Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-13-2012, 11:45 AM

Default Taking your dog with you while road hunting

Well am I going to get flamed now

My husband likes to road hunt, 71 years old, had kidney removed with cancer etc.
He likes to drive the roads. I personaly hate it but it is what it is and I usually am the driver. Now I like to take Maggie with us. Asked Fish and Wildlife about this and was told as long as "she is in the truck and not chasing game she is allowed". I than stated what the regs say.
" It is unlawful to be acompanied by a dog while big game hunting"
interpitation, as I do not trust these guys on a bad day. What are your thoughts on this. Not the road hunting part although Im sure all the cop wanna be's will be up in arms. Just the part on the dog being allowed with us in the truck, I understand that the new regs read that you must be 50 meters away from your truck to shoot big game, I read this to him with glee, Im just soooooooooooooooo nasty to the old man. Love him dearly though.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:07 PM

i guess from a legal stand point if your driving around the roads your not hunting. if your firing from a maintained road or a vehicle thats another story. but there again the dog doesnt aid in any type of "hunting" . the problem with dogs hunting is using them to track down and cull or bay prey, and thats only ok when the government says it is.

i honestly couldnt care less if a guy used a dog to track a deer a moose or whatever he feels . they do it in scandanavia and it looks like an awesome time.

if its a concern to you then, better safe than sorry. leave the dog at home rather than risk someones interpretation of the law not being like yours or your husbands.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:18 PM

No worries with what your doing, hound in truck, life is good ! If you out of the truck with the dog, make sure you have a leash or check line on her and not actively "hunting" big game...

I usually take the hound with, mornings scouting and hunting, mid day it's scatter gun time...

Happy hunting !
Old 10-13-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygirrl View Post
Well am I going to get flamed now

My husband likes to road hunt, 71 years old, had kidney removed with cancer etc.
He likes to drive the roads. I personaly hate it but it is what it is and I usually am the driver. Now I like to take Maggie with us. Asked Fish and Wildlife about this and was told as long as "she is in the truck and not chasing game she is allowed". I than stated what the regs say.
" It is unlawful to be acompanied by a dog while big game hunting"
interpitation, as I do not trust these guys on a bad day. What are your thoughts on this. Not the road hunting part although Im sure all the cop wanna be's will be up in arms. Just the part on the dog being allowed with us in the truck, I understand that the new regs read that you must be 50 meters away from your truck to shoot big game, I read this to him with glee, Im just soooooooooooooooo nasty to the old man. Love him dearly though.
50 meters from the truck to shoot? what and where are you hunting?

the law is clear of what hunting is,you meet the reguirements of the law by having a gun with you,searching for game. if when you are driving the roads hunting,with an uncased gun and roamer, it would seem that you are accompanied. the intent of the law was perhaps to prohibit having a canine assist while hunting game on foot. HOWEVER, A canine can assist you in your hunt while your in the truck,road hunting. they have superior senses can alert you to the presence of game.

are you licensed to hunt,same as your better half ? do you spot game for the old gent?
Old 10-13-2012, 01:01 PM

I used to want to take my lab big game hunting but they way he is running all over the place and wanting to chase coyotes I think he would wreck any hunt I was on. He is always ahead of me checking to see thatI am still coming and scaring away all the game in the neighborhood.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:19 PM

Humm just read the regs for myself and it seems the 50 meters is only at antelope ?
Damn, thought I could get him out walking. As far as hunting with a dog if it was allowed may be interesting but than again I think we should be able to hunt with handguns. Just different regulations everywhere.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:54 PM

you didn't answer the questions so i'll go on a bit of a tangent.

if your driving dear hubby around looking for game you are assisting in his hunt. if you are spotting game for him you are assisting in his hunt. being old and fragile he probably needs help dragging,gutting etc,that would be assisting in his hunt.

all ready established that driving around in the truck with an uncased weapon
looking for game IS hunting.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post

if your driving dear hubby around looking for game you are assisting in his hunt. if you are spotting game for him you are assisting in his hunt. being old and fragile he probably needs help dragging,gutting etc,that would be assisting in his hunt.

Really????....finally an expert on the regs....
Old 10-13-2012, 03:07 PM

court expert....LMAO
Old 10-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
court expert....LMAO
hahahaha......
Old 10-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Banned

Geez real smooth there Nait,, real smooth..

Take the dog along for a ride,, just as long as it doesn't get out and chase out game for you that you shoot or track game for you I am sure you will be safe. I extremly doubt any officer would find the harm in the family pooch being out for a ride.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:28 PM

really....so, if i leash up my hound and walk him on a cougar trail i'm not hunting?
Old 10-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
really....so, if i leash up my hound and walk him on a cougar trail i'm not hunting?
Apples/Oranges nait...get over it.....
Old 10-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Gone Hunting

I take dog in the truck and sometimes if I shoot grouse she is retrieving. I just make sure I don't have rifle in my hands when she is out.
I talked to F@W officer about it and he said it is good to go.

