long as you put gas in it.

https://www.trucks.com/2018/03/12/wo...lectric-truck/
Old 01-18-2019, 07:29 PM

Not so good for me for company trucks if i plug in at home.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post

A small diesel electric genset could give you endless options with minimal maintenance.

Be interesting to see where these are in 10 years.

BW
I'm not certain about the Ford, but the concept ATLIS HD employs a "skateboard" design with an individual motor at each wheel, with the batteries forming the "deck". The body is then bolted to the deck. Pretty smart design, and as a result of not having a traditional engine, it also has a front bed with tailgate. I'm assuming the Ford will utilize the same basic design.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:55 AM

Still say great for Princess shopping and city delivery. Diesel is still the ultimate workhorse for the oil patch.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:34 AM

For commuting and daily grocery getter it cant be beat. Especially when dealerships and more places all the time offer free power

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-19-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
For commuting and daily grocery getter it cant be beat. Especially when dealerships and more places all the time offer free power
In the next 25-40 years gasoline and diesel will only be used to power small generators.

Wonder when there will be an electric NASCAR series? It’s only a matter of time.

BW
Old 01-19-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Geeez Andy, doesn’t take you long to start posting on electric vehicles again. Normstad, Avb3, Bighorn river and many more...

How’s Florida?
Been thinking the same thing. Crazy how many friends he must enlist for their IP address lol. I think he must have the record for most banned & returned under a new name person.

As for electric cars, i must be getting old, I don't want to see the switch they talk is coming as it will also force a huge lifestyle change on many. Plus the costs, plus the what to do with the batteries issue. Once the shift happens, any free power ports will be long gone as there will be money to be made.

The greenies seem to never mention battery life/recycle issue and huge replacement costs while pushing the electric agenda. Sure it's nice to keep showing the California experiment where its warm all year. When I see our trucking industry move freight over the mountains when it is -30 in electric trucks or the resource side switch to all electric excavators and equipment, then I will believe the hype.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Been thinking the same thing. Crazy how many friends he must enlist for their IP address lol. I think he must have the record for most banned & returned under a new name person.
It’s definitely him, 100%. Andy has a certain writing style, wording and topics he just can’t avoid posting on. It’s actually pretty easy to figure out once you go back and look...
Old 01-19-2019, 01:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Still say great for Princess shopping and city delivery. Diesel is still the ultimate workhorse for the oil patch.
The diesel that powers the generators that power the electric motors that the rig uses? Rather than freisel, it's pretty easy to see freelectric being used by riggers. It ain't that far into the bush in virtually all cases.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243plus View Post
The diesel that powers the generators that power the electric motors that the rig uses? Rather than freisel, it's pretty easy to see freelectric being used by riggers. It ain't that far into the bush in virtually all cases.
Doubtful. The white hat white sunglass half sleeve tattoo wearing idiot kids have to spend all their money on jacking up and tunes and exhaust and out douching everyone else, freelectric won't fit that bill for them.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
As for electric cars, i must be getting old, I don't want to see the switch they talk is coming as it will also force a huge lifestyle change on many.
I seriously doubt it. If it's a huge negative lifestyle change they won't catch on and nobody will buy them. Can you think of any produce that people have switched over to that caused a huge negative lifestyle change? If it's a positive lifestyle change, cool.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:15 AM

EVs are way less efficient than a modern ICE powered vehicle.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Can you give some evidence of that or is it just an opinion ?
Old 01-20-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Depends on how you want to calculate efficiencies. Gasoline fired power plants at 37% efficiency, line transmission loss at 90%, charge/discharge at 80% efficient and motor efficiency at 85% gives a net efficiency of 22.64%.

The EV can only get worse from there - the efficiency of the charge/discharge cycle is very dependent on charge rate and the motor efficiency is very dependent on use within a narrow power range. Those numbers could easily be at 45% and 55% in real life use, resulting in a net efficiency of 8.24%

Of course proponents of the EV will always want to start with electricity from a renewable source, discounting all energies used to get access to the electricity and therefore start at 100% rather than 37%.

Truth in numbers is pretty hard to come by in this game.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Do you power your house with a generator because its more efficient?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
It’s definitely him, 100%. Andy has a certain writing style, wording and topics he just can’t avoid posting on. It’s actually pretty easy to figure out once you go back and look...
I was just waiting for him to start a thread on lease land to confirm. Was pretty sure already though
Old 01-20-2019, 11:41 AM
Banned

The guys pooping that they wouldn’t work in the oil patch.

Like that just started the last few decades.

Could you take most trucks built in the 60’s and 70’s into the patch?

Sure you could.

That was before Diesel engines were put in them.

Which was when?

I’m sure those early diesels struggled.

Then they got better, and now all kinds of trucks are used.
Diesel and gas.

In 10 years you’ll see guys driving them and in 20 you won’t even remember the diesels.

Plus I’m pretty sure Ford knows how to build a truck to do what it is that needs to be done, and where it’s needed.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Physics 101.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Doubtful. The white hat white sunglass half sleeve tattoo wearing idiot kids have to spend all their money on jacking up and tunes and exhaust and out douching everyone else, freelectric won't fit that bill for them.
They'll have to put cigarette packages in the spokes for noise.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-20-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I seriously doubt it. If it's a huge negative lifestyle change they won't catch on and nobody will buy them. Can you think of any produce that people have switched over to that caused a huge negative lifestyle change? If it's a positive lifestyle change, cool.
People will go where the savings are, If they can save with EV, they will flock to it.

Thomas Sowell