Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-26-2013, 05:01 PM

As previously stated by many thanks to everyone who put so much hard work into this event to make it go off without a hitch. As Dick says there is something to take out of all of the different targets and positions as they all apply to a hunting scenario. I was able to improve my score from last year so I must have learned something. I feel bad because I flew in and flew out when so many put so much hard work into the event. I will definitely be back next year again.

I have no idea who RMan is but it is posts such as those that discourage me from spending more time on this site. Shame on him. It really is too bad as there is a lot of good information on here but I can't sift through the trash.

Thanks again Hammer (bloke named Jeffery)
Old 08-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Banned

Anyone who doesn't acknowledge Dick's effort in putting this on is nothing more than a small wanting little man, if I can even use the word "man". Nevertheless, I had a few choice words, but decided to hold my tongue, as I mean to keep my membership here in good standing, and the "man" is no longer able to defend himself due to a suspension. Thus, I will further hold my tongue as any good man would offer one that cannot defend himself. But make no mistake about it, Dick284 does much to support his community and the efforts of Junior hockey players as we all can attest to with his having to leave the shoot and attend a hockey meeting. His kids, Richie and Jena sure as heck haven't turned out to be the outstanding sportsmen (women) that they are by having been raised by a couch potato. Yes, Dick is my friend, I met him thru this event as I have many others. And I can say that I've never met anyone that I would label an "areshole" in the years that I've been there. Under most circumstances, I would challenge anyone to come out and show their skills. Prime example is Lefty Canuck, turns out we became friends. But you Rman, I would suggest to Dick that he deny your entry into any future events as no of of have anything to prove to you and we don't need nor want arseholes around our campfire. For your well being is all, we had a huge firepit. Only an imbecile wouldn't figure out that a 9 year old isn't in the same class as adults or even older youths for that matter. Duhhhhh!

Last edited by gitrdun; 08-26-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:38 PM

Default First shoot

I would like to say a big thank you to Dick for all of his hard work in organizing this event. As an executive to many different clubs, past and present, I am well aware of the work involved in organizing any event. (LOTS OF WORK)

This was my very first shoot. I must say at first I felt very intimidated shooting with 28 men and being the only female shooter among the seniors. I am the size of a junior and have only had two years experience with guns.

Thanks to Dick284, 6.5x47 Lapua, Duceman and Backwoods Runner for there coaching and willingness to share there knowledge. Thanks to all of you I walked away with a good experience. I learned a few things, made many new friends and realize that WOW! there is real (caring) people in this world.

It was truly an enjoyable event. I hope that we are all blessed with good health in the next year and a good gun to join in the events next year.

I look forward to seeing you all again soon
Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 PM

Default Thanks for the Rodeo

My son, my friends and I would like to extend a heartfelt thanks to Dick 284 and all other event organizers for another fantastic Rifle rodeo. Thanks also to all non shooters that helped in any way, shape or form. Duce, Bob, Gitrdun and Predator, love ya (in a non sexual way). The air was thick with laughs, food, sportsmanship and camaraderie. I personally invited 5 people new to this event and all want a spot reserved for next year. The amount of experience any shooter can gain at this event is invaluable. There were no snide comments for zero scores, only helpful tips. And there were plenty of those available from knowledgeable shooters. Perfect scores in any round were applauded, and rightfully so. Hope to see all participants next year and hope to make new friends as well. To Rman. Have no idea what your feud with Dick is but I will offer this. I understand that Dick can be, well, a "dick" at times, but so can I, or anyone at this event. Doesn't make any of us bad people. I see duceman has invited you to the Homestead shoot. Consider your entry fee paid. By me. I'll pay Dicks way in too. Hope he can make it. Personally, I don't give a rip about who shoots what. I do know that Dick will share his vast knowledge of shooting with anyone that asks. And, even more emphasis on youths. They are the future of shooting sports. So, I encourage you to attend this event, gratis. (Will take PM's on cash donations for Rman's gas money and ammo costs for this event). Get out there and mentor the youths and inferior shooters with YOUR vast knowledge. Dick and duce have "been there, done that".
Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 AM

It's too bad that this event is held to 40 people. It could double in size next year pretty easy I think.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:24 AM

Sure sounds like a great time had by all. I wouldn't get to worked up about the jelousy of peanut gallery. Unfortunately for me with work commitments anytime in August will never work for me too attend. But I sure like hearing about it, and good on you for encouraging the youngsters aswell.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 AM

Congratulations to everyone involved with the event, as getting people out to shoot is a winning proposition for our sport. It's not about the score that you shoot, or about who wins, it's about promoting the sport, and encouraging more people to get out shooting, especially the younger/newer shooters.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:58 AM

For years now I've looked forward to hearing Rifle Rodeo stories about the fun that was had, the sportsmanship and mentoring, and the marksmanship displayed.

