Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2022, 06:24 PM

It truly is a sad day when people are wronged when they spend their hard earned money to buy one of life’s largest purchases and are sold a bad product. People have suggested that I am in for a world of hurt but I have not slandered their business with lies or mistruths, everything is exactly as I wrote with no exaggeration, interpretation or mistruths. I should just give up because they are big business? I have a meeting at 2pm on Monday with the General manager and the customer relations manager. If there is anyone else there I will walk out and continue the course. I have done nothing but speak the truth.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:42 PM

I'm sorry that was not my intent, was just saying if they are miserable enough they might turn against you even further.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-22-2022, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I'm sorry that was not my intent, was just saying if they are miserable enough they might turn against you even further.
Fully understood, but under the definition of slander or/and liability I would have had to of lied or been dishonest, I have been very careful to not cross that line. I understand that they may not care about me being completely honest but the courts will
Old 01-22-2022, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
It truly is a sad day when people are wronged when they spend their hard earned money to buy one of life’s largest purchases and are sold a bad product. People have suggested that I am in for a world of hurt but I have not slandered their business with lies or mistruths, everything is exactly as I wrote with no exaggeration, interpretation or mistruths. I should just give up because they are big business? I have a meeting at 2pm on Monday with the General manager and the customer relations manager. If there is anyone else there I will walk out and continue the course. I have done nothing but speak the truth.
I'm not sure what else a person is supposed to do, not familiar with the legalities of slander or if there is a different definition that I'm aware of but what has been done to you is WRONG and their follow up actions to address the situation to resolve are also WRONG, in my book.

They are leaving you no recourse but to call them out.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Another response to Courtesy Chrysler
I wish you the best of luck, but I think you are losing sight of reality. You bought your jeep. That jeep comes with a warranty. The warranty is to repair defects, not to give you a new jeep. If they give you a new jeep and it’s starter fails will you expect another? If a jeep that requires a repair isn’t good enough for you, is it OK to sell to someone else after repairs, or should they all just be crushed?

Now your situation sucks, and I think your dealer is making it worse, no argument there. However, if they have changed the starter I feel they likely may have solved the problem. The only way to test to see if the intermittent problem is repaired is by using it. As in using your jeep. If it fails, call roadside assistance and carry on. If it’s fixed, pray it’s the last time you have to darken their doorstep.

Best of luck, I hope everything works out.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I wish you the best of luck, but I think you are losing sight of reality. You bought your jeep. That jeep comes with a warranty. The warranty is to repair defects, not to give you a new jeep. If they give you a new jeep and it’s starter fails will you expect another? If a jeep that requires a repair isn’t good enough for you, is it OK to sell to someone else after repairs, or should they all just be crushed?

Now your situation sucks, and I think your dealer is making it worse, no argument there. However, if they have changed the starter I feel they likely may have solved the problem. The only way to test to see if the intermittent problem is repaired is by using it. As in using your jeep. If it fails, call roadside assistance and carry on. If it’s fixed, pray it’s the last time you have to darken their doorstep.

Best of luck, I hope everything works out.
The warranty requires them to provide a functioning vehicle, whether they fix or replace the vehicle is up to them. But simply taking the vehicle in repeatedly and not fixing it, doesn't satisfy that warranty. I know people that did receive new vehicles through arbitration, but since Chrysler does not participate in the system that the new vehicles were awarded, that isn't likely to happen in this case.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The warranty requires them to provide a functioning vehicle, whether they fix or replace the vehicle is up to them. But simply taking the vehicle in repeatedly and not fixing it, doesn't satisfy that warranty. I know people that did receive new vehicles through arbitration, but since Chrysler does not participate in the system that the new vehicles were awarded, that isn't likely to happen in this case.
Yes, and they have replaced the starter. He says he won’t accept that as a repair. Warranty also doesn’t need to happen with the wave of a wand. Like I said it’s a crappy situation but the warranty is being adhered to. Poorly, but none the less, they are attempting repairs. As I asked though, does every warranty claim warrant a new vehicle?

The few scenarios I see where a new vehicle is supplied is when a fault that could be proven causes the vehicle to burn down or some other disaster where replacement would be obviously cheaper than a new vehicle. A possible starter issue will never require a vehicle replacement.

I’m glad you know people that were arbitrated new vehicles, are they the rule or the exemption that proves the rule?
Old 01-23-2022, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Yes, and they have replaced the starter. He says he won’t accept that as a repair. Warranty also doesn’t need to happen with the wave of a wand. Like I said it’s a crappy situation but the warranty is being adhered to. Poorly, but none the less, they are attempting repairs. As I asked though, does every warranty claim warrant a new vehicle?

The few scenarios I see where a new vehicle is supplied is when a fault that could be proven causes the vehicle to burn down or some other disaster where replacement would be obviously cheaper than a new vehicle. A possible starter issue will never require a vehicle replacement.

