Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-29-2018, 08:44 PM

Default Fall maintenance

Ive only been fly fishing for about 7 years and in that time I’ve developed some good and bad habits, probably like most folks. Admitedly i dont think i spend enough time doing maintenance on my gear. Fall turns into winter much too quickly and i find that I’ve forgotten to clean my lines, clean out the camelback etc.

I’m curious if people would share that one tip they have or upkeep habit they cant do without which ensures their gear is ready to go for another year.

Cheers

Jmveness
Old 09-29-2018, 09:43 PM

I spend a day organizing everything and cleaning/lubing items as I'm putting them away, but most importantly, I make labels and notes. My memory's not so hot anymore and I find that if I don't label the types of line on my reels, which fly boxes are set up for which lakes/rivers and details like that, I'm not going to have success in sorting it all out next spring.

I finally learned to take a photo of the successful fly(s) of the day when I'm on the water, - usually a soaking wet fly displayed on my knee, and a snap of it in the fishes jaw (while in the net). Later, in my photo editing "notes/description" section for each photo, I make notes of how they were fished on what specific water. I file my photos of each fishing trip under the lake or river name, so before I return to those waters in future trips, I can quickly check to tie up the flys I've had success with there before. Off-season is when I clean up my photo albums, toss out duplicate photos and record important details while still relatively fresh in my mind, - with the goal of making them organized for quick reference in the future.

Throughout all seasons, I keep a running tab on fly tying and other materials I need in 'NOTES' on my phone, so I can efficiently fill in my needs should the opportunity arise at a fly shop .... There's no way I can remember every tungsten bead size, UV hackle colours or hook details that I'm running low on! I'm presently on the hunt for orange ostrich herl ....

Works for me!
Old 09-30-2018, 07:12 AM

Every year gear comes and goes.

In addition to the maintenance and re-organization take new photo's of your gear should you happen to lose some or heaven forbid, a B&E.

You'll be glad when your insurance guy asks "hey Mr. Victim, what all was taken" and you respond with "here it is, all photo documented"?

Figuring out your dollar loss is much easier with a photo in your hand.

Your tackle box or fishing vest can hold a lot of $$$ in terms of replacement value.

I know, as I was a victim and recalling everything in detail was horrible; I am still learning of stuff that was taken.....

My 2 cents worth.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:09 AM

That’s a great way to stay organized. Really good advice regarding photo management and record keeping. Reminds me that i need to consolidate all my fishing journals into one. Thanks for the tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I spend a day organizing everything and cleaning/lubing items as I'm putting them away, but most importantly, I make labels and notes. My memory's not so hot anymore and I find that if I don't label the types of line on my reels, which fly boxes are set up for which lakes/rivers and details like that, I'm not going to have success in sorting it all out next spring.

I finally learned to take a photo of the successful fly(s) of the day when I'm on the water, - usually a soaking wet fly displayed on my knee, and a snap of it in the fishes jaw (while in the net). Later, in my photo editing "notes/description" section for each photo, I make notes of how they were fished on what specific water. I file my photos of each fishing trip under the lake or river name, so before I return to those waters in future trips, I can quickly check to tie up the flys I've had success with there before. Off-season is when I clean up my photo albums, toss out duplicate photos and record important details while still relatively fresh in my mind, - with the goal of making them organized for quick reference in the future.

Throughout all seasons, I keep a running tab on fly tying and other materials I need in 'NOTES' on my phone, so I can efficiently fill in my needs should the opportunity arise at a fly shop .... There's no way I can remember every tungsten bead size, UV hackle colours or hook details that I'm running low on! I'm presently on the hunt for orange ostrich herl ....

Works for me!
Old 09-30-2018, 08:13 AM

Didn’t even think of that to be honest. I’d go crazy trying to put a price tag on all that gear. Not to mention the memories attached to it. And to the buggers who stole your stuff, may they lose a size 30 scud hook in their ginch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
Every year gear comes and goes.

In addition to the maintenance and re-organization take new photo's of your gear should you happen to lose some or heaven forbid, a B&E.

You'll be glad when your insurance guy asks "hey Mr. Victim, what all was taken" and you respond with "here it is, all photo documented"?

Figuring out your dollar loss is much easier with a photo in your hand.

Your tackle box or fishing vest can hold a lot of $$$ in terms of replacement value.

I know, as I was a victim and recalling everything in detail was horrible; I am still learning of stuff that was taken.....

My 2 cents worth.....
Old 09-30-2018, 02:40 PM

I usually wait until the open water season is absolutely over, then have a couple of sessions while the NFL games are on in the background (Sunday and Monday nights). I take the lines off the reels, clean them and wind them around empty coffee tins for storage, with identification re: line wt, type and the reel it was on.

Rods get a wipe down and then a polish with Pledge, and the cork handles get a good scrub with an old toothbrush and baking soda, then a warm water rinse, making sure they are DRY before going back into the rod tube.

Reels get cleaned (Q tips are good here) and lubed with sewing machine oil before storage.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:23 PM

Really solid advice. It’s clear from the answers I’ve got that I’m missing some critical elements of my game. It leaves me wondering if I’ve damaged my gear TBH.

I guess when your gear starts falling apart you know you have been missing something . So far all of my rods and reels have fared well. But I have some serious questions about my lines. I’ve noticed that my 6wt rio gold feels rough and I’m sure there must be some microabrassions and cracks. It’s 5 years old and may be time to pack it in. This summer I definitely noticed my casting wasn’t as smooth but that could be arthritis too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
I usually wait until the open water season is absolutely over, then have a couple of sessions while the NFL games are on in the background (Sunday and Monday nights). I take the lines off the reels, clean them and wind them around empty coffee tins for storage, with identification re: line wt, type and the reel it was on.

Rods get a wipe down and then a polish with Pledge, and the cork handles get a good scrub with an old toothbrush and baking soda, then a warm water rinse, making sure they are DRY before going back into the rod tube.

Reels get cleaned (Q tips are good here) and lubed with sewing machine oil before storage.