Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-04-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4l3k View Post
you should be careful posting videos of you guys driving in streams and creeks if on crown land

as it is 100% illegal in Alberta and you are incriminating self to get charged by fish and wildlife/ESRD!

I would never post a video online messing up a creekbed for public viewing on here as people will report you to Alberta Environment! your license plates are clearly visible on the video will take them about 5 minutes to find you and charge you!

It is up to a $25000 fine and they don't mess around with this kinda stuff

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ders-1.3176883
Good thing I live in Ontario
Old 04-04-2016, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodieross View Post
good thing you were taking a direct route on a trail too.

there's always one
Old 04-04-2016, 03:06 PM

Braver than I am. In that situation I prefer to watch and hold the beer! This is a good learning experience for all involved!
Old 04-04-2016, 03:15 PM

Sooo.... How did the group decide who would go first?
Old 04-04-2016, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Sooo.... How did the group decide who would go first?
Hey, unspoken rule. It's always the one with the highest IQ.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
Hey, unspoken rule. It's always the one with the highest IQ.
That would account for all these scars adorning my body....
Old 04-04-2016, 03:32 PM

Martinnordeg- I think they are identical twins !!! Apparently it's ALL good in Ontario. I thought they did away with spring bear season. Maybe not.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
Martinnordeg- I think they are identical twins !!! Apparently it's ALL good in Ontario. I thought they did away with spring bear season. Maybe not.

They did away with it, and then just recently brought it back.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:33 PM

To be honest I don't think anyone else was going to try to cross, but I had been across there before with less flow and my thinking at the time was I will cross without gear and see how bad it is before we decide if we should try with everything...and once I was committed I just said screw it and pounded the throttle
Old 04-04-2016, 04:46 PM

Did the quad start afterwards?
Old 04-04-2016, 04:57 PM

Subscribed to your channel!
Old 04-04-2016, 05:07 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Hey guys, we got out this weekend to do our first round of baiting and hang stands. All our sites are set and there is a video of that. Also, I sunk my quad in a creek, so there is a video of that action if you would like to take a look.
Bear Baiting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHx9aCU1Has
Sunken Quad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2v2tkj9S_4
i guess im not as judgmental as everyone else here, good video gave me some good ideas for this years bait station.

With those barrels do you just have a big hole in the top so the bear can get it arm in? What about the side do you add any other holes?

those types of barrels i can get dirt cheap and would be alot better on my pocket book then the screw top or removable top steel ones.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:43 PM

Holy JEEPERS , glad you got it out of there!
Personally speaking, I'm a dammed good swimmer, but I don't get into a boat without a PFD on, especially in the spring of the year!
Good luck, and hope you get some monsters !
Cat
Old 04-04-2016, 05:44 PM

1) Video was good.

2) Dangerous... glad no one was hurt.

3) If you did not do foolish things when you were young, throw stones to your heart's content.

4) If you did stupid things... shut up and be thankful you never took videos of it.

5) All who tell the truth, did stupid things when young that they would not do now. It's called life.

6) If you get a cranker, you earned it.

Last edited by sns2; 04-04-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Did the quad start afterwards?
We didn't try because it was full of water. I just drained all the fluids tonight and haven't started it yet.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike780 View Post
i guess im not as judgmental as everyone else here, good video gave me some good ideas for this years bait station.

With those barrels do you just have a big hole in the top so the bear can get it arm in? What about the side do you add any other holes?

those types of barrels i can get dirt cheap and would be alot better on my pocket book then the screw top or removable top steel ones.
Ya I just have a 6 inch hole on the top of the barrel to one side. I would put it right in the middle next time though, just so bait lasts a little longer. With it to one side they just roll it so it's near the ground and paw out a ton of bait and then eat.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:

Ontario likes to brag about what great leaders they are, but actually very backwards in some respect.

Grizz
Old 04-04-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Ontario likes to brag about what great leaders they are, but actually very backwards in some respect.

Grizz
That very well may be true, but it also has nothing to do with what happened in the video and what's been said in this thread so far.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Also illegal in Ontario, and not the mention other federal laws against driving ATVs in waterways under fishery act

Hopefully law enforcement doesn't ruin your day as they are all hurting for 'revenue'
Old 04-04-2016, 08:11 PM

I didn't view that as guys purposely messing around in a stream trying to make a mess.
Good luck
Old 04-04-2016, 08:13 PM
Banned

I think that you would have made it if you had taken a run at it.

