Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 07:35 PM

Default Polaris quads

Sold my old quad and was going to get a new one wanted to know if people have had good luck with newer Polaris vs Yamaha ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2019, 07:39 PM

The Polaris I had was a lemon would not own another one. Now have can am and Yamaha in my opinion the grizzly is one of the best machines out there.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:40 PM

Grizz 700. Love mine.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:45 PM

Default Flames

I have had good luck with Polaris

Last edited by spurly; 01-16-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:47 PM

Yamaha grizz here. Wouldn’t hesitate buying another Honda either.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Wow, can these guys pass, to control play.
And that's why you don't get drunk watch the hockey game and go on the forum. 😂
Old 01-16-2019, 08:07 PM

That Polaris 570 hauls ass, and looks very good. I really want to embrace Polaris but upon inspection the build quality just doesn't stack up against the Jap quads.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
The Polaris I had was a lemon would not own another one. Now have can am and Yamaha in my opinion the grizzly is one of the best machines out there.
Same issue with my POS Polaris 500 Sportsman never own another one .
Old 01-16-2019, 08:52 PM
Banned

I've got a 500 ho that I use for plowing snow since 2004. all I've ever had to do is oil/gas/battery...…..lots of guys here bad mouth them but I don't get it.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:56 PM

No good luck with Polaris Sportsman 500 either.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:10 PM

My 2001 sportsman is a tank and still going strong with regular maintenance. My 2014 850 SP is nice but built a lot lighter in the frame than the old ones. My new one will never take a beating like my old 01 does. I still love the Polaris but they are not as strong as they used to be.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
I've got a 500 ho that I use for plowing snow since 2004. all I've ever had to do is oil/gas/battery...…..lots of guys here bad mouth them but I don't get it.
Probably because they have owned one and it was a piece of junk would be my guess, do a quick Google search "Polaris sucks", "Polaris warranty sucks" or any other tag lines like that.

Also their warranty service is legendary, but for all the wrong reasons.

From another local forum.
http://www.snowandmud.com/archive/in...p/t-80582.html

Polaris is the red headed step child of the powersports world because of their lack of reliability, just the facts.

Fantastic your's has been good to you, you're definitely the exception and not the rule, hope you get many more miles problem free. Cheers
Old 01-17-2019, 05:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well look at longevity, reliability etc I always say people switch out there equipment because it gets old or starts breaking down and it costs them down time, money and well just a pain in the azzzz.....2004 Honda.....16000km.s.....no reason to get rid of it.....for any of the above listed issues.....vroooooom.....enough said.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-17-2019, 06:43 AM

After having put just over 20,000km each on two Honda quads I wanted to see if anything else could last even half that many km. Bought a Polaris 500. Went straight back to the dealership a month later just garbage compared to the hondas. Now I have a Suzuki king quad and so far I am really happy with it. Only have 6000 km on it though. Time will tell I guess.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG View Post
After having put just over 20,000km each on two Honda quads I wanted to see if anything else could last even half that many km. Bought a Polaris 500. Went straight back to the dealership a month later just garbage compared to the hondas. Now I have a Suzuki king quad and so far I am really happy with it. Only have 6000 km on it though. Time will tell I guess.
My Suzuki Vinson is a tank! Never ever let me down.

I’m wanting a Polaris Ranger 1000 because they’re so far ahead of the others with their sxs but the reviews on customer service and reliability are shockingly bad. I’m not sure if I should look into the upgrades they’ve made over the previous models and roll the dice or just go Japanese.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Probably because they have owned one and it was a piece of junk would be my guess, do a quick Google search "Polaris sucks", "Polaris warranty sucks" or any other tag lines like that.

Polaris is the red headed step child of the powersports world because of their lack of reliability, just the facts.