I’m glad you know people that were arbitrated new vehicles, are they the rule or the exemption that proves the rule?
He is now obligated to drive the vehicle to see if it really is fixed, if it is, the warranty is satisfied, if it isn't , they need to keep compensating him for any expenses that result from the vehicle not functioning, as in tow fees or rental vehicles, or taxis. The cases that I know where new vehicles were supplied, were both GM vehicles, the arbitrator based his decision on the amount of time the vehicle was owned vs the time the vehicle was not available to be driven. In both cases the dealer was being difficult, and in one case, they tried to deny warranty , by claiming that the vehicle was abused.
The fact that Chrysler does not participate in this arbitration system, is just one reason, that I avoid their products, what is the point of warranty, if the dealer, and the company can be so difficult when you need the warranty?
Old 01-23-2022, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Eddie said that’s what we paid for it and the rest is taxes, shipping etc and that he won’t pay that. I’m being so careful as to be 100% truthful as to avoid any slander issues but man it’s hard.
If you do trade it in .remember you already paid GST on the first one, on the second Jeep, you only pay GST on the difference. In my opinion, you should not have to pay any difference other than the difference in invoice prices, if the new Jeep is more expensive.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
He is now obligated to drive the vehicle to see if it really is fixed, if it is, the warranty is satisfied, if it isn't , they need to keep compensating him for any expenses that result from the vehicle not functioning, as in tow fees or rental vehicles, or taxis. The cases that I know where new vehicles were supplied, were both GM vehicles, the arbitrator based his decision on the amount of time the vehicle was owned vs the time the vehicle was not available to be driven. In both cases the dealer was being difficult, and in one case, they tried to deny warranty , by claiming that the vehicle was abused.
The fact that Chrysler does not participate in this arbitration system, is just one reason, that I avoid their products, what is the point of warranty, if the dealer, and the company can be so difficult when you need the warranty?
Actually, I think he only needs to be compensated for anything that his warranty outlines as covered. I’m quite sure that tows are covered under new car warranty, but sadly taxi rides, loaner cars or rentals probably aren’t. To be honest, I’m just guessing as I haven’t read the fine print on any of my warranties for years.

Other than that, I 100% agree with this post. If there are issues going forward though, the dealer should be bending over backwards to help the guy and try to salvage the relationship. However, they may have already written him off as a loss and will invest the very minimum into satisfying him at this point. Sadly, I’m worried that’s where the situation is going.

I think the OP should calm right down before his meeting tomorrow and be nothing but sunshine and lollipops. He has to refrain from screaming at them at all costs. Try to find a way forward, and temper expectations. It sucks, but if the relations manager sees him as perfectly reasonable he may finally gain an ally. To be honest, he needs all the help he can get at this point. Then as soon as things are resolved and he can cut relations with them; let them know how you feel about the treatment.

Last edited by HyperMOA; 01-23-2022 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
your iPhone has the ability to record

USE IT

put the phone in your front shirt pocket I think

be firm
Old 01-23-2022, 10:34 AM

My condolences out to you Jims83cj5, truly a mind & financial numbing headache!! I'll never be brave enough
to buy anything new unless I win 7/7 on lotto max. I think the entire auto industry is just plain nuts..
Disgusting the lot of 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El1E-tEma3M&t=493s
Old 01-23-2022, 10:46 AM

Default Alberta sale of goods act

is this still in force?
if so then sections 16 (2) goods must be reasonably fit for the purpose

sections 34 (2) examination of goods by buyer. yiu had it a very short period of time and milage before major problems

section 35 (c) time for accepting goods

section 52 and section 53 damages are at least 8 grand difference

special damage yiu are scared to drive it and extra costs for towing and stuff

make sure if YOUR LAWYER AGREES to tell the dealership you wish them to take the vehicle back and pay you back what you paid and go away

OTHERWISE you will have to claim a lot more in PROVINCIAL COURT
id]f you call it small c,aims it seems to minimize your threat to go to court

give him one day to accept and get the check ready

ARE YOU ENTITLE IN LAW AND THE COURT STO. ORE. YES
why try to get every penny as it will cost you 6 grand and your time to get the extra 5 grand comprendy

I would take your call to chat as you seem reasonable but I don’t want the liability as if I AM NOT IN THE ROOM TO GUIDE YOU OR BE A WITNESS things can go wrong and then you may wish to blame me

My references are on AO

1. the VW in west Edmonton the guy wanted to return with the big sign someone here knows him as I helped that day