People out here have no understanding of what Canadian Shield is and will immediately imagine you destroying the environment with a water crossing on an ATV. They'd go nuts if they ever saw a gravel road leading straight into a creek and out the other side.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4l3k View Post
Also illegal in Ontario, and not the mention other federal laws against driving ATVs in waterways under fishery act

Hopefully law enforcement doesn't ruin your day as they are all hurting for 'revenue'
You are wrong again. The laws do permit crossing creeks on actual trails, They are on a trail
Old 04-04-2016, 08:24 PM

Bush league.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:26 PM
Banned

Serious adventure
Old 04-04-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

People out here have no understanding of what Canadian Shield is and will immediately imagine you destroying the environment with a water crossing on an ATV. They'd go nuts if they ever saw a gravel road leading straight into a creek and out the other side.
Exactly, I know of one in sask where the bridge went out about 20yrs ago, now you cross the creek. Is what it is!
WDF
Old 04-04-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

My family owns a cabin in Northern Ontario and for thirty years the only way in was through the river. Quads, trucks, motorcycles you name it. Start in headed upstream and catch the gravel bar in the middle so you could line up again to hit the road out of the river. The only other way in was through a deeper crossing on a different branch of the river without a bar in the middle. That crossing is still in use today but since a road was built from a different direction it's not a preferred route. The game warden used the same crossing to check us out when he felt brave enough.

That river could make our lives miserable, nothing quite like laying in your bunk listening to the rain knowing the river was rising with every rain drop.

There were many other creek crossings along the way where the bridges had washed out. There used to be cribbing from the bridge left behind by the loggers out on that gravel bar but it finally washed away.

On the way in you could also stop at the old copper mine and see the open shafts, steel scattered everywhere and maybe shoot a duck in the tailings pond. They basically closed the gate on that mine and walked away.

While moose hunting through the hardwoods you'd find the remains of old cabins littered with debris from when they logged with horses. You'd also find old ruts many feet deep in the hills caused by skidders.

The whole point of my very long winded post is that guys freaking out about crossing a creek on a quad following a road is silly. Look to the industrial side of things if you want to point fingers at someone causing true harm.

Good luck on your bear hunt! There's going to be some huge bears shot this year.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:20 PM

Why didn't you go left where the water was shallower ? No bridge there ? Shallow fast water is always better than deep, slow water. Plus you would have had more margin against getting swept over the drop off to the right ?

Was there ice under the water like on the shore ?

Hint. You always aim upstream when entering flowing water. Go in at a 45 degree angle. Never try to go straight across. Aim in at 45 degrees before you go in, don't try to aim once you get into the water by then it is too late. It is easy to turn downstream but hard to turn upstream, especially going into the water because it is flowing faster and deeper on the front tires than the back.

FWIW, I've broken through ice 3x in my life but never had to swim. You can never be too careful around water and ice in the winter.

What was over the drop off ? A little plunge pool ? With a sweeper tree to catch you and hold you under ?

Good on your buddies to recognize you could get hypothermic and get you warmed up.

Your quads would be way better in those conditions if you had studded tires. A snorkel and raised breather tube would have helped too.

Have fun, but stay safe.

Last edited by AlbertaBoy1; 04-04-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaBoy1 View Post
Why didn't you go left where the water was shallower ? No bridge there ? Shallow fast water is always better than deep, slow water. Plus you would have had more margin against getting swept over the drop off to the right ?

Was there ice under the water like on the shore ?

Hint. You always aim upstream when entering flowing water. Go in at a 45 degree angle. Never try to go straight across. Aim in at 45 degrees before you go in, don't try to aim once you get into the water by then it is too late. It is easy to turn downstream but hard to turn upstream, especially going into the water because it is flowing faster and deeper on the front tires than the back.

FWIW, I've broken through ice 3x in my life but never had to swim. You can never be too careful around water and ice in the winter.

What was over the drop off ? A little plunge pool ? With a sweeper tree to catch you and hold you under ?

Good on your buddies to recognize you could get hypothermic and get you warmed up.

Your quads would be way better in those conditions if you had studded tires. A snorkel and raised breather tube would have helped too.

Have fun, but stay safe.
I am on my phone but to the left I see big boulders and beyond those I can't make out the depth, with 4 guys there I'm sure they chose what they thought to be the best route. I'll have to check it out on the big screen.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:25 PM

I agree, great video and good luck
Old 04-04-2016, 10:37 PM

The rope saved him.

In this situation, not only do you have to worry about you and the quad getting washed away, you also have to worry about ending up under the quad and getting pinned under water.

Note that he goes straight across. He never points into the current. It looks like he is 2 feet from the rocks on the left when the quad washes away.

I would have went to the left of the rocks, but maybe that wasn't possible. Hard to tell without being there.

Interesting case study on river crossings. Easy to analyze in retrospect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quad drowning1.jpg (67.5 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg quad drowning2.jpg (70.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg quad drowning3.jpg (61.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg quad drowning4.jpg (64.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg quad drowning5.jpg (65.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg quad drowning6.jpg (68.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg quad drowning7.jpg (55.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg quad drowning8.jpg (39.3 KB, 69 views)

Tags
atv, bearbaiting, bearhunting, hunting, spring