Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-24-2022, 05:41 PM

Bob, have you made any headway with getting your course/courses done and application for your RPAL/PAL? Did you need anymore help with anymore purchases?
Old 01-24-2022, 07:23 PM

Well, speaking on behalf of Bob,

His PAL application is in process. His rifle is being bedded by Dean. He has a set of CZ rings, and in those rings I have a Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44mm scope with illuminated reticle, sitting in my closet, that he got from an AO gent who is local to me (so I met up with him).

I love when a plan comes together....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-24-2022, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Well, speaking on behalf of Bob,

His PAL application is in process. His rifle is being bedded by Dean. He has a set of CZ rings, and in those rings I have a Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44mm scope with illuminated reticle, sitting in my closet, that he got from an AO gent who is local to me (so I met up with him).

I love when a plan comes together....
Sounds like Bob has got this under control. Are you allowed to buy Bob’s first shotty on his behalf too?

Last edited by HyperMOA; 01-24-2022 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:54 PM

I was only following orders.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-25-2022, 10:05 AM
AO Sponsor

Haha! Yeah I have had a few P.O.C.'s helping me along with this project (for lack of a better word!).

I was fortunate after a ton of calling with the RCMP I found out that even though I let my original FAC lapse, because I did my full safety course in 1995 and that the records are still on file with them, I did not have to go through and do all the courses again and I was able to simply go through the normal application process. If my course was 1993 or earlier I would have had to redo everything.

Now it is just a matter of waiting for the approval process like everyone else but thanks to some amazing AO characters, they are getting me all set up and keeping everything in their possession until my PAL comes through keeping me nice and legal.

What a crew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Sounds like Bob has got this under control. Are you allowed to buy Bob’s first shotty on his behalf too?
OMG such an addiction already... I am constantly looking at what I 'NEED" next, because we all know having a multitude of guns is about needs, amirite?? lol!

When I broke the news to my poor wife about TC and SNS2 cajoling into such a speedy decent down the slope, she did the old face palm and said "Twisted?? OMG you will have 10 rifles by the end of the week now!"... I immediately took that as permission to buy 10 rifles. Apparently she disagrees with my interpretation...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23

Last edited by tirebob; 01-25-2022 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:20 AM

Your lovely wife is gonna get me our next get together. Probably gonna slip me some gin and Crown in chocolate milk with nutmeg sprinkles.

I'm gonna be extra nice, bring her a couple bottles of my best wine.

Bob is diving down the slippery slope with reckless abandon.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:27 AM
AO Sponsor

[QUOTE=Twisted Canuck;4476239]Your lovely wife is gonna get me our next get together. Probably gonna slip me some gin and Crown in chocolate milk with nutmeg sprinkles.

I'm gonna be extra nice, bring her a couple bottles of my best wine.

Bob is diving down the slippery slope with reckless abandon.[/QUOTE'Tis my way for sure... LOL

And no... My wife accepts I make my own decisions... She never blames my buddies. She just thinks they are all the same breed of idiot as her husband!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 04-01-2022, 08:15 AM

Yesterday, Tirebob got to fire his new rifle for the first time, and he did very well, he has now actually fired a moa group at 100m. The AO crew has hooked him now, and I predict more firearms are headed his way.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:18 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

No scope kiss

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-01-2022, 12:16 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Yesterday, Tirebob got to fire his new rifle for the first time, and he did very well, he has now actually fired a moa group at 100m. The AO crew has hooked him now, and I predict more firearms are headed his way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
No scope kiss
I really appreciated all the help Elk! Had a great time and was awesome meeting peeps in person rather than just on the screen.

I owe a big thanks to everyone, but notably Elk, SNS2, Dean2 and begrudgingly that rotten sonuvagun Twisted Canack! You guys all rock!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 04-01-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I really appreciated all the help Elk! Had a great time and was awesome meeting peeps in person rather than just on the screen.

I owe a big thanks to everyone, but notably Elk, SNS2, Dean2 and begrudgingly that rotten sonuvagun Twisted Canack! You guys all rock!

Got pics of your groups? Or it didn't happen!
Old 04-01-2022, 02:02 PM

Good job Bob!!
Old 04-01-2022, 02:22 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranq78 View Post
Got pics of your groups? Or it didn't happen!
Somebody might have gotten a pic (Dean2?) but even still, I can't take a lot of credit. A solid rifle found by SNS2, glass bedded by Dean to an extremely high level of quality, a super job setting up my scope by Elk, amazing instruction and patience from everyone all parties, plus not wanting to give TC any opportunity to dig at my incompetence, and I got comfortable quickly!

My wife is scared now she sees the smile on my face and the cost (at least what I admitted too haha) of getting set up. She knows it is another rabbit hole of a hobby I am going down!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 04-02-2022, 10:32 AM

Range Day in Camrose with Bob's new shooting Iron.

Left to right

Twisted Canuck, SNS2, Tirebob, Elkhunter 11.

Bob's new CZ 30-06. I didn't get a picture of the target but all three sets of factory ammo shot an inch or better 3 shot groups at a 100 yards. Very good consistency for inexpensive factory ammo. The Federal Fusion shot the tightest groups. Considering Bob hasn't fired a gun in 25 years, he was doing well shooting an inch and less.

Barrel Break in/cleaning

Old 04-02-2022, 10:39 AM

Great pics Dean, but why did you Photoshop my beard so grey?

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 04-02-2022 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-02-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
He grayed all of our hair, and raised our hairlines.
Old 04-02-2022, 10:58 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
He grayed all of our hair, and raised our hairlines.
Now Dean figures he was safe being behind the camera, but thankfully Tom thought to grab a quick phone pic to prove he really exists... You gotta prove you belong in the Old Boys Silver Fox Shooting Club!

Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Last edited by tirebob; 04-02-2022 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:

(Captioned for posterity)

The 3 Tenors and their tour manager on an off day.

L-R Placido Domingo, Pavarotti, skinny guy nobody knows
Old 04-02-2022, 02:22 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

One word, awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-02-2022, 09:05 PM

Awesome day at the range, great company & great pics included. Well done, Everyone!!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 04-02-2022, 09:26 PM

I’ve been lucky enough to meet a couple of those great guys in the pics. I’ve also really enjoyed the couple times I’ve gotten to shoot at Camrose range. I need to make a point of joining and spending more time there.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:00 PM

Fantastic pictures fellas. Nice of you guys helping out a young shooter. The kid probably soaked up all that knowledge. 😀

Glad to hear you’ve got yourself a shooter Bob. So did you get to take it home with you too after firing it, or are you still waiting on your PAL? Did you get an RPAL yet? Did anyone bring a Python for you to get hooked by?
Old 04-11-2022, 08:03 PM

He has his eye on another Colt, 1911 Gold Cup. We gonna work it out Hyper.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:10 PM
AO Sponsor

Just waiting on the RPAL… Thankfully the boys are willing to babysit my stuff until it comes in!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 04-11-2022, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Every house should have at least one 1911. Like a hammer or tape measure really.
Old 04-11-2022, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Just waiting on the RPAL… Thankfully the boys are willing to babysit my stuff until it comes in!
I hope your license comes soon. Glad you got to go shoot it already. It’s a beaut.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:17 PM

Quote:
No no. Not a 45 handgun yet.

The secret you want to let Bob in on is 4 digits long.

MR-73

Good enuf for GIGN, good enuf for you. Smoothest DA pull ever. Good for 150 full power 357 rounds a day.
I broke down and gifted mine to my youngest who keeps it in his room with speedloaders. His mom pretends it ain't there.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2022, 03:24 AM

What an awesome thread....Glad to see so many guys willing to mentor a fellow trying to get back into the sport.
Now as to a Handgun you chaps may want to kindly suggest a 1911 for sure.....or maybe 2 of them, as in one in .45 acp and one in 9mm....of course there is always some sorta a Beretta 92 options....oh and maybe a .22LR you know....because the ammo is so much cheaper to feed them with....Oh my Bob so many interesting choices you are going to be making....Glad you have this crew for support...
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."
Old 04-12-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfton View Post
What an awesome thread....Glad to see so many guys willing to mentor a fellow trying to get back into the sport.
They're not mentoring. They're enabling!

And enjoying every minute of it, I suspect.

Old 04-12-2022, 11:16 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfton View Post
Now as to a Handgun you chaps may want to kindly suggest a 1911 for sure.....or maybe 2 of them, as in one in .45 acp and one in 9mm....of course there is always some sorta a Beretta 92 options....oh and maybe a .22LR you know....because the ammo is so much cheaper to feed them with....Oh my Bob so many interesting choices you are going to be making....Glad you have this crew for support...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranq78 View Post
They're not mentoring. They're enabling!

And enjoying every minute of it, I suspect.

Oh you all know it!!!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca