Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2013, 12:23 PM

Default ATV's - Which Brand is the Best?

I am looking at purchasing a used ATV, problem is i havent sat my azz on one in 20 years and haven't paid very close attention to how the brands stack up. I will be using for trail riding only, most likely in the mountains. I have heard that Honda is the way to go then I've heard that Can-Am is the machine to have. Just wondering everyones thoughts.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:29 PM

They are all good. I had a 2006 Yamaha 450, great machine. Got a 2012 Polaris 500, so far so good. Just stay away from ones with huge tires and snorkels.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:34 PM

They all have pros and cons

I like Honda because I like the reliability, and I know how to fix/maintain them so they run like they should.

My son had a Polaris and it was a fine little machine too.

Buddy swears by Yamaha.

Our Hondas have never let me down. I use mine on cutlines, dragging out game, dragging out my ice fishing stuff, a little trail riding and I rarely use 4th or 5th gear.

I know nothing of mudding or racing them.

I have a trx420fm 2008 with 8100 km on it. No motor or tranny issues. It is still light enough that I can still manhandle it if I get stuck. The big machines are just too heavy and high up for me. The 420 is low enough i can grab the back rack, lift and slide the machine to the side, maybe 3 inches at a time. Enough to get me unstuck, or around a root on a trail or such.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 12-13-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:40 PM

They are all pretty good but I believe the Japan units(Yamaha, Honda,ect) are a bit more reliable. For me, independent suspension and diff lock are a must. After going from a standard to automatic, I will never be shifting gears again. You don't want anything with mods and rule of thumb is smaller is more reliable. Eg 450 vs 800.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:48 PM

You mentioned used....if you can manage to buy new..the 2014 Honda foreman just came out with front diff lock. Would be my first choice.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:56 PM

Now I will throw you all for a loop. I got Honda's and Polaris's too, but no more Suzuki's. At present this is my baby. Kawasaki 650 Brute Force. I love er. hehehehe.

But I recommend a Honda for you.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 12-13-2013, 01:08 PM

Default Kawasaki 750

I will put in another Kawasaki vote. I have a 2012 with the electronic power steering which is another option that is very handy. I would also recommend getting a machine with fuel injection and the independent suspension. I've had other Kawasakis and the fuel injection makes a huge difference for starting in cold weather-my old Kawa would not start in anything below -10 C, this one -30 C no problem.
On a Honda note, my dad has a 2001 Honda Foreman 400 with the electronic shift and no independent suspension with over 10000kms that will start at any temp and the only thing he has ever done is change the oil once a year. Its a slow, rough ride but absolutely fool proof and might be a nice option to get you started back into riding.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:46 PM

I have a 2001 arctic cat 400, shaft driven, reliable as the sunrise. My dad has a 2007 arctic cat 700 ,e.f.i., belt driven...don't venture off too far from camp with the 700, good chance you'll be walking back. The quality is disgusting on the new cats IMO. I'd say go Honda.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:06 PM

Had a Yamaha grizzly 700 and a Suzuki king quad 700 a couple years ago, both were fine machines for what I needed. Be very careful when buying used, go over with a fine toothed comb. I got burnt with the king quad I mentioned above, ended up being stolen. Did a lien search, registered and insured it, 3 months later the cops are at my door to repo it. Had been stolen two years before from Calgary. Nothing came up on the lien, registration, or insurance when I bought it. Nicest little old man I ever met dooped me, make sure when filling out bill of sale to get id... I tend to learn lessons the hard way, this one cost me 6500 bucks plus having to watch my son cry as the police drove away with our toy. The cop told me the sad thing is if I wouldn't have registered it never would have flagged. It can take up to half a year for the two computer systems to hit on one another.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:35 PM

Run, don't walk away from a used quad "deal"
Unless:
1. You have been on a first name basis with the seller for a long time.
2. You store a rabbits foot deep up yer posterior....

You can't go wrong with Honda, and my (stolen) Kawi360 was a very capable ride too. If you are interested in transportation, the sub 500 class will do everything you need, if you plan to ride with "bush racers" - there's no replacement for displacement!

Good luck even finding a used 350/420 Honda, the type of folks who have these great utility quads never sell.

Good luck, G.

It's never been about the Earth. It's always been about power. Limit the resources, decree that limited resources must be state controlled - power.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:39 PM

Pretty hard to go wrong with any of the big names these days. Everyone is going to have their favourite, and you'll probably read horror stories about each and every one of them online.

