Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-22-2018, 06:36 PM

Default Red Deer River advise?

Can anyone give me any advise about fishing the Red Deer River around the city of Red Deer. I have to come to there for a couple of weeks, and would love to have something to do in the evenings. I’ll be bring my spinning and fly tackle. Thanks, might even be able to trade a fishing trip on the river for a goose hunt?
Old 07-23-2018, 05:33 PM

Lots of access and decent fishing right in red deer. Haven't been there this summer but if it is flowing fairly clear you will get the odd fish. Goldeye, sauger, rockies, walleye and pike with an outside shot at a brown. Look at the map of the city on your Google map function and go from there...there are bike and walking trails along the river. Have at er. Make sure you got your fishing license in your pocket.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:07 AM

Default Red deer river advise

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:15 AM

Check out Burbank down stream of Red Deer,,, a few kms East of Blackfalds.

Lacombe County
Lacombe County, AB

https://goo.gl/maps/kinVtDCKFrD2

The Blindman and Red Deer meet at the camp site.

Fishing from the bank works good
Old 07-24-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Can anyone give me any advise about fishing the Red Deer River around the city of Red Deer. I have to come to there for a couple of weeks, and would love to have something to do in the evenings. I’ll be bring my spinning and fly tackle. Thanks, might even be able to trade a fishing trip on the river for a goose hunt?
I grew up in Red Deer. I still fish it a couple times per year. Red Deer is where the river changes from a cold-water fishery to a cool-water fishery. i.e. upstream of Red Deer, the river becomes more 'trouty', downstream more 'pikey'.

I exclusively fly fish (I am not judgemental, just have no recent conventional fishing experience). In Red Deer, you can catch a huge breadth of species. As you go upstream, you increase the chances of catching an elusive brown. Rocky Mountain whitefish become more numerous and the goldeye less populous.

In Red Deer proper, if I were looking for an evening of almost guaranteed fish, I would probably go fly fishing for goldeye. They are almost stupidly eager and they give up a good fight for their size. A balanced leech under and indicator, or swinging a smaller (sz10) wooly bugger is an easy way to catch them. In the evenings, a sz12 caddis, ant, or beetle will regularly fool them into eating topwater. They will hit almost anything, but they have somewhat tiny mouths, so you need to downsize your flies a little if you actually want to hook them.

RDR is somewhat shallow, so the holding water for walleye and sauger becomes fairly obvious. Swinging a clouser minnow or leech pattern through these areas will pick up a few. Where there are walleye, there are usually pike nearby, so you may make a few 'donations' without bite tippet.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:59 AM

Go to the boat launch by Great Chief Park. Nice place to fly fish. Use any high floating dry fly such as a deer hair, hopper, or Humpy pattern. Or drag a bead head leech or red and white streamer through the water and you will get plenty of goldeye and the occasional pike or walleye. I will say though that the fishing has been rather slow compared to last year. Last year on any given night I could catch 10 to 20 fish easily. This year I'm lucky if I get 5. Not sure why the fishing is so different this year. Maybe because the water was so high for so long...dunno.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:41 PM

Default Red deer river advise

Thank you for the tips gentlemen. Much appreciated. A good weekend to all.