Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 09:45 AM

This is unbelievably sad. I have 2 Children and I cannot begin to imagine what her Family is going through. They will now live the rest of their lives with "What ifs" but nothing will bring her back.

Bullying has been around forever and always will be. The difference between now and 15 or more years ago is that there are more tools for Bullies to use. The kids too cowardly to be a Bully in the regular sense, can now be bullies from a keyboard or a cellphone. The pack mentallity of teenagers can be ruthless. These days, it's even worse because the bullying can range much farther and faster due to today's technology. A Bully can snap a pic with a cellphone in a locker room and email it to 1000 kids in 2 seconds. Rumours can be spread farther than faster as well.

I think that the kids of today have it worse than they ever did. There are more drugs, diseases and ways of getting in trouble than there ever were. I think the number is around 50% as well, of kids growing up in homes involving Divorce.

Who knows if anything will happen to the kids who pushed her to her own demise. I doubt it.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:47 AM

I dealt with lots of bullying when I was a kid/teenager, I guess you could call it bullying.

First it was kids who didn't like my 1/2 breed friends and the way we talked. Then it was city kids who didn't like my mukluks. I learned to how to fight when I was outnumbered. F 'em. I have no use for excuse-makers or touchy feely crap. Somebody bullies you - make his eyes water. It'll stop. If not, repeat as necessary. Bruises will heal. Backing up is habit-forming. I got some peace after a scrap, sometimes for a long time.

This is a nasty story. I don't just wonder where the parents were; I wonder where everybody was.

There's way too much looking for "them" to fix what's wrong.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Banned

How many other little Amanda's are sitting in school today thinking that suicide will be the best way to escape this bullying problem?

How many other little Amanda's will commit a copycat suicide in the next couple of weeks?

A very sad situation. A by product of a liberal society.

Rest in Peace young lady.

Watch your children and talk to them...they are too valuble to lose.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
A by product of a liberal society.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
I dealt with lots of bullying when I was a kid/teenager, I guess you could call it bullying.

First it was kids who didn't like my 1/2 breed friends and the way we talked. Then it was city kids who didn't like my mukluks. I learned to how to fight when I was outnumbered. F 'em. I have no use for excuse-makers or touchy feely crap. Somebody bullies you - make his eyes water. It'll stop. If not, repeat as necessary. Bruises will heal. Backing up is habit-forming. I got some peace after a scrap, sometimes for a long time.

This is a nasty story. I don't just wonder where the parents were; I wonder where everybody was.

There's way too much looking for "them" to fix what's wrong.
Did we go to the same school in northeastern B.C.?

P.S. My 1/2 breed friends showed me how to fight when I was outnumbered.

It is amazing how cowards run when you rip the leg off a of school table to defend yourself.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:

It is amazing how cowards run when you rip the leg off a of school table to defend yourself.
Lots of bullying? Must have been a very Liberal school and community.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:00 AM

It's horrible what some kids must endure. While I don't know the whole story, I wonder where this child's parents were, if they knew and what they did, etc.. As sad as it sounds, I sometimes think that some parents are not involved as much as they should be. I believe that if my son was at this point I would know that something was up and would take whatever action I deemed necassary to help and protect him. Again, not trying to lay blame on the parents, but I do believe that some are just not there for their kids. Sad situation for sure.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
How many other little Amanda's are sitting in school today thinking that suicide will be the best way to escape this bullying problem?

How many other little Amanda's will commit a copycat suicide in the next couple of weeks?

A very sad situation. A by product of a liberal society.

Rest in Peace young lady.

Watch your children and talk to them...they are too valuble to lose.
I was in a very near place as Amanda when I was a kid. I was bullied, I was beat up, I fought back and it helped, for a little while. The bullying started again. This was in the 80's. There were no outlets to talk to. I thought about suicide. I thought about taking a gun to school and fixing everyone. I didn't. It would have been easy. I fought back. A few black eyes (mine and others) and it was an unsteady truce. High School was not filled with fond memories.

It wasn't a liberal society that causes bullying. Its bullies that cause bullying. I have two girls in elementary school right now. Last year there were cases of boys demanding smaller boys text them pictures of themselves nude or they would be beat up. Luckily one of the kids went to the principal. Again parents of the bullies, "not my little johnny, he wouldn't do anything" Guess what, what ever is said over text stays, regardless if you delete it.

