Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2017, 08:06 PM

Default Quick Pigeon trip

Snuck out to Pigeon this morning to continue the hunt for whites. Got there a bit later than I wanted and got setup. Didn't see anything and didn't mark anything till just after 9 a.m. Had some marks but nothing quick that would show itself so I figured must be walleye. Around 9:20 I had something move off the bottom quick and looked down to see a big white just cruise by the hook. 5 minutes later, repeat but this one took a swipe before taking off. Didn't see anything for a while and by 15 to 10 I started thinking about packing up since I had other stuff to do. Another image shows on the bottom and quickly moves up. Look down and see a huge white come in and swipe and miss. Does a turn, out of view. and comes in and nails it. Fish on! I decided to let this one play itself out. Had some good long runs. Then I started reeling up the JawJacker as I didn't want to tangle. Thought I did all the way up. Got the fish closer and could see it was a tank! It circled and shortly after what to I see...my JJ hook go by...sigh. Shortly after the lines got entangled and messy. I free spooled the JJ reel and kept fighting. Finally there was no more I could do to reel since the lines were so tangled. Time to hand bomb it in... I'm amazed it stayed on as a tried to figure which line was which and then finally felt the real weight of this fish. Impressive! It took a huge run and all the line left my hand and then tightened up on the rod and the rod started heading for the hole. Grabbed it but now the line is still wrapped and super tight. Figured this was going to break off ....felt like it...but it didn't. Some great pulls later I finally get the fish in the hole and slowly get it up and dive in behind it and pull it out. Success!!!!

Lines were a total mess. lost about 20 feet on the main rod and about 30 yards on the JJ.

White weighed in at exactly 6 lbs and 25 inches in length. Close to personal best. I'm still amazing I got through all that to land it.

Pics:

So much fun, and luck!
Old 03-17-2017, 09:47 PM

beautiful fish indeed. what color did you use? I assume you were using ww hook?
Old 03-17-2017, 11:06 PM

Way to go once again...love the enthusiasm because I been there and one fish in what seems to be the artic ocean can suddenly make it all worthwhile. Gotta have faith in the spot and the lure and know when the chance finally presents itself you gotta make it count. That's pigeon for ya. Love it or hate it, until you get the glimmer of hope and realize the potential it seems like a waste of time. Thanks from one who knows. Special fish right there.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:21 AM

Good ole copper. Must be the shine.

Yeah, that was one lucky landing. When I set the rod down away from the tangled mess it was about 4 feet away and was almost pulled into the hole in seconds. These big whites have some kind of power. I still can't believe I didn't snap off. Good ole stretch of mono was the difference maker this time.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:35 AM

Grats

great story and play by play action.. exciting !!

Thanks for sharing

David
Old 03-19-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Good ole copper. Must be the shine. :)
Lingcod eggs are copper or brassy colored, which whitefish love to eat. That's why copper/brass is productive towards spring.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-20-2017, 11:39 AM

hows the ice?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pond jumper View Post
hows the ice?
Good hard ice. Should be no issues until closure. Just stay away from the heaves. They are bad and dangerous now.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:02 PM

Sunday was a windy one. Get out bright and early though. First one on the ice. Pull the cord on the auger...nothing...and nothing....and nothing........sigh. I think it is actually the switch but I'll get it tuned up anyways. 8 years, no issues before this.

So I head in search of holes and find some. I jumped around on previous holes and marked fish but nothing. Waited out there until the stores were open can called around. Ended up going with another 10 inch. This one was in the Bargain Cave at Cabelas for $400 - Eskimo Z51. I really wanted the Z71 but read good things about the 51.

I travelled around Pigeon on the way back and did some exploring on other places to get on. And yes, Grandview is locked in with heaves. Got back out to where I started. Fire up the auger and it turns over on the 2nd pull. Cuts like a friggen dream to. Lighter than my Jiffy and smooooooooth.

Start fishing and I mark a big mark. It is moving fast and I look down to see a big white inhale the hook. A real nice fight. Hand fought the fish for about 5 of the 7 minutes. Got it in and landed. A nice fat 5 lber!
Way to save the day

Old 03-21-2017, 01:13 PM

Haha love the news paper headline... Eating your way through the addiction Congrats on your season so far thx for sharing
Old 03-21-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain2 View Post
Haha love the news paper headline... Eating your way through the addiction Congrats on your season so far thx for sharing
Lol, I just noticed that. Local on here was telling me something about that and I thought he was losing it....looks like I was losing it instead...but that is funny!

Thought I would mention, on the 5 lber I did reel up the JJ while hand fighting the white. So one hand holding the line and keeping tension. The other reeling up the JJ. Of course I knocked it over and I must have looked more awkward than a pimple faced nerd on the first date, but hey, I managed to get it all done. I wish I had a video of how ridiculous that must have looked. Maybe it is time to move the JJ a bit further away now that the weather is warmer.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:08 PM

Mr. Snap .... wow, another Bty, your Mrs. must be proud, you keep bringing home dinner for two with leftovers. Did you fix the Jiffy 30 or retire her? Tks for sharing the story & pics.

P.S. .... Mrs. Hummer had 2 jelly bean size chicks (Huey & Dewey) they left the nest yesterday, never/ever seen a Baby H-Bird before.

Cheers

D.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:59 AM

Thanks Zip

About 50% went to the table and the smoker will be fired up after this weekend. I have 3 beauties destined for smoking.

I plan to get the Jiffy fixed so I have a backup. The Eskimo will be used with the skidoo and keep the heavier Jiffy in the truck for the later season.

Glad you and the Mrs. are keeping warm.

Final push for me this weekend. Hoping to end with something.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:32 PM

that whitefish has a very small head for the size of body, must be lots of feed in the lake now. that fish growth is way out proportion .
Old 03-23-2017, 10:02 AM

Hows the ice around shore? Still driving trucks out?
Old 03-23-2017, 10:09 PM

Solid ice to shore with little melt. Still lots of snow on the lake. Should start to degrade more this week but will be fine this weekend. Stay away from the heaves though!
Old 03-25-2017, 09:47 AM

Nice!