Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2012, 09:36 PM

Default Any Stucco people out there

Looking for advice from someone who knows a bit more than me about stucco.

My exterior walls are only 9 months old, and im noticing cracking. The crack is only about 1/2 cm wide, however it is nearly 40 inches long, running up and down.

Not sure if its normal, but its an eyesore, and I'm slightly ****ed at my builder for it. Placed a service call today.

They applied the stucco in november last year without hoarding or heat, and it froze the week they applied it (within 48 hours). My concern is due to the initial freezing my exterior walls are all going to crack, and I'm going to be left with a huge mess.

I took a light to my walls as well, and they look similar to a mogul hill at norquay.

--

We requested the stucco company come back and do touch ups, and they gave my fiance attitude. I talked to my warranty official from my builder, who said he would get a trades day for the stucco guys to come in and he would ensure it got done, and they no showed.

The same crew is doing the two houses across the street from me this week.

I am thinking of approaching the boss tomorrow while they are mudding, and call him on disrespecting my fiance, and not finishing his work / touch ups.

--

Thoughts?
Old 10-12-2012, 09:56 PM

Keep it going through the builder as long as you can. As a business owner in the residential construction industry, I can confidently say some of my peers have the personality of a rotten potato. Some of them put this up as a front because they only want to deal with a site super, and not every homeowner.

Keep the discussion with the builder, and twist his arm until he twists the stucco guy's arm. That's what you paid him for, and don't let him forget it.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:20 PM

I doubt it is cracking because of the cold. If the wall is over 144 sq ft without an expansion joint in it that would be against code make sure your builder knows you know that.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
I doubt it is cracking because of the cold. If the wall is over 144 sq ft without an expansion joint in it that would be against code make sure your builder knows you know that.
a joint in the stucco??? Sorry I'm a complete noob when it comes to contruction stuff.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
X2