Thanks to you Dick and to the many others who volunteer their time & donate prizes for this great event.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:58 AM

plans are in the works to upgrade the target system; hoping to cap at 50 - 60 next year. if all goes well, i see a 2 day event in a couple years.
we played with the f-class guns on thursday night and friday, and although we only have 400yds to play with, there is a lot of stuff going on in that tunnel.
my 6br will consistantly shoot 2'' at 500 meters, in ideal conditions, but holding moa at 400 took a lot of steering in drayton, and i didn't see any conditions working against me!
Old 08-27-2013, 12:55 PM

If anyone that was at the rodeo is missing some sunglasses, PM me.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:35 PM

Who's missing a pair of yellow muffs?

There are no absolutes
Old 08-27-2013, 06:28 PM

I got mine
Old 08-27-2013, 08:04 PM

name tags might be in order next year identifying AO title or if you prefer your actual handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator View Post
If anyone that was at the rodeo is missing some sunglasses, PM me.
are they black wrap style safety glasses?
if they are...i dont needm... unless your coming my way /im going your way it will be an excuse to coffee.
btw, the younger shooter i brought with me (Josh) never stopped talking about the info you gave him (including about the 25-06 ackley) all the way home.
you made a huge impression on him. (despite what i told him about you!).

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 08-27-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
name tags might be in order next year identifying AO title or if you prefer your actual handle

are they black wrap style safety glasses?
if they are...i dont needm... unless your coming my way /im going your way it will be an excuse to coffee.
btw, the younger shooter i brought with me (Josh) never stopped talking about the info you gave him (including about the 25-06 ackley) all the way home.
you made a huge impression on him. (despite what i told him about you!).
These ones aren't the safety glasses. 6.5x47 has those ones. Nevertheless, we need to get together for a BS anyway. Sooner rather than later too.
Josh is a good kid (and I'm glad you forewarned him lol). I hope he comes out with you next year too!
Old 08-28-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator View Post
Josh is a good kid (and I'm glad you forewarned him lol). I hope he comes out with you next year too!
My son and I had a nice chat with Josh, when he wasnt napping ! He was very eager to hear what we were shooting and to tell us about his 25-06. He seem really impressed my boy was shooting a 270, I didnt have the heart to tell him the ammo was out of a pink can from the rainbow bright line-up!

It was great to see how many guys Josh's age that were at the shoot, an man could those guys shoot!
Old 08-28-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
My son and I had a nice chat with Josh, when he wasnt napping ! He was very eager to hear what we were shooting and to tell us about his 25-06. He seem really impressed my boy was shooting a 270, I didnt have the heart to tell him the ammo was out of a pink can from the rainbow bright line-up!

It was great to see how many guys Josh's age that were at the shoot, an man could those guys shoot!
he is the a neighbour actually, i took him out gopher shooting when he was 12 years old, and was hooked with the sport.
crazy kid is on his 33rd 12hr shift in a row and this was his first day off. he had to back at work at 0700 the next morning. that's why we slipped out early.

oh to be young again to able to pull those kinds of shifts...im amazed at how quickly kids pick up on this stuff

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 08-28-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
he is the a neighbour actually, i took him out gopher shooting when he was 12 years old, and was hooked with the sport.
crazy kid is on his 33rd 12hr shift in a row and this was his first day off. he had to back at work at 0700 the next morning. that's why we slipped out early.

oh to be young again to able to pull those kinds of shifts...im amazed at how quickly kids pick up on this stuff
Holy crap no wonder he was catching some shut eye in between his turns.

Good on you for bringing him Roger, the world is a better place with neighbours like you!
Old 08-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Banned

I too had the pleasure of talking to Josh. That boy showed up at the shoot with dirt and grit on his hands from just getting off work in time to jump in the car and go. What a nice young man, salt of the earth. Looking forward to seeing him again, and nice of you Roger to have his back. This event has left me with superb memories.