Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-17-2013, 07:13 PM

Default What Tippet to use?

What Tippet to use?

I have been fly fishing for some time now but never really thought about the meaning of the " X " in say 2X, 3X, 4X for that matter.

I have always bought a formed tapered leader used it till it was to short then put on another one. Now that I am tying my own flys and the best part is the fish are actually hitting them. Fantastic I remember the first time a fish rose to engulf my fly I pulled it away I didn't want the fish to destroy it. Of course times have changed.

My next step is to make my own furled leaders from 8ft to 12ft.

What does the " X " mean and what is the rule when using say size 8 hook?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:22 PM

All toys,

The "X" thing Is a hang over from the days of silk leaders where they were drawn through dies that sized them. The dies were designated by X's with zero X the largest and 5X the smallest.
With the invention of monofilament, silk leaders disappeared but the X designation remained.
So....
7X = 0.004" = <> 2.0 lb. strength
6X = 0.005" = <> 3.0 lb. strength
5X = 0.006= <> 4.5 lb. strength
4x = 0.007" = <> 6.0 lb. strength
3X = 0.008 = <> 8.0 lb. strength

Monofilament is able to be constructed thinner than silk and certainly much stronger.
The strength given above are approximate and will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
As far as what "X" to use for each size of fly, that becomes more difficult. I tend to use 3x for everything in lakes and 4X for stream work. 3X will turn over larger weighted flies readily. I nearly positive that what to use will set off a major debate so..
3X for size 8 and smaller
4X for size 12 and smaller
5 X for size 14 and smaller.
6 & 7X are best for tiny flies to # 28's
Of course, the flexibility of the monofilament will effect X used.
Note: manufacturers will tend to up scale the weight and reduce diameter as part of their marketing. Most monofilament will vary slightly in OD but this may only matter to those with experienced micrometers and anal temperaments.

Regards,

Don
Old 09-18-2013, 10:44 PM

I generally use 4x most of the time. I can turn over most flies well enough and it doesn't spook fish.
I'll use 3x when I'm fishing streamers exclusively or big nymphs in poor visibility. Some 2x probably wouldn't hurt when targeting big bulls.
5x when they're spooky and hopefully not too big!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:52 PM

Dons pretty much got it bang on. Pretty tough to snap 4X unless your rods pointed right at the fish, so I use that unless I get into smaller flies where the 4X starts to inhibit the action of the fly. I am speaking of lakes.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-18-2013, 10:59 PM

If the tippet is too fine for the eyelet your knot will not hold as well. Tippet to
large might not get it through the eyelet.
Divide the hook size by four for an approximation.
20 hook = 5x
16 hook = 4x
12 hook = 3x
Old 09-19-2013, 09:59 AM

Some excellent advice above on which size to choose / use.

One thing to add is to consider using a slightly weaker tippet to tie on a dropper fly. If I've got 4x going to a dry fly I will typically tie on a dropper using 5x. This is mostly so that if you snag up on something and need to break off there's a much better chance of only losing a single fly insted of both of them.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:56 PM

Thank you all this is very helpful.

I have some Chronomids tied up itching to try them from sizes 14 down to 20 I will try a size 5X Tippet for them that should work I gather. I have also switched from an improved clinch knot to either a Davies or sliding clinch knot, which I find easier to tie with my failing eye sight.

Is there any knot you gentlemen prefer to use when attaching a Tippet to the fly?
Old 09-22-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltoys View Post
Is there any knot you gentlemen prefer to use when attaching a Tippet to the fly?
I use an Orvis knot, strong and fairly easy to tie.
On smaller flies I will sometimes use a Davy's knot.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:17 AM

Adherent to the K.I.S.S. Principle here... improved cinch and surgeon's loop
Old 09-23-2013, 05:43 PM

Went to Hermitage on Sunday fishing from shore using a number of chronomid patterns. Had great success caught close to 40 fish all a decent size had a great time. Going there tomorrow to teach a young fellow how to cast his new fly rod should be fun.

I also tried some new thread type furled leaders I made last week. These things are fantastic I don't think I will go back to a level line leader I am impressed.

Take Care gentlemen I appreciate all your help it has been educational.