Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 09:20 AM

^^ I agree. IF is good. I typically fast about 16-18 hrs from night time to lunch/early afternoon the next day. I can even go do a morning workout and feel fine (although after the workout I'm ready for some food).
Old 01-16-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger72 View Post
Have you thought about IF ( intermittent fasting ) ? I have been doing this since the start of Sept. and have lost 35 lbs I feel great and have less of that "clusterf%ck fog" feeling. The nice thing about it is I barely eat any kind of breads, yes I will eat some, but fasting for 18-23 hrs a day and eating only 1-2 times a day it makes it easier not to fill your face with useless carbs. You really notice the next day if you have a "low quality" meal like pancakes or pasta because you are starving and have a hard time making it to lunch. Water and black coffee/ green tea is your friend. I try and stick to a Keto type lunch when I eat lunch, and then a sensible supper, the calorie deficit is the key to losing wt and the lower carbs higher protein is the key to not feeling so hungry.....
This is how we’ve been doing it at our house too. Don’t eat anything after about 7pm and don’t eat again till about 11am the next day. Pretty easy to do. Cut out late night snacking and just some coffee in the AM till lunch time. Basically have a 8hr window to eat. We keep it sensible during those 8hrs. Last year we lost over a 100lbs combined between the 2 of us. Gained a bit back but back on track and have lost another combined 20lbs the last 2 weeks.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
This is how we’ve been doing it at our house too. Don’t eat anything after about 7pm and don’t eat again till about 11am the next day. Pretty easy to do. Cut out late night snacking and just some coffee in the AM till lunch time. Basically have a 8hr window to eat. We keep it sensible during those 8hrs. Last year we lost over a 100lbs combined between the 2 of us. Gained a bit back but back on track and have lost another combined 20lbs the last 2 weeks.
Do you eat any pastas, potatoes, or breads?
Old 01-16-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I don't.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
^^ totally love jujubes. Haha

Oh my!! Super soft from the Bulk Barn!!
Old 01-16-2019, 02:50 PM

^^ that’s just when I feel like I need a headache, haha. Same goes for pizza.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
We use an app called Lose It to track our meals and calories allowed. I try to keep my calories around 1800-2000/day. That will allow me to lose about 2lbs a week. I don’t get caught up in the no carb thing but I do try to limit my carb intake as I find it’s usually high calorie and takes up too much of my calorie allowance. The wife likes carbs so she eats more carbs and less meat. I’m the exact opposite. She typically loses more weight/week. For example, last night I had a cup or so of homemade chilli for lunch and ham/perogies/salad for supper. Tonight we’re using the leftover ham and making pizza’s using pitas for the base. Tomorrow is roasted chicken, salad and baby potatoes. Everything in moderation.

The hardest thing is trying to not to have a beer or two (or 6) when I’m hanging with the boys. I’d rather eat my calories then drink them. Switched to vodka/soda water but I do love the taste of a good craft brew.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
We use an app called Lose It to track our meals and calories allowed. I try to keep my calories around 1800-2000/day. That will allow me to lose about 2lbs a week. I don’t get caught up in the no carb thing but I do try to limit my carb intake as I find it’s usually high calorie and takes up too much of my calorie allowance. The wife likes carbs so she eats more carbs and less meat. I’m the exact opposite. She typically loses more weight/week. For example, last night I had a cup or so of homemade chilli for lunch and ham/perogies/salad for supper. Tonight we’re using the leftover ham and making pizza’s using pitas for the base. Tomorrow is roasted chicken, salad and baby potatoes. Everything in moderation.

The hardest thing is trying to not to have a beer or two (or 6) when I’m hanging with the boys. I’d rather eat my calories then drink them. Switched to vodka/soda water but I do love the taste of a good craft brew.
It's all about choices and you are doing the right thing
Old 01-17-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
I've been trying to reduce my carb intake since the start of August. I did the full Keto thing for the first two months, but I had no intentions of making that a lifestyle. According to my weight guessing device I have lost 25-30 lbs and I didn't gain it all back over the holidays.

The thing that has been the hardest for me to give up is bread. I like my bread. I like toast and jam, I like soft eggs on toast. I like bagels. I like sandwiches and wraps. I like pizza. I like garlic bread with my steak. You get the picture, I like bread.

I don't mind having a lettuce wrap for a sandwich or a burger. I don't mind a "pizza" casserole. But I still miss bread. All of the low carb breads I have tried are either not bread (wrong taste/texture) or are downright disgusting.

Anybody got a descent low carb bread?

ARG

If you like bread and want to lower your carbs, just eat way less of them.
I know this seems too obvious, instead of bread three times a day, have it once with breakfast or with a steak at dinner time.
There is a lot to say for moderation...........
Old 01-17-2019, 09:18 PM

Wife has been on strict Keto for months now, it's worked wonders for her. She's lost almost 20lb, which is about all she could afford to lose anyway, and has eliminated the bloating and general unwell feeling that has plagued her for the last 10 years or so. I am less strict but definitely cut way back on carbs and sugar, lost 10lbs pretty much by accident, down to 155lbs which hasn't happened in 20 years. Also notice less hunger pangs and cravings than before, and if I do go without food for extended periods I don't get nearly as cranky as before and no more hunger headaches either.

I think its maybe a little different for everyone, as my wife feels unwell for a day or two if she eats carbs or sugar, whereas I can go hard at it one meal and besides feeling pretty sleepy I'm pretty much fine. I still eat a bit of bread, but only Silver Hills sprouted grain stuff as it at least has a fair amount of protein. I'm also in a far more physically active job so that likely makes a difference. Bread is hard to avoid for me simply because it makes it so much simpler to plan my lunches. Now I only eat it at breakfast as a piece of toast or two sometimes. My wife has no plans of changing from her Keto diet,she just sees way too many benefits from it, and I'll stick to what I'm doing too. That said, Friday is buffet day for me and the boys at work, and I will put a hurt on that dessert table for certain!