I take an active role in raising my child and that includes what goes on in school. My wife and I attend parents council meetings to find out what is going on in the school. There are 500 kids in that school. Less than 10 parents show up for parents council. And it is the same parents every time. That is a problem.

My heart goes out to Amanda's family. Bullying has gone on for ages, but it doesn't have to be tolerated. I would do anything for my family.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
I was in a very near place as Amanda when I was a kid. I was bullied, I was beat up, I fought back and it helped, for a little while.
I was in that same place every time we moved. Biology books were best for taking care of someone who would get in a sneak attack, nice weight to them.

I was bullied by a teacher of all things, he was the vice principal to boot. Kept wanting to strap me for no reason, told him to shove it every time. He stopped calling my mother cause she would tell him the same. He didn't like my last name and family for some reason, never did get the truth.

Long story short, he got the best fighter in town to kick my arse, caught me totally off guard and it was the worst beating I ever took in my life. The next morning, the guy who whipped me was on my doorstep (I thought for round 2) but he felt terrible and apologized - he explained to me what transpired and told me the discussion between him and the teacher. I'll leave it at that...

Quote:
I take an active role in raising my child and that includes what goes on in school. My wife and I attend parents council meetings to find out what is going on in the school. There are 500 kids in that school. Less than 10 parents show up for parents council. And it is the same parents every time. That is a problem.
That's pretty sad, but (i'm sorry to say it) typical.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:45 AM

We have to remember, she seems to be a small petite little girl and does not look like a fighter. And from what I read she had no friends to back her up. It is sickening what is happening in this world. I was bullied in elementary school, then my parents put me in boxing and I beat the living shat out of every bully who tried to fight me after school. But, not everyone can do that, some are just not fighters.

I read the article and such again, where the eff were the parents? If my daughters getting beat and left in ditches, cutting, drinking bleach then obviously shes having huge issues in life or school or whatever. If I found out it was bullys I would do everything in my power to find out whos doing this even if I had to hire a private investigator. My kids are my life and I could not imagine them going through what this girl did. Although I am scared for them to grow up in this cruel world, I will do everything in my power to help them along there way.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I was in a very near place as Amanda when I was a kid. I was bullied, I was beat up, I fought back and it helped, for a little while. The bullying started again. This was in the 80's. There were no outlets to talk to. I thought about suicide. I thought about taking a gun to school and fixing everyone. I didn't. It would have been easy. I fought back. A few black eyes (mine and others) and it was an unsteady truce. High School was not filled with fond memories.
Same boat as you sir. Exept it was 1992.
2 of my bullies are in prison on murder charges and will be there for the rest of their lives.

I have been dealing with my son being bullied in school and flat out told the principal that if they don't deal with it, he has my blessing to beat the snot out of the bully. This new school takes it more seriously, than our school last year. Might be cause its more of an inner city, or maybe just a better set of teachers.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:52 AM

This whole thing leaves a lump in my throat . Very sad and disgusting that a young person feels they are worthless and takes there own life , because some coward ass eloh punk kids making fun of her making fun of them .

I feel angry about this . You know damn well that shes been made fun of , and like the ones making fun of her but no one could of asked her if she needed something , or offered her some support , Now they are all sad about her killing herself . I hope those people feel like crap that made fun of her .

Sad Sad Sad .

Sorry no one could reach out to you Amanda RIP .
Old 10-12-2012, 10:59 AM

They need to find this clown who posted those pictures all over and pretty much blackmailed her into doing things...he pretty much started it all...
Old 10-12-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:

Northern Manitoba.

SOS, though. Yeah, bullies are real brave with their friends when they think you'll give in, but mostly fill their shorts when you don't.

Folks need to step up for each other. The usual liberal crap about how much they care and how they are darn well going to pass some new laws to help these victims and make sure it never happens again makes me gag. We don't need any more laws. We just need to know that if we look out for each other we aren't going to be prosecuted by some know-nothing, thin-lipped, squinty-eyed, brainless LE system. We need to trust each other to do the right thing, expect the right thing and leave it alone when it happens.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:40 AM

sadly NO ONE care enough, until it's TOO late. there are bullying going on every second in school/ and online it's worst cause with social media they will get harass 24/7 . i saw some first hand you think the boys are bad the girls are no princess it's worst when it come to same gender bullying. as for parent they should look out for sign of their child having suicidal or emotional issue cause i have seen kid's with scars across their wrist .

also remember all those school and campus shooting ? guess what cause them to do it......
Old 10-12-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .308 View Post
We have to remember, she seems to be a small petite little girl and does not look like a fighter.
If I carry a concealed pistol, you will be safer even if you don't. The bullying thing will work the same way. If a bully knows he is liable to be hurt - on the spot - if he is caught bullying someone, he's going to be considering his options much more carefully. As it should be.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:03 PM

Very sad I belive the parents were there but probably did not know how to deal with or were not allowed to deal with it. Amanda switched schools and maybe could not bring herself to talk about it.