I've got a 2005 Arctic Cat 500 Auto and I love it. Wife gave me the go ahead this past summer to go new quad shopping but after looking around at what's available, I ended up just sticking with my trusty AC for at least another year, maybe longer. Hard to fault something that hasn't ever left me stranded, not once. Awesome ground clearance, plenty of power but not obscenely overkill either. My only con is what makes it a good machine for me, that's the overall size of it. It's a big machine for a 500, no way you'll be manhandling it around too much, especially by yourself. My buddy can squeeze between standing trees that I can't, but then again the clearance allows me to get over fallen stuff he has to lift over. Trade off. Mechanically zero issues, has a Suzuki power plant as all older AC's with 500+ engines did. I'm told this isn't the case now, which makes me leery of buying a newer one.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:43 PM

We have always had Yamaha...Big Bear 350, Kodiak 400, Kodiak 450....never had any issues other than electrical, usually due to how the dealership or factory rigged the electrical so close to the exhaust it messed with the winch controls until we repair/rerouted it...

I'll stick with Yamaha. My big thing about a quad is it needs to have a pull start...if you get 30 miles back and can't start your quad because the battery is toast....the pull start can and will be a life saver!

LC
Old 12-13-2013, 03:39 PM

I have a Yamaha grizzly 700, it's great I would recommend it to anyone
Old 12-13-2013, 03:52 PM

Personally I'd stick with Yamaha as I've had great luck with them, but Honda makes a great quad too. Pull start saved me once when my son left the key on and we had a dead battery. I'm a little leary on Can-am as too many of my friends have issues with theirs as stock machines.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:03 PM

Just like generators. Buy honda or yamaha.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Banned

There is no right answer to your question. I'm running grizzlies right now, had Hondas, and cats. They've all had problems at one time or another, that's what happens when you ride them. There are lemons made by all manufacturers, best thing is to google search whichever one your looking at to see if they're known to have chronic problems.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:03 PM

They are all great, but the best ones are North American made and those that you get a great deal on!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Banned

It's like asking what kind of truck.

Myself I have always had good luck with suzuki's.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:13 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it. Helped make up my mind...no one said Can-Am!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalBornKilla View Post
Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it. Helped make up my mind...no one said Can-Am!
That's because Can-Am is made in Mexico. Nuff said.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 12-13-2013, 05:26 PM

nothing wrong with my Can Am
Old 12-13-2013, 06:25 PM

That's because the Can am guys are still pulling everyone else out of the bush. I'm still riding mine in all this snow only because we don't have a sled. Haven't got stuck or broke down yet although had to pull a Prowler and a Brute force home off the trapline so far this year.
Can't go wrong with Yamaha or Honda either. They have been great machines. Just make sure you get power steering.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:56 PM

Honda, Yamaha.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:01 PM

Suzuki king quad
Old 12-13-2013, 07:24 PM

Default which quad??

I have a Honda and a Can-Am. Both have been good machines. The Honda's fit and finish is better. Water proof connectors, wiring tucked away. Tough.
Great machine for trails and work.
The Can am is way faster, rides better. Maintenance is easier on Honda. The belt drive machines will out perform machines that change gears, especially in deep snow.
If you ride tight trails or use the quad more for work I would pick Honda. If you like to push the throttle, like speed and mud bogging go with Can am.

They are all fun. I ranch and they are the best investment I have made!!
Old 12-13-2013, 08:11 PM

Don't get stuck one brand. If buying from any of the name brands they all will treat you well as long as they have been properly maintained and cared for. If you are interested I have a 2007 grizzly 700 that I'm selling. It's in great shape and only selling it because I'm upgrading to a side by side as it will be better suited for acreage/hunting because we are moving to an acreage next year.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965BB View Post
I have a Honda and a Can-Am. Both have been good machines. The Honda's fit and finish is better. Water proof connectors, wiring tucked away. Tough.
Great machine for trails and work.
The Can am is way faster, rides better. Maintenance is easier on Honda. The belt drive machines will out perform machines that change gears, especially in deep snow.
If you ride tight trails or use the quad more for work I would pick Honda. If you like to push the throttle, like speed and mud bogging go with Can am.

They are all fun. I ranch and they are the best investment I have made!!
I agree 100% but stay away from the Rincon for a work quad. The 500 foreman would be a better choice.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:29 PM

Kawasaki KVF 750 IRS Brute Force is the ultimate all around quad, the extra long seat is great and this smooth riding, smooth running V Twin engine will get you anywhere !!
This would be my first choice......Happy Quad Shopping....Christmas present for
yourself..... NICE !
Old 12-13-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS906 View Post
Kawasaki KVF 750 IRS Brute Force is the ultimate all around quad, the extra long seat is great and this smooth riding, smooth running V Twin engine will get you anywhere !!
This would be my first choice......Happy Quad Shopping....Christmas present for
yourself..... NICE !
Are their belt systems getting any better?
Old 12-13-2013, 10:38 PM

I've bin on a lot of trails with can ams, polaris Yamaha and Honda. I ride with around 20 different people and no one I know runs Suzuki or article cat or Kawasaki. I very rarely see any of those three on the trail, must be a reason. I've been running lifted polaris's but now have a 1000 XMR canam but to soon to judge it. Nothing has disappointed me yet with what I run.

Tags
atv