Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 09:16 AM

Default Grande Cache

Hey AO!

I've got some snowshoes and plans to go to Grande Cache a couple of times this winter. I have never been there when there is snow on the ground, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend some snowshoeing trails and/or places one can glass up some critters on their wintering range. Are most of the regular trails (i.e. Mt. Hamel, Grande Mountain, etc...) usable/safe in the winter with snowshoes? I'd imagine if one could get up there, they could spot critters with the binos/spotting scope. Can anyone provide an update on snow conditions?

I will also be bring the fishing gear as a backup if there is lots of snow or no good trails to check out. Probably fish Pierre Greys or something. I have only recently moved up north and have had one summer exploring around GC, so I am looking forward to seeing more country!

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2019, 11:15 AM

Re: snow conditions. So as not to have snow fall out from under you it is a good idea to verify personally.
A shovel and plastic card ie credit or such is potentially life saving.

Dig a chimney in the snowpack. Basically you leave a square of undisturbed snow, dig around this down to ground level.

Take card holding it verticaly and slide it from top to bottom without too much pressure from the low side of hill. Pay attention to where the card stops as this is glazing caused by sun or rain, do the same to the high side. If two cards are used one can view from the side and possibly make out this hardened surface and it's slope.

Remove cards, insert below glazing and repeat process to ground level. Always pay attention to the slope of the glazing and how much spacing between.

This method shows the avalanche potential on any grade and should be practiced in any unknown mountainous terrain.

If the glazing is steep and there are multiple levels with some distance between, then there is good potential the upper layers may begin to shift following the rules of gravity.

This is an old but true method of personal verification of snowpack stability and can be practiced on any undisturbed snow in any area, even a field for practice

Happy hiking!

Edit to add: If the glaze layer is thick at any depth, then there is a very high potential for that layer to hold while the upper layer(s) shift which is a very bad thing.

Last edited by HalfBreed; 01-16-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:26 PM

caddisfly7, there's a bunch of facebook groups you can check out for info on grande cache snow and mountain trails. Look for grande prairie runners groups, grande cache groups, and canadian death race groups.

I've seen lots of posts about open invitations for group hikes and runs in the area, and there are a pile of people who regularly use the trails that can answer your questions.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:27 PM

Head North #40 approx 20km North of GC. The hang left (west), on sheep creek road. Follow, and explore. Likely need a radio, to communicate loggers, operators. This will take you into willmore area (50km). Beautiful country, see sheep on mountain. Take note, also Grizzly country.
PB43
Old 01-16-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Head North #40 approx 20km North of GC. The hang left (west), on sheep creek road. Follow, and explore. Likely need a radio, to communicate loggers, operators. This will take you into willmore area (50km). Beautiful country, see sheep on mountain. Take note, also Grizzly country.
PB43
Ya can't go onto the sheep creek road past km 13 due to it being gated and locked like 75% of the back road entrances around there but if you head north of GC just past the bridge take a left onto the sulphur gates road too the end and you can take the trail that goes back into the park for miles! The best thing to do is to stop at the information center when you first get into Grande Cache and ask them as they have all kinds of maps and directions for hiking, snow shoeing, quading, biking etc. PM me if you need further details.
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:24 AM

Thanks Folks!

I plan on snowshoeing into the park from the Sulphur Gates access and probably will glass from the Sheep Creek Road later in the day! I have been in the information center in the past to grab the Passport to the Peaks book, nice place and nice people!
Old 01-17-2019, 10:22 AM

Default snow

If you are breaking trail with Snowshoes you better have legs like Swartzy. Also better not try the metal/plastic ones you may never get back to your truck. I buried my sled 5 times in one day on trapline, most time only windshield was showing. My line is furthur east from Grand Cache.