Lets face it... would you be able to tell your parents what was going on in this situation and not face some repercussions.

these kids lock themselves in and others out and without help they do not know how to reach out or communicate. Then after the fact people see all the "cries for help" that they mis interpreted at the time.

This is not physical bullying but strong mental bullying using technology we did not have when we were in school. You can take a picture and post it in internet in seconds and is read and re-posted by thousands within minutes.

I was bullied of course as many are and I remember having to literally run home from school many days. Of course I was the smallest in the class and while I could fight and was taught how to I was not allowed to. I got in trouble at home if I was caught fighting. So i was often between rock and hard place. Then in Grade 10 I grew to my height and all the farm work paid off and I was tough. Then I became a bully to the bullies...

There were circumstances that i was allowed to fight but that was if I come home and told my Dad the whole story and then he would give me the go-ahead.

It was funny because then I would get bullied and instead of backing down suddenly i was coming at them and the surprise alone often took care of the situation.

I still remember when I gave an uppercut that rocked someone who was almost double my size to his heels and then it triggered an epileptic seizure and the trouble I got in when I was in grade 1. Of course I delivered the uppercut with the old heavy scotch tape dispenser and after that I was no longer allowed to fight even when I thought I was defending myself.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:19 PM

As has been said here many times, bullies are cowards and run in packs, do eveything in their power to belittle others to make up for thier shortcomings. I went through it in school. Had to run down the tracks to take a leak at breaks because they would be waiting for me. I fought back and fought hard, many black eyes, bleeding noses, cuts and scrapes. Developed a rep as I got up in grades and age. Rolled up the sleeves when I had to. I'm at peace with my bullies because I had a reckoning with each and every one of them as I got older.........Whats the old saying.......Revenge is a dish better served when cold. Sadly Amanda will never realize this.

Fast forward to my kids years in school, they all had bullies they had to deal with. Told them to fight, don't back down and don't let them get the better of you............now I have grandkids to worry about. My 6 year old grandson is dealing with this right now. Same thing, fight, don't back down. Been suspended twice for sticking up for himself. A shame a 6 year old has to worry about this......confront the parents and and its the same crap............."
my son wouldn't do something like that".

Sorry about the rant...........but I detest anyone who feels they have to belittle others to make themselves feel better.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:41 PM

There is a message... but a difference.. many people tell their kids fight and don't back down...but maybe they are the one being the bully...

I was not allowed to fight so i did not go looking to start one either!...It was the ones that wanted to push the issue knowing I was not allowed to fight. I had some good friends who would also stick up for me because the whuppin I would get at hom for fighting was worse than what any other kid would do.

however once I made a case to my Dad and he felt that it was time for sticking up for myself then I was unleashed... but still had to make sure I did not start it.

I have seen bullies antagonize kids until they fight back and that is what the bully is waiting fer becuase they have been told... It is alright to fight when you have to protect yourself...

It is fine line I admit!... Now the one who walks away and still gets attacked physically then it is a whole different deal.

Il earned when young how to use humour and get along with everyone and that is probably the most important skill.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:55 PM

My son got dragged into a scuffle at school he has a little buddy that is a mouthpiece who was picking on another kid. Then the kid attacked the mouthpiece but took a lickin. then a bigger kid jumped on the mouthpiece who then called my son for reinforcement and my son got dragged into it.

After it was over I had a good talk with my son about not fighting other peoples battles.