Fantastic your's has been good to you, you're definitely the exception and not the rule, hope you get many more miles problem free. Cheers
why don't you try to say what you really think? just said i've had no trouble with mine and am puzzled as to why mine must be the only good one out there. my rancher friend now has 33xxx on his honda foreman and it runs like it is new, so i really do know how reliable they are.......but i'm telling you i have owned 4 polaris machines now and they have all treated me right.

you sir, are certainly entitled to your opinion that they are junk.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post

by =spoiledsaskhunter
why don't you try to say what you really think? just said i've had no trouble with mine and am puzzled as to why mine must be the only good one out there. my rancher friend now has 33xxx on his honda foreman and it runs like it is new, so i really do know how reliable they are.......but i'm telling you i have owned 4 polaris machines now and they have all treated me right.

I agree with ALL Oudoors. Some guys bought Range Rovers and never had a problem with them too, but they are a TINY minority of the total buyers. Most people who have owned Polaris or Range Rover both hate the repair costs on them.

Of the choices you listed, Yamaha. My preference though is Honda but it really depends how you use it most. The Yamaha is a better sport ride and nearly as reliable as the Honda.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:18 AM

Japanese please.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:29 AM

Own Honda foreman, Polaris 400 sportsman. Honda more reliable, less comfy. The Polaris, has couple little hickups (easy to fix), more comfortable Atv then Honda. Yamaha 700 grizzly, nice machine, good motors, excellent suspension. Buy the griz, if price is competitive.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:31 AM

I have an 09 Polaris 800 2-up. Never had any problems. Smooth ride over any terrain, more power than I can handle. Everything else I tried was like riding a 56 Fargo truck.
Nothing like asking a question on this forum and actually expecting everyone to agree.
Might as well ask who thinks their wife is the best or what is the best dog to have. all very entertaining at best. I have learned long ago to test drive everything and decide what suits me best. And as for the forums that diss everything about certain makes, well it is the internet and everything must be true of course. Not to mention how some treat their equipment. I know too many guys that destroy anything they touch, hard to expect anything useful from their opinions.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
It's not an opinion, they ARE less than stellar quality. Look no farther than this very thread and the one I posted, disproportionate numbers of machines that keep falling apart and customer service that largely dosent stand behind their products. I encourage you to do your own research and you will find the same results.

Glad to hear Polaris has been good to you, that's awesome because they have proven over and over to be less than acceptable quality.

Everyone's experience will vary, again glad to hear they have been good to you cause that's definitely not the general consensus with the masses.

Just so you don't think I'm a hater my sled is a Polaris and it's been relatively good to me but most guys in the sledding community consider them to be less than stellar quality. Google Liberty 800 motors, hard to find a Polaris Dragon with the original engine still in it, they were almost designed to fail.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:47 AM

2005 Polaris sportsman 500 ho here, bought new, has about 10 k on it now. Had a faulty e-module when new they fixed it up pronto, about the only problem Is the starter and drive I've had to replace a few times, other than that just routine maintenance. Been an excellent ride
Old 01-17-2019, 10:49 AM

If the timing works, when I get back into a quad and I don't buy a friends 800 Outlander when he is ready to sell, I will buy a used Yammy 700 Grizz all day long. Just love everything about the Grizz.

Only reason I would go for the Outlander 800 is, it has higher km's and will sell for a real good price, plus I know the owner, how it was rode and taken care of.

If Polaris and Yammy are the choices, Yammy is the one Imo.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:08 AM

Have had both a Grizz and an 850 sportsman. Neither gave me a minutes trouble. My thoughts:

Grizzly- better for trail riding, smoother throttle.

Sportsman- More stable, lock'n ride feature is handy.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:24 AM

On my second Polaris. First was an 800 touring. Very comfortable, lots of power and no issues. Bought a 1000 touring in late 2018 and so far it is great. I had a Kawasaki 650 Brute force that for many years as well that was not fuel injected and it gave me a few problems but was generally pretty rugged and comfortable to drive. The Kawasaki always was hard starting in the cold. Also have a Yamaha Viking SXS for the past few years and it has been really great as well. Also have two Polaris sleds and they are awesome.

Dealership I go to stands behind the Polaris product and is very easy to deal with. This is going to be one of those polarized (haha) arguments like which truck is best, which gun/calibre is best etc. - everyone has an opinion and thinks their opinion is best. Tall order but try to find a dealer who will work with you, is honest and cares about what they sell and you will be fine with most quads these days (except for Arctic Cats).