And don't feel bad for road hunting. Is not illegal.
I road hunt sometimes as well.

Good lack

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 10-13-2012, 03:31 PM
sheephunter

I take my dog in the truck all the time with me when I'm going to a hunting location.....nothing the slightest bit illegal about it.

If you are truly road hunting and shooting out of the truck....I suspect the dog in your truck will be the least of your worries. If not, don't worry about it.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:

Oops, I'm driving to the range with my weapon uncased and because im always looking for game be it march or nov I'm hunting?
I in no way shape or forum am ashamed to road hunt, just prefer the walk .Yup, gut, clean, skin, drag deer to truck, and yes he is dear hubby of 32 years, you forget, the hunts over once the animal is down, no I've never shot one for him and would never allow my tag on someone else's animal , yes I have my license with me at all times, geez nait hadya you would almost think you never had anyone ever to help you when you needed help. Than again........
Old 10-13-2012, 04:50 PM

flygirrl meet Nait.
He's been asked to answer questions repeatedly w/o any success. He's now enjoying sticking it to another forum user.
Actually, for a while I thought he had turned a 180. But maybe not.
There is still hope.
Some ppl use the ignore feature for afew members.
Ask FishinMom how it works.

Tell your husband not to shoot from a vehicle unless he obtains a permit.
Take the dog for a drive, they like to get out and see different country as well.
I think a co will have to be having a pretty crappy day to give a ticket for having the dog in a truck.
My rifle is never in a case and has the scars to prove it.
As far as I know, I am not in violation of anything. Maybe there is something in this years regs that I missed.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 10-13-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
help dragging,gutting etc,that would be assisting in his hunt.
Are you sure about this one? my dad does not hunt anymore but has sure helped me throw a deer in the back of a truck before. Old farmer I got permission from uses his loader to help me quarter out an animal.

I hope your not right or I have been breaking the law. With some of the dumb things F&W have been doing lately this will probably be the next thing they lay charges for.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygirrl View Post
.... Asked Fish and Wildlife about this and was told as long as "she is in the truck and not chasing game she is......
please provide the name of this fish and wildlife person.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:43 PM

Default Say what?

Quote:
flygirrl, don't do it! Please!

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 10-13-2012, 07:00 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I've had the legalities of being accompanied by dogs explained to me by the head of enforcement....in writing I'm pretty confident in what I'm saying.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
Are you sure about this one? my dad does not hunt anymore but has sure helped me throw a deer in the back of a truck before. Old farmer I got permission from uses his loader to help me quarter out an animal.

I hope your not right or I have been breaking the law. With some of the dumb things F&W have been doing lately this will probably be the next thing they lay charges for.
I wouldn't worry about it if your tag is on the animal the hunt is over IMO. Dunno if the judge would see it that way but I HIGHLY doubt you'd get any trouble from even the crankiest F&W officer over someone help you pack your game out.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
flygirrl, don't do it! Please!
He can do his own research same as I did.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lol at the begining of this thread I concidered making the post "Nate, shut your mouth you're losing friends." I now realise that that would have been a rather inacurate statement.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:16 PM

LMAO.....so me and the hound are bootin it down the trunk road,it's bear season. he has been trained to hunt bear, has his noggin out the window as we cruise on. he smells bear,he alerts me. i stop,look for tracks and pursue or drive up the road and wait for mr bear to reappear.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:20 AM

They can't say anything unless they have watched you track the animal with your dog, So if he's not there when ur tracking you should be fine,

Last edited by ice; 10-14-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:33 AM

Nait you are arguing some stupid random scenario just to be heard. Shut up and let people give this woman real advice. Man you need some teeth straightened.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:33 AM

oh, so it's ok to use a canine to locate game as long as he's in the truck,because an expert says that's not hunting. right....
Old 10-14-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
First off If im not mistaken and I might be thought hounds were legal for cougar hunting....... so nothing wrong with that if they are allowed.

Quote:
LMAO.....so me and the hound are bootin it down the trunk road,it's bear season. he has been trained to hunt bear, has his noggin out the window as we cruise on. he smells bear,he alerts me. i stop,look for tracks and pursue or drive up the road and wait for mr bear to reappear.
If this is the way you think you can hunt maybe you should get off the internet and go out into the real world and enjoy some time learning how things actually work. I know the hunter handbook tells us that if the bear crossed the road once it will cross it again with in a couple hundred yards so that is the best place to park the truck and wait in ambush on them........ good god get a life
Old 10-14-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
They can't say anything unless they have watched you track the animal with your dog,(no weapon) So if he's not there when ur tracking you should be fine,
a hound locating a track by scent is hunting,in it's purest form. senerio ..as we drive along he's looking for bear with his nose, im looking for bear with my eyes,guns in the truck,bullets and tags in my pocket....why does that not meet the definition of hunting and accompanied by,or does it.