In hjunior high there was a group of kids who took martial arts. I learned a different martial art plus was taught how to box and actually be able to take a punch. They used to pick on my brother trying to egg me into a fight. After these biys pushed my little sister off of her bike and broke her arm....Finally I got permission to protect me and my brother and the biggest kid had a fairly high level of training. Instead of backing down and away my brother stood up to him wrestled him to the ground and then proceeded to humiliate him. Put him in an arm bar and "walked the dog". I thought it would be over but then the whole group (3 of them) jumped us after school and when it was over two of them had broken arms,one also had a dislocated shoulder in addition, one had a broken nose and cheekbone. their parents tried to have my brother and I charged with assault but because there were many witnesses who could prove that we tried to walk away multiple times prior to that incident the charges were never pressed.

My Dad was pretty smart after all.

I still remember the principal telling those kids to never mistake not wanting to fight with not being able to fight.

It was so hard to walk away knowing hat I could take matters in my own hands and end it... but as my Dad explained... then everyone would want a shot at the title and eventually the title holder loses.

Once we got older the bullies dropped out...

Today the bullying is n ot physical. It is mental harassment. Some of these kids could go to work as interrogators for the CIA with the mental anguish they can inflict because thereare no boundaries, no way to turn it off. When i was young when I was at home it was a sanctuary from school... but today with mobile technology and computers we are never away from it. look at us even with our work how many times we cannot turn it off!...

That is a big part of the problem. Many of the big kids were gentle giants and protectors and so the little ones who tended to be bullies got sorted out. today physical size does not matter and these cowards enlist others to do their dirty work!...
Old 10-12-2012, 07:07 PM

Default This young girl needed some parental backup.....

I got into two "knock down ,drag out" fights with bullies in school. Got into big trouble both times. My father told me if I was in the right, then just "keep going forward". Bullies left me alone after the second "incident". I taught both my kids to do everything right and fair and if accosted or threatened by a bully, do not back up or back down as there are no rules when it comes to "discipline" for a "bully".
Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywiththemule View Post
I got into two "knock down ,drag out" fights with bullies in school. Got into big trouble both times. My father told me if I was in the right, then just "keep going forward". Bullies left me alone after the second "incident". I taught both my kids to do everything right and fair and if accosted or threatened by a bully, do not back up or back down as there are no rules when it comes to "discipline" for a "bully".
"No rules when it comes to discipline a bully"

Copyright: Guy with a Mule

Excellent statement.

May I have permission to quote you?
Old 10-12-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
"No rules when it comes to discipline a bully"

Copyright: Guy with a Mule

Excellent statement.

May I have permission to quote you?
Yes sir.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:15 PM

You know whats really sickening. I was looking at comments on the facebook page made for her and some people on there are plain sick and twisted.

They are mocking what happened, making fun of her even though shes no longer with us. Making a joke of the whole situation and STILL BULLING HER.

Makes me sick the world we live in and I hope everyone who made any type of derogatory comment on the facebook page may burn in hell.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:11 PM

Exclamation

As much as smiling at a person when you walk by them can be the difference between them going home at night hating their day, and feeling like somebody cares every time you walk by. It's sad to see this young person end up in a situation like this.

People take blame at the young girl, but I think the blame is to be put on the person who distributed that photo. Being that she would have only been 14 years old, perhaps that person should be charged with distribution of child pornography - and see how funny it becomes than.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
After it was over I had a good talk with my son about not fighting other peoples battles.
I've had a good talk with my kids about that issue, too.

My message was the opposite of yours. For reasons I don't think you'd understand. I don't want them to ever tolerate a bully, regardless whether it's them that's taking it or somebody else. What they do depends on what's going on. Turning away is not an option.

Nothing to do with mouthpieces, though - my kids don't have friends like that. Otherwise, I expect them to stand for something.

Last edited by Rocky7; 10-12-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
You know whats really sickening. I was looking at comments on the facebook page made for her and some people on there are plain sick and twisted.

They are mocking what happened, making fun of her even though shes no longer with us. Making a joke of the whole situation and STILL BULLING HER.

Makes me sick the world we live in and I hope everyone who made any type of derogatory comment on the facebook page may burn in hell.
Thats disgusting.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I was looking at comments on the facebook page ....
Got a link?
Old 10-12-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:

I saw that also I also saw the news interviewing the RCMP they are going thru this stuff before and now , I expect to see some charges laid . But you can't get caught for the things you say on the Internet .
Old 10-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Banned

Quote:

This is how I handled my bully problem.

I am coming after every ONE of you ONE at a time. You will not know when and how I am coming after you. You also know I have friends. Some of my friends are older than you.

Now that is with males.

What about girls? Use the same tactics.
Closed Thread