Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2023, 08:13 PM

Default UTV or 25HP tractor

Hey guys. I’m new to posting here, so sorry if this has been discussed a lot already..
I’m looking to finance something in the 35k$ range for moving snow and other things.
I am considering a Polaris Ranger 1000 crew with a blade so I can push snow (maybe?), and would also get tracks for putting around with the kids in the winter, and would also use it for ripping around crown land/getting to the river in the summer.
I’m also considering a Kioti cx2501 with a cab and snow blower for moving snow/ tilling, etc
I realize UTVs are not ideal for moving snow, but does it seem like a viable option in the Lloydminster area? Would this 25HP tractor even be enough in your opinions? What are your opinions? Snow removal is the #1 priority
Thanks
Old 04-14-2023, 08:40 PM

I would buy the UTV if you wanted to also use your machine for recreation.

If no recreation...
Pass on the tractor and go straight to the skid steer as they are not even in the same league. You should be able to find a decent skid steer for 35k that will hold its value much better than the tractor. With the optional attachments available for the skid you can easily pay for the machine if you are interested in that.
Old 04-14-2023, 08:41 PM

Seems to me you've got to nail down your priorities a bit and it will become clear. The tractor is the clear winner for snow removal, rototilling, general yard work while the SxS is the clear winner for ripping around on having fun.

If looking for a machine around the acreage, and you don't need a PTO, skid steer is the clear winner IMO. If you need a PTO, tractor is the winner, and a distant 3rd, unless looking for something fun, is the SxS.
Old 04-14-2023, 08:44 PM

Well I've got both. A CX2501 with cab and front blower will cost more like 40k. A rear blower is cheaper but tiring to look back especially with a cab. A ranger with blade will work initially until the snow gets hard and starts to pile up. The Ranger is more fun all around. I was also considering tracks but if you leave it outside they are difficult to start in cold weather. A tractor with FEL is always being used for pushing, pulling, lifting, mowing, tilling. Hard choice but if you keep looking you might be able to buy used ones. On an acreage an ideal tractor is usually in the 30hp range.
Old 04-14-2023, 08:48 PM

My vote goes to the tractor if you own a bit of acreage. If no land well the blade on the sxs would works Lloyd doesn’t get hammered with snow as many other places so as long as you push wide and keep up with it I think you’d be good.0
Old 04-14-2023, 08:59 PM

I have moved a lot of snow with an atv and you don’t need a 1000cc to do it. I used to clear my acreage with a Polaris 570 Ranger. I currently plow my sidewalks and my street in town with a Honda Pioneer 500.
If you are looking at that kind of money. Get a Yamaha Viking and get a Snow blower attachment for it.
Old 04-14-2023, 09:00 PM

We have a Kubota tractor with bucket and blade for the range. It moves the snow well here, and is also good for moving dirt,gravel etc. As a bonus, we use a 72" mower in summer.
Old 04-14-2023, 09:18 PM

Depending on how big your acreage is, I have a fair size yard to clear and probably 200 yards of driveway. I started out using my quad with a blade and walk behind snowblower then I found a good deal on a 35hp massey ferguson with cab that was a game changer. Nice and warm, good lighting, I have a rear blade that I wind row with and then use the bucket to pile up.
Old 04-14-2023, 10:50 PM

If I had 35k to spend and in your situation, I’d buy used and get both. SxS for fun and tractor for work. In alberta we typically dont get real big dumps of snow, so unless your driveway is particularly bad for drifting, I think a sxs would plow snow just fine all winter long. Financially, a tractor is a much safer bet to hold the value of your dollar. Every km you put on a SxS depreciates its value. It’s a tough choice. Best of luck.
Old 04-15-2023, 06:43 AM

We have used a Honda 500 foreman and pushed a lot of snow with it. Currently waiting on a new pioneer 1000 to replace it. Will be nice to have the box for around the acreage to haul stuff and for hunting. Would I love to have a tractor, yes, but it’s too much money for the use I would get out of it.
Old 04-15-2023, 07:06 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

given what your saying I would go with the side by side, getting tracks on it too will put well over the 35k mark though.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-15-2023, 07:28 AM

I have both, Yamaha Wolverine x4 and John Deere 1025r. My sxs was my first piece of equipment that I used for snow. Plow wide as you can because eventually snow gets hard and can't be moved. They work really well.