Alba gu brath!

Last edited by Ceilidh69; 01-17-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:42 AM

Default Polaris Quads

I will share my 2 cent opinion.

I have owned 5 Polaris atv's ( a 400,500 700 and a 800 and now a 570 all from new).I would have nothing bad to say about any of them. Have they improved since my first one? yes defiantly, will people compare the problems they remember once upon a time on an older unit, yes. But the technology has improved. Have I had little mechanical issues, Yes, Some self induced, Yes. Every manufacturer does. I would go with the SP model not the standard model.

I had two Hondas in the mix at one time also, a 300 and a 420( both from new). complaints no, would I buy another, no, Honda just cant compare in ride and HP.

I currently own a 570sp. It works my trapline summer and winter, works around the farm in the summer and plowing all my snow in the winter, 100 yard driveway + parking area in front of shop, area in pasture in front of bales 100ft x200 ft. Replaced a 800 sportsman with a 570 sportsman with no complaints.

Polaris ATV's have the biggest market share right now for a reason. a 570 that provides equivalent HP to the Grizzly 700. Ride quality is excellent, Works hard
Works hard in the snow working the trapline in the winter, Works hard in muskeg in the summer. Storage is excellent, Polaris lock and ride accessories are awesome. Very comfortable.

Cant say anymore, I would buy another. Yes 100%.

I also second on good dealerships, It just happens I have 2 Polaris dealerships that are great, The Artic cat/ Yammy dealer in the area is top notch also, I have just never bought one of their ATV's.

Last edited by kritz; 01-17-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
My Polaris 500 Sportsman is a 2000 with only 2500 miles .
Bought it used with only 300 miles, its never been rat bagged driven , mostly used on forest serviced roads and light snow plowing .

I have replaced the front strut-shocks ,all the front and rear A-Frame bushings, front and rear brake pads 2x , front brakes rotors , both front axle boots , rebuild the auto lock frt hub units ,the list goes on .
Maybe I have a factory lemon ! Its a real pain to work on , just doing a simple oil change and grease job you need double joined arms and elbows to reach into all the tight spots . If you have ever worked on any Caterpillar track unit you will know what I'm talking about .
The only nice part about this POS quad is it has a nice ride .
Old 01-17-2019, 12:32 PM

My Sportsman 1000 is a great quad.
Never had a problem, great ride and more power than you know what to do with.
I plow snow with it, trail ride, hunt etc. and it's always performed perfect.
I'd get another Polaris without hesitation.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:58 PM

I find that most people that have issues with Polaris ,talk about the issue their friend's buddy's cousin had ,and rarely have first hand experience unless it was a machine they beat to death back in the day.
Much like the Honda fan boys always ranting about belts blowing on belt driven machines. I've never seen or had a belt blow up on a atv but if you read the forums you would think it was as common as potholes on an Edmonton street.
I've had my share of Polaris and other brands and if you do your part they are all pretty reliable

96 Polaris 2stroke 300 totally abused before me never got any joy always fixing.
03 Polaris trailblazer 250 from new ,great machine no problems ever
02 Polaris trailblazer 250 (wife's machine no issues
05 bought new Yamaha kodiak 400 ,no Issues ,3500 km
06 bought new Arctic Cat 500(Wife's machine)heavy as a tank ran fine but hard starting pig,front ball joint literally fell out on the trail not an AC fan.
2010 bought new Polaris rzr 800 3500k no issues ever
2008 yamaha rhino 700 bought at auction with 7800 km that thing was as tight as new still and ran beautiful .
2013 bought new Polaris Ranger midsize 800 3000 km no issues loved that machine
2015 Bought new Polaris Ranger 570 full size 1000 km loved it no issues but moved back to town and needed something that would fit in my truck box so sadly had to sell,

I now have a Honda Pioneer 500 I have put 100km on .I bought it mostly because I can haul it in my 1/2 ton . Hope it's as good as my Polaris machines were.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:11 PM

Brand new 2014 Yamaha Grizzly, first day out cost $2000 to sling the pile of crap back in under an A-Star. Power steering locked up tight and machine would not even turn over. Had all of 50 kms on it.