2. the guy with the vehicle rental place that told his daughter the vehicle was written off he settled for a lot BUT DID NOT PUSH IT TOO FAR,

this enabled both of them to get out of a really bad situation without spending time and money in the courts

you can win but get your money back and get out

MAKE SURE TO FIRMLY BUT GENTLY remind the dealership you will go as far as need be to get your money
you don’t care if the dealership wants to be a bully, you will win

a major ouch sShe and they have control over the car you get, you do not

not your fault you got a lemon, let them resell it not your problem

LASTLY
if you sign a settlement you MAY have a way out, it is called foisting and we can deal with that later, thought to prove but not insurmountable

take care and be firm

Cement Bench right most of the time
Old 01-23-2022, 10:48 AM

your success will depend on 2 things

your attitude to be approachable and

dealer is a jerk or not

if they don’t want to settle then you cannot

if they want to settle then be reasonable and GET YO MONEY OUT

have fun and REMAIN CALM BUT FIRM
(something I do not have the ability to do from time to time)
Old 01-23-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Actually, I think he only needs to be compensated for anything that his warranty outlines as covered. I’m quite sure that tows are covered under new car warranty, but sadly taxi rides, loaner cars or rentals probably aren’t. To be honest, I’m just guessing as I haven’t read the fine print on any of my warranties for years.

Other than that, I 100% agree with this post. If there are issues going forward though, the dealer should be bending over backwards to help the guy and try to salvage the relationship. However, they may have already written him off as a loss and will invest the very minimum into satisfying him at this point. Sadly, I’m worried that’s where the situation is going.

I think the OP should calm right down before his meeting tomorrow and be nothing but sunshine and lollipops. He has to refrain from screaming at them at all costs. Try to find a way forward, and temper expectations. It sucks, but if the relations manager sees him as perfectly reasonable he may finally gain an ally. To be honest, he needs all the help he can get at this point. Then as soon as things are resolved and he can cut relations with them; let them know how you feel about the treatment.
Depending on the manufacturer, and the specific warranty plan, some definitely cover a replacement vehicle if the vehicle is in the shop overnight.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 01-23-2022 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:

This is the frustrating part. The first time it went in I would not take it until they did something so they said they changed the brake switch which I suggested. The second time it went in they called after one day to say they don’t know what’s wrong with it. I suggested they consider changing the starter because it won’t throw a code, flat out no was given. Now it’s been there for two weeks and BBB sent them the complaint. Since I suggested the starter they got Chrysler engineering involved and they don’t know what’s wrong with it either. Now they want to change the starter but not for another week. At this point it’s a new vehicle if they put a starter in it then their problem goes away but it’s still not fixed, pretty sure engineering has considered the starter and omitted that. Now after a few months and then it happens again it is no longer a new vehicle and I am screwed. I have not yelled or screamed at anyone and have bluntly described my situation to them several times. They know that the starter change with me taking it makes every issue go away but still have a jeep that will leave me stranded. Pretty stressed about it all.

Last edited by Jims83cj5; 01-23-2022 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd848 View Post
ken you are very correct , get things done and over with .then do as you please, but they got deep pockets and lawyers lined up all day long.

I hope all goes well jim and you get out of this mess . What was the mrsp on this vehicle before anything .

All the best
jd
58,900 + 1400 for hitch and wiring
Old 01-23-2022, 11:39 AM

I hope things go your way on Monday and you can finally relax, this stuff is stressful and I wish you all the best.

TAKE CARE
JD
Old 01-23-2022, 11:53 AM

Have they said that they could duplicate the issue yet? Intermittent anything isn't alway easy. Broken is easier to fix then Intermittent.

I agree they should be doing more, I would have been playing parts swap with a different vehicle if possible. But doesn't help if it starts 98 times out of 100. Frustrating for all involved.

Longest I had a vehicle with intermittent issues was 2007 Mustang with battery going dead. Never get to duplicate in shop originally, did throw a suspect module that have seen on vehicles cause problems. Be fine for a couple of weeks then do it again. Customer finally left it with us to fix. I think it was close to 3 weeks of daily road test, probably did 2 or 3 times a day before it had a draw. I was really excited when that happened. Ended up being a front speaker amp that didn't power down.

New vehicles are worse for intermittent electrical issues, so many things that may cause problems. Things that aren't even related to circuit of system will do it.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:26 PM

Very easy to tell if it's the starter. Push the start button, that powers up all the modules. At the battery junction box is the starter relay, jump that and the starter should crank and the engine will start. That's how I got my problem truck into the shop to continue diag. The techs at courtesy aren't being very forward thinking or they are being told not to touch it.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
This is the frustrating part. The first time it went in I would not take it until they did something so they said they changed the brake switch which I suggested. The second time it went in they called after one day to say they don’t know what’s wrong with it. I suggested they consider changing the starter because it won’t throw a code, flat out no was given. Now it’s been there for two weeks and BBB sent them the complaint. Since I suggested the starter they got Chrysler engineering involved and they don’t know what’s wrong with it either. Now they want to change the starter but not for another week. At this point it’s a new vehicle if they put a starter in it then their problem goes away but it’s still not fixed, pretty sure engineering has considered the starter and omitted that. Now after a few months and then it happens again it is no longer a new vehicle and I am screwed. I have not yelled or screamed at anyone and have bluntly described my situation to them several times. They know that the starter change with me taking it makes every issue go away but still have a jeep that will leave me stranded. Pretty stressed about it all.
I thought they had replaced the starter in this last week of misery. They want you to wait another week!!?!?? They aren’t winning any hearts or minds that’s for sure.

