Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 08:58 PM

Default Loonie forecast - up or down?

I need to purchase expensive equipment in the USA this year. What will the loonie do in your humble opinion?
Old 01-16-2019, 09:09 PM

It will go down ...has a lot to do with oil and our crappy economy and lousy pm
Old 01-16-2019, 09:24 PM

I see it climbing. It hasn't moved more than a couple cents down in 36 months. I'm hoping to sell some U.S. Funds and I'm not lucky enough for it to drop.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-16-2019, 09:29 PM

I'm going to say little movement up or down, unless the BOC raises rates next go round. Which they won't. Should stay flat next 3-6 months I'm thinking, then will see what happens at election time...may or may not have an artificial impact short term in the fall.

So there you have three contradictory posts just like that!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 01-16-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:59 PM

Value is based upon of course the simple principal of supply/demand.

The Bank of Canada has a limited ability to influence the supply side of things, but ultimately demand is the overwhelming factor.

Ergo, ask yourself this. How many foreign investors will be looking to Canada over the next 12 months as a safe bet on positive returns? Especially in an election year. ESPECIALLY with the prospect of the current gong show getting another mandate.

I have a high degree of doubt on all the rosy figues being pumped out these days about job growth and unemployment. It feels like a bunch of 'spin' to be honest. However, any positive growth in our country MUST be almost 100% attributed to the red hot US economy the Trump prompted, and next to nothing our current administration has cultivated.

We're living in a house of cards right now. Pretty hard not to see a major and long term recession on the horizon.

So OP, I'd be prepared to buy sooner rather than later. With that said, this opinion is worth the exact value of the paper it's written on. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Who really knows with the clown at the helm......decisions.....decisions....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-17-2019, 06:43 AM

my guess is that you wont see much of a move either way until the fall federal election is over, maybe a cent or so either way but nothing major, the average over the past 3 years has been .767 and it's currently at .749 which reflects our crappy economy and low oil price and the fact that most of the investors in the world think Canada is a bad place to invest cant understand why ???

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:03 AM

I don't it improving from here. I loaded up on US cash lately
Old 01-17-2019, 07:23 AM

My best guess is look at what the pundits are saying and bet the opposite. Most of them seem to be predicting a falling Canadian$ here. Who the heck knows?
Old 01-17-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Value is based upon of course the simple principal of supply/demand.

The Bank of Canada has a limited ability to influence the supply side of things, but ultimately demand is the overwhelming factor.

Ergo, ask yourself this. How many foreign investors will be looking to Canada over the next 12 months as a safe bet on positive returns? Especially in an election year. ESPECIALLY with the prospect of the current gong show getting another mandate.

I have a high degree of doubt on all the rosy figues being pumped out these days about job growth and unemployment. It feels like a bunch of 'spin' to be honest. However, any positive growth in our country MUST be almost 100% attributed to the red hot US economy the Trump prompted, and next to nothing our current administration has cultivated.

We're living in a house of cards right now. Pretty hard not to see a major and long term recession on the horizon.

So OP, I'd be prepared to buy sooner rather than later. With that said, this opinion is worth the exact value of the paper it's written on. Good luck.
My opinion (for what it's worth LOL) you are bang on. There are some predictions of a 20% drop in real estate this year. Turbulent times ahead I think.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:38 AM

Trudeau is using borrowed money like there is no tomorrow, the us and china is in a trade war, , trudeau will be printing more money to get votes and carry on his lavish life style

canadian dollar is going to slide. my opinion.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor1971 View Post
I need to purchase expensive equipment in the USA this year. What will the loonie do in your humble opinion?

Let me correct you and the media too. ITS THE CANDIAN DOLLAR..... Loonie is a slang for a one dollar coin with a loon on it. That one dollar coin says "one dollar" on it....... When people and the Canadian media refer to the Canadian currency as the loonie, they are wrong.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykuch View Post
Let me correct you and the media too. ITS THE CANDIAN DOLLAR..... Loonie is a slang for a one dollar coin with a loon on it. That one dollar coin says "one dollar" on it....... When people and the Canadian media refer to the Canadian currency as the loonie, they are wrong.
Let me correct you.

ITS THE CANADIAN DOLLAR......

(sorry, had to)

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-17-2019, 12:16 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Let me correct you.

ITS THE CANADIAN DOLLAR......

(sorry, had to)
ZING!!!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 01-17-2019, 12:32 PM

Likely to move in a 2 or 3 cent range over the next 6 months. Won't make a lot of difference unless you are buying big blocks of funds. Most Banks charge you a 3 cent premium when you buy or sell U.S. dollars. If you want to save a bunch of money and are buying larger chunks go through one of the specialized outlets. Canadian Snowbird Association does large group buys and saves you about 2.5%, and Knightsbridge Currency brokers is about the same savings with no membership requirements.

https://www.knightsbridgefx.com/
Old 01-17-2019, 02:06 PM

Our dollar dropped a dime the day the dope won the election. If voters aren't as stupid this time around it should go up a dime.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:56 PM

Lets see who holds large Canadian Dollar Balance of Trade Surplus....

Oh yeah! CHINA! They are still our friends, right? They have no axe to grind with us do they? They won't want to crash our currency in revenge, will they?

But then again there is the Saudis. They are our friends, right? They have no axe to grind with us do they? They won't crash our currency in revenge, with they?

good thing JT & Co are going to sewer 12 Billion in sales to the Saudis. That way they won't need to purchase CDN $ to pay for those LAV 6's, and create demand for the CDN $, right!

You see the problem with playing Global politics is that when someone else has large Currency reserves of yours, and are determined to punish you, you will get punished in the worst of manners, being your Currency.

All you can do is raise your Interest Rates to try and attract CDN Bond investors, which of course makes borrowing money more expensive for Government Debt servicing.

But DON'T YOU WORRY! The Government is looking out for you.

(Yeah, expect a drop in the dollar anytime soon).

Drewski
Old 01-17-2019, 03:47 PM

Interm way drop 3-5cents overall we wont know until the election. BOC was talking holding interest rates for now.. but who knows.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:29 PM

IMHO;
Will keep declining until a new government(s) are voted in...Very sad indeed..

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.