The tractor I didn't buy for snow removal, tired of rentals when I decided to get it. I only have the bucket on it and used it this year, works ok. A blade of some sort is better than the bucket.

If all you want is something to move snow then sxs will work fine. The recreational benefits are nice. We use ours lots in the winter to go down creek to lake with kids and friends.

The tractor I have is all in one yard machine for me. I use it lots, because its lighter more lawn friendly. It's my mower. Front loader with bucket and forks is my help that I don't have to ask for. Rear box blade for gravel driveway maintenance . I found a good deal on a 3 point sprayer that will save me lots of time compared to backpack sprayer . Very versatile piece of equipment.
Old 04-15-2023, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I have moved a lot of snow with an atv and you don’t need a 1000cc to do it. I used to clear my acreage with a Polaris 570 Ranger. I currently plow my sidewalks and my street in town with a Honda Pioneer 500.
If you are looking at that kind of money. Get a Yamaha Viking and get a Snow blower attachment for it.
Thanks
What kind of snowblower goes on a SxS?
Old 04-15-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman731 View Post
Thanks
Here is a website showing a couple different makes .

https://www.kimpex.com/en-ca/product...es/snowblowers
Old 04-15-2023, 07:51 AM

I picked up a new 33 horse Kubota a few years ago with a FEL, backhoe, blade, box blade and bale spear. Invaluable piece of equipment for the acreage now.
Skid steers are great but for a small acreage I think a tractor is a better option due to larger implement choices, less damage to turf and lower initial cost

UTV will be ok for moving snow but not in the same class as the tractor or near as versatile but as mentioned above the UTV would be great in the bush on the weekends or for use during hunting season…
Old 04-15-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman731 View Post
Thanks
Biggest thing I found with using a snow blower, if you have gravel make sure you have a good base otherwise your throwing rocks. Even for my place with blading, I built a steel roller that I pull behind the quad. First couple snow falls I run the roller and build a nice base.
Old 04-15-2023, 09:22 AM

A $3000 blade for your pick up truck will move more snow than ALL the other toys combined. PS Your are nice and warm in cab listing to your favorite music and truck starts every day.
Old 04-15-2023, 02:28 PM

You can still find Japanese "Grey Market" tractors which are about 15 years old and salvage from Japan.

I cannot find the website for Good Used Tractors from Onoway, but they sold Grey Market Kubotas with a bucket and tiller, typically under 30 HP.

The units are low hours as they are used for dry season preparation for rice farms in Japan, and then sit for the rainy season.

I have what is the 2900 LT which is a bigger 30 HP Acreage Tractor. Under $10 K and alot of flexibility for snow clearing, tilling, mowing, gravel loading and spreading, etc.

Trouble with a SXS is it is and always is a compromise.

You will have plenty left over by going used with an Acreage class Tractor, and getting the toy that you also want.

At the end of the day, the tractor will hold its value for re sale and is built to do the work.

Take out a trans axle on the SXS pushing snow and you pay $1 K for the repair.

Drewski
Old 04-15-2023, 06:11 PM

I’ll give some perspective. I live on a heavily treed 40 acres. Needed a unit for basic chores and road maintenance. I have 500 meters of driveway. I have been using a Ranger 800 side by side. It has been ok. Plowing is marginal with my road getting pretty narrow this winter. I am fortunate I don’t have to deal with snow drifts. If drifts will be a reality for you the side by side will not be enough

Old 04-16-2023, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Here is a website showing a couple different makes .

https://www.kimpex.com/en-ca/product...es/snowblowers
I just look at the prices and gag.....major sticker shock.
Old 04-16-2023, 09:58 AM

On one of my tractors I have a hydraulically operated 72 inch blower mounted on the front end loader. I found an 8 ft V-blade and used it this winter. Each half can be positioned in different positions. Most fun I've had moving snow. Used the forward V the most.

Tags
kioti, polaris, ranger, snow, tractor