Good luck tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Have they said that they could duplicate the issue yet? Intermittent anything isn't alway easy. Broken is easier to fix then Intermittent.

I agree they should be doing more, I would have been playing parts swap with a different vehicle if possible. But doesn't help if it starts 98 times out of 100. Frustrating for all involved.

Longest I had a vehicle with intermittent issues was 2007 Mustang with battery going dead. Never get to duplicate in shop originally, did throw a suspect module that have seen on vehicles cause problems. Be fine for a couple of weeks then do it again. Customer finally left it with us to fix. I think it was close to 3 weeks of daily road test, probably did 2 or 3 times a day before it had a draw. I was really excited when that happened. Ended up being a front speaker amp that didn't power down.

New vehicles are worse for intermittent electrical issues, so many things that may cause problems. Things that aren't even related to circuit of system will do it.
No they can,t duplicate the problem, I think irs a cold thing, all five times it was below -27, and they won’t swap parts which I understand.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:
No they can,t duplicate the problem, I think irs a cold thing, all five times it was below -27, and they won’t swap parts which I understand.
Cold weather is a b*tch. Lots of weird electrical problems can occur. It could be multiple things causing it. Pin fit in a connection will change in cold weather with the extremely fine wires and pins used now.

My commuter vehicle is 2012 Ford Fusion. Below -30 my radio has always lost its memory. Voltage drops below what module wants. This year it stopped all together, no radio. Don't drive it for the weekend, Monday morning temps warm up but it killed the battery and have to boost. Radio works and still on time which is really strange. No issues with starting or radio again until cold snap again. Same thing again. I scan for codes and typical battery voltage as to be expected. But the module for radio lost it programming from factory for a code. Have to program it but Ford has been having issues with there side of things as usual. I'm thinking I will have to take apart and unplug connections, program to fix. Don't want to break plastic so it will wait. These are the crappy things to chase, no part would actually fix it, but me unplugging a connection would.

If yours is temperature related, which it sounds is possible then that is really difficult.

The worst part of fixing an intermittent problem is proving that it's fixed. We may not see temps like that again for awhile. Is it fixed or not???

Your dealer not swapping parts is a tough call. I wouldn't put new out of box, but I would take off new inventory if I could. Usually what we do at work. Of course there isn't inventory anymore so that complicates things.

This could even be a module problem, programming issue that doesn't recognize something. Wouldn't be the first time, they could have certain production dates that are affected. Some connection that factory messed up, so many things.

Bad situation for you and dealer if temperature related, they can't duplicate to fix and you don't trust vehicle. Hard fix.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:42 AM

Good luck today....
Old 01-24-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
Good luck today....
Thx
Old 01-24-2022, 08:37 AM

Good luck, in ,my career as an electrician, I dealt with intermittent electronics issues in complex control circuits several times, and they are by far the toughest to detect and resolve. Worst of all, it can take a long time to even know if the issue is gone, so you may not trust the equipment for a long time.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:10 AM

Default Jeep

Good luck today, I am hoping you come out satisfied. And can leave all the rest far behind you.
Just be very aware, these guys are crooked snakes, that have had a while to come up with a plan, that they will spring on you, and try to force a quick decision on your part.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:16 AM

Default Courtesy vehicles - beware

Just for awareness when accepting courtesy vehicles from a dealership:

In order to keep their costs down, dealerships often have very high deductibles on their courtesy vehicle insurance. I was once offered a courtesy vehicle from a Honda dealership when they could not find my key after a regular service. When reading the fine print on the piece of paper they wanted me to sign I was stunned to see the deductible on the courtesy vehicle was $10,000. So I'm on the hook for the first $10k should I have an accident in their courtesy vehicle.

I told them no thanks and after a bit of "dialog" they sent me home in a cab.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post

In order to keep their costs down, dealerships often have very high deductibles on their courtesy vehicle insurance. I was once offered a courtesy vehicle from a Honda dealership when they could not find my key after a regular service. When reading the fine print on the piece of paper they wanted me to sign I was stunned to see the deductible on the courtesy vehicle was $10,000. So I'm on the hook for the first $10k should I have an accident in their courtesy vehicle.

That’s insane!
They can call me a cab too.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post

Check with your own insurance company. Likely you have coverage in Canada and the US for rental cars including loaners.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin