Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2011, 11:23 PM

Thumbs down Kikino Silver Birch Camping Disaster

Spent the last 4 days camping here. Did not know this is a ATV friendly camp site (which is not a problem usually). Not stated on the website. The noise was terrible!!! Everyone wanting to outdo with the loudest performance pipe. The dust was just as bad because the campsites are right next to the road. Some rules you sign off on when booking in and what we actually experienced:
No dogs allowed on the beach - everyone had their mutt there, ****ing in the sand where kids play. No boats between the swimmers - one guy actually had to shut his engine off before hurting someone. No open liqueur - what a joke! Speed limit of 10km/hr - not applicable to ATV's. Stunting is also a very favorite passtime all the time. The toilets/showers packed up on Sunday with a "no token return" policy. Can't believe how disgusting some people can be. While unloading beach toys I noticed a fresh baby diaper with wipes in the bush right next to the out-house. Driving back up the hill a guy tossed his can into the bush
I had a tough time explaining to my kids why rules are made to be broken and what "entitlement" means. I complained a few times but nothing was ever done. They claim on-site security for peace and quiet; more appropriate would be to deliver firewood:-( I experience more peace and quiet when going hunting. Sadly my family missed out on this nature experience at this camp site.

I shudder to imagine what the landscape looks like with so many ATV's. Earth stewards my *ss. Especially with so many people with total disregard to any rules/laws. Parents buy their kids ATV's instead of parenting and teaching them responsibility. It is a lot easier to give them a toy to "go play" Asked another camper a few doors down if this is the norm for this camp site and he said it is (unfortunately! )for the times he came. Will never go back there.... I do not usually complain but this was terrible. Will stick with Prov. Parks. I am ashamed to call myself a fellow Albertan after this weekend!! It would be interesting to hear others camping experience at this site. I feel better now...
Old 07-03-2011, 11:28 PM

pretty raw deal. To bad people don't have respect for other people...sometimes i'm afraid its a lost cause...
Old 07-03-2011, 11:36 PM

Not to hijack but spent a few days at the lake fishing..what is with all the A-holes in boats...its obvious we are fishing yet u rocket by 30 yds away at top speed..and dont even get me started on the idiot water skiers....it was like fishing on the Yellowhead
Old 07-04-2011, 12:29 AM

I hear ya...I spent a couple of days along the Atlas Road. In spite of the signs, ATVs were all over the road; parked 4 or 5 abreast, on at least 3 occasions, completely blocking the road. ATVers crossing the road without looking; a guy riding an ATV with a small child (about 3 years old, I would guess) sitting onthe handlebars; lots of people looked like they were driving ATVs under the influence of some sort of intoxicating substance (from the freshly-strewn beer cans all over the place, this was presumably the substance of choice). I was actually threatened by one guy, when I tried to access a designated hiking trail near where he was camped out. It was absolutely ridiculous; and caused me to leave earlier than I had planned.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-04-2011, 02:51 AM
grind stone

Default Wild !

I find it hard to believe there was so much lawlessness in one campground and no one could control this after the first day I think I would of bolted out of there never to return you have more nerve then me to stay 4 days in the wild west.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:59 AM

Just remember that there are only a few bad apples that make people like you think that all Albertans that own an ATV are terrible people.

I own an ATV and hardly ever use it within the camp ground. It stays on my truck and gets hauled out to the trail head to be used. Then goes back onto my truck to be hauled back to the camp site. I occasionally use it to go collect fire wood, or to dump the boat in the water, but I rarely ever break 10km/h in a camp ground and keep it in a high gear to keep the RPMs down.

Before you cast wide and sweeping accusations, take a few minutes to consider that many outdoorsmen such as myself enjoy ATVing and can do so in a respectful, non-destructive manner.

And don't get me started on the inconsiderate fishermen who see you using an area for tubing, water skiing etc then go and park their little dingy right in the middle of that area, then get all ornery about us "inconsiderate" boaters. Pretty lame to go out of their way to start trouble!
Old 07-04-2011, 07:25 AM

Went on my first mountain trail ride and can't believe some people...Was nice of about 1/3 the bikers to walk their bikes past the horses (7 of us) another 1/3 would slow down and 1/3 just hauled right by with no regard. You'd think when they see all the horses and us trying to move them either off the trail and to the side and stopping they would atleast have a little courtesy for us.

Driving out there was another story, twice I had to slam on breaks as someone tried passing without near enough room.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Gone Hunting

At least you got to get away from all the stress and crowds of the city.

RussellZ, I hear you loud and clear, but the reality is that someone will get hurt or dead or there will be confrontations and we know what happens then, The gov't will attack the fly with a hammer when they should be using chemicals on the cockroaches.

Like everyone else I know responsible people with quads. The thing is they are also responsible and reasonable without the quads.

You quad riders may have to take a page from the hookers' handbook and take back the trails. Maybe you need a group to 'police' the problem areas. Get the media involved. Let them know that you will be on patrol in large numbers in certain areas. The police won't get involved unless the political heat is turned up.

If the hookers and the natives and the rainbow riders can draw attention to their concerns by involving the media and becoming high profile it may work for quad riders as well.

Personally I don't care except I hate more regulations and that is what is coming unless the riders do something.

I don't have that problem.

I ride a political manure spreader.

Meet "Layton"

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-04-2011, 08:51 AM

This is why i don't camp on long weekends,its way over crowded and its only going to get worst in the next few years,maybe more camp sites is needed.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:07 PM

Well, welcome to the new Alberta. It aint the same place it was 10 years ago. Keep the mass migration coming and it's only going to get worse. This is why I love shift work, I actually enjoy working long weekends so I can avoid everything you just described.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:27 PM

Whitefish Lake indian reserve surrounds that lake and I believe they run the campsite. Not surprised by your weekend experience this is normal behavior by our "stewards of the land."

Tags
atv, camping, kikino, noise, silver birch