Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-22-2013, 08:30 PM

Default Net recommendations

I was out on the bow just upstream of Edworthy today, fishing a boatman pattern under a hopper. It was fairly slow until I stumbled upon a decent run, and hooked into a decent sized brown fairly quickly. As I was reeling him in, i realized that with an 11 ft leader, he was going to be hard to land without a net, which I do not have. I reeled in until my leader was just outside the tip guide, then reached for the leader to try to pull the fish in. As soon as i got ahold of it, he thrashed, breaking off both flies and getting away.

I had never really considered a net necessary before, because I had always either had someone to help or just beached the fish, but I was too far out for that, and I was alone today.

What do you guys recommend for an affordable landing net? I have only really looked casually at them, and I am usually surprised at how expensive something so simple can be.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:39 PM

Rushton makes a nice nets.

www.rushtonlandingnets.com
Old 09-22-2013, 09:22 PM

I use a cabelas branded net. It's not fancy, but for $15, I can swap it out every couple seasons.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymack View Post
I was out on the bow just upstream of Edworthy today, fishing a boatman pattern under a hopper. It was fairly slow until I stumbled upon a decent run, and hooked into a decent sized brown fairly quickly. As I was reeling him in, i realized that with an 11 ft leader, he was going to be hard to land without a net, which I do not have. I reeled in until my leader was just outside the tip guide, then reached for the leader to try to pull the fish in. As soon as i got ahold of it, he thrashed, breaking off both flies and getting away.

I had never really considered a net necessary before, because I had always either had someone to help or just beached the fish, but I was too far out for that, and I was alone today.

What do you guys recommend for an affordable landing net? I have only really looked casually at them, and I am usually surprised at how expensive something so simple can be.
I have the solitude San Juan with integrated measuring tape. It's just an awesome wood net and I didn't brake the bank. I got it at www.vemoflyfishing.com
Old 09-22-2013, 10:02 PM

I guess another question I would have is what is the difference between a cheap net and an expensive one? Just looking a little bit it seems that the expensive ones do feel more well made, but I seem to find it hard to justify such a high price.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymack View Post
I guess another question I would have is what is the difference between a cheap net and an expensive one? Just looking a little bit it seems that the expensive ones do feel more well made, but I seem to find it hard to justify such a high price.
A high priced net hurts the back of your head in a special way . all I would suggest is that you look at the rubber net style way easier on the fish.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:28 PM

A decent net can last a lifetime.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:44 PM

A lot of it is aesthetics and the quality of the build, however you do not need to spend a lot of money. The number 1 factor I would look at when buying a net is the type of mesh and ensure it's something that will be gentle on the fish. Beyond that, go for something you like!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
all I would suggest is that you look at the rubber net style way easier on the fish.
X2! don't rub the slime off of fish, and they don't end up blotchy and diseased looking from the scars that cheap nets can give them. I wish rubber nets were mandatory.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 09-23-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
X2! don't rub the slime off of fish, and they don't end up blotchy and diseased looking from the scars that cheap nets can give them. I wish rubber nets were mandatory.

The solitude has rubber net. good quality and the price was ok ($68). I really like it. Now i'm looking for one for my pontoon, a longer one but solitude doesn't make them.....what are you guys using on your pontoons?
Old 09-23-2013, 11:23 AM

rubber mesh is very important,being able to float is another good point.imo
Old 09-23-2013, 01:51 PM

Good on you. Getting a net is a good choice for both the fish and your gear. Beaching a fish is just a bad idea.

I have an expensive rubber mesh net. Turning the fish upside down and grabbing the fish through the net greatly increases the speed that I can remove the hook and get the fish back to the river with as little impact as possible.

The slime-save rubber mesh have 3 big advantages:
1. The fish is less affected by handling.
2. Hooks. You will get your hook stuck in your net. Even if the barbs are pushed down, there are still snags. it pops out of the rubber fairly easily; the cloth mesh is always an issue.
3. Smell. A quick dip in some soapy warm water and the rubber net is good to go. The cloth can clean too, just not as easily.

The more expensive nets tend to be handmade---that is worth something to me. The more expensive nets tend to last longer. I have friends that replace their nets every couple of years. Mine is 5 years old and just as good as the day I got it.