Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 08:20 PM

Default Bathroom fan

With the kids getting older they went from taking a bath to taking a shower. Loooong showers. I also like looong hot showers. I took the flow restriction gadgets out of the shower head.....because life is too short to have a low flow, luke warm shower. The result is a lot of moisture in the bathroom. I make sure the air exchange is running full bore, and the furnace fan is on. So a lot of air moving in the bathroom (bathroom has air exchange “vent” on the wall), but I still notice water streaks on the walls sometimes
I was contemplating an exhaust fan, but I would have to replace the air that the fan exhaust for it to be efficient. My house is air tight..... so air tight that when I run my range hood extraction fan, and open the man door from the house to the garage, I can hear the wind whistle through the garage doors. ( I solved that problem with a separate air makeup fan of equal CFM connected to the switch of the range hood fan)

What is a good solution to my problem. Because even if my house leaked a lot of air the bathroom door is closed restricting air to the exhaust fan making it inefficient.

What do the AO experts think?

Last edited by Immigrant; 01-17-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:43 PM
Banned

take shorter/or cooler showers...…….you aren't a brain surgeon, right?
Old 01-17-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
take shorter/or cooler showers...…….you aren't a brain surgeon, right?
If they can figure out a way to land a remote controlled buggy on Mars, there should be a modern solution to my first world shower condensate problem....
Old 01-17-2019, 08:53 PM

Buy an evac fan that kicks on at a preset moisture level. Carwashes have them must be available.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-17-2019, 08:54 PM

You will get suggestions from all sorts here and there are a lot of members here that can help.The one from me, no expert at all by no means, but will be like Captain Obvious, crack the bathroom door open a bit. Maybe a little more humidity in the house, plants might like it. As long as it's not too excessive it should not peel the paint off the walls. Then if too much, dehumidify. Would have to actually see the structure and layout of your humble abode to be more specific on how to ventilate. I'll probably get ripped a new one for this Just a suggestion and no price $$$. Hope you can fix your quandary.

Last edited by barbless; 01-17-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:08 PM

Maybe put a vent through the outside wall ,something you can open and close manually.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:25 PM

At home I have the push button fan timers in every bathroom, so a person can have the fan going after they're finished showering and can still be drying the room when they're left the house. Another option is a humidistat fan timer.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:49 PM

I appreciate the replies. But my concern is this. If I blow 90CFM air out of the house I need to replace the air @ 90 CFM. Otherwise the fan will not “move” air and starve. I read a lot of reviews about fans not working right and the steam is not exhausting. I suspect it is because of lack of air make up? But I could be wrong. And will the hot moist air not condensate on the cold duct in the attic, causing water to drip back in the bathroom or accumulate in the duct?
(I have been looking at the motion sensing fans, where you can set a timer to go 10,20,30min after detecting motion)

Last edited by Immigrant; 01-17-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
I appreciate the replies. But my concern is this. If I blow 90CFM air out of the house I need to replace the air @ 90 CFM. Otherwise the fan will not “move” air and starve. I read a lot of reviews about fans not working right and the steam is not exhausting. I suspect it is because of lack of air make up? But I could be wrong. And will the hot moist air not condensate on the cold duct in the attic, causing water to drip back in the bathroom or accumulate in the duct?
(I have been looking at the motion sensing fans, where you can set a timer to go 10,20,30min after detecting motion)
Proper install of the exhaust vent in the bathroom and you will have no issues of condensation (hard vents pipe and insulation). You ideally want your house to have positive air pressure, but if your concern is replacing the air then just crack a window during showers.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:36 PM

In new houses the bathroom fans are supposed to be interlocked with the furnace or hrv.
That gives you air in at the same time as your air out.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:38 PM

Cut 1/4" off the bottom of the door.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:39 PM

Your house will have an insulated fresh air duct that is piped into your return air, so what you are asking for already exists. This fresh air duct may enter through a heat recovery ventilator or it might be piped directly. Look for a damper on this duct as it might be throttled shut and you might find better air exchange by opening it (they are not a perfect fit so will never shut entirely, picture a 5.25" disc 'closing' in a 6" duct)
Old 01-17-2019, 10:42 PM

If it makes you feel any better the house I rent doesn’t have a fan in either bathroom and I have water streaks all over the walls. If it was mine yes I’d fix it but since I pay a dirt cheap rent I will open a window and live with it.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:04 PM

Told ya. You will get the answers. Now you decide
Old 01-17-2019, 11:31 PM

Default Bathroom fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Your house will have an insulated fresh air duct that is piped into your return air, so what you are asking for already exists. This fresh air duct may enter through a heat recovery ventilator or it might be piped directly. Look for a damper on this duct as it might be throttled shut and you might find better air exchange by opening it (they are not a perfect fit so will never shut entirely, picture a 5.25" disc 'closing' in a 6" duct)

Correct. There is a fresh air duct going through the HRV to the return air, and I just checked - the damper is open all the way. I am now thinking I may be starving the HRV intake in the bathroom. I noticed there is very little space under the door because of a transition strip right under it. I also looked in to the HRV duct and it seems a little dirty with years of dust etc sucked in there. Also did a full reno last year and I am sure there is some drywall dust in there as well possibly restricting the air flow. I will drop the central vac hose down and see if I can clean it out a bit

Thanks again for all the input

For interest sake, why would they have the HRV return air/ air intake in a “box” like in the picture. Why not use a 5 inch round duct?

Last edited by Immigrant; 01-17-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:42 AM

After the shower is going for 5 minutes calmly wander downstairs and look at tpyiuyour hot water tank. Yup the hot water tank is the culprit! Making all that nice warm hot water, it’s a wonder anyone would ever get out of the shower. After you’ve admired the tank for awhile reach over and shut off the hot water valve.
The shower will end about 8 seconds afterward
Old 01-18-2019, 07:21 AM

A louvered vent in the door would help with air intake to the bathroom as well.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:24 AM

Oops, I thought this was the Flames thread.......
Old 01-18-2019, 07:32 AM

Also, have you been cleaning/changing your HRV filters?
Old 01-18-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Also, have you been cleaning/changing your HRV filters?
Yes. Every month I give them a good wash. This morning I held a paper towel in front of the HRV duct in the bathroom. It sucked it in and held it up no problem. I closed the door and after a couple of minutes I could see the paper towel wanted to fall off because of low suction. I am leaning towards a pass through vent/grill in the door, or maybe through the wall in to the walk in closet
Old 01-18-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Oops, I thought this was the Flames thread.......
You owe me a keyboard! Coffee everywhere! To funny!

BW
Old 01-18-2019, 12:48 PM

Shut the hot water off after 3 minutes for the kids.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehunter View Post
Shut the hot water off after 3 minutes for the kids.
When he’s in for or too long, yell through the door at your teenage son: “You can only get that thing so clean you know!”

Then as fast as you can, run and shut off the hot water

Last edited by CaberTosser; 01-18-2019 at 02:18 PM.