Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2020, 05:51 PM

Like to hear more about that cody. Could you please tell me what freedoms are being taken away?

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 02-24-2020 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
In any “movement” there’s some leader telling everyone else what and how to think. All the followers are just sheep with an axe to grind but sheep nonetheless.

If it’s called revolutionary it really isn’t. Just a case of: “The King is dead, long live the King.” We need to appreciate our own flawed form of democracy for as long as it lasts. It’s just a matter of time until some manipulative, power hungry guy comes along, blames all our problems in someone else and convinces some extremists that only he can solve all our problems.

People really just need to think for themselves and avoid the self-appointed leaders.

bolding mine
I see

Personally I think Orwell's quote is crap. I prefer this dialogue:

Gracchus : And after your glorious coup, what then? You take your five thousand and... leave?

Maximus : Yes, I will leave. The soldiers will stay here for your protection, under the guidance of the Senate.

Gracchus : So, after Rome's all yours, you just give it back to the people. Tell me why.

Maximus : Because that was a dying man's last wish. I will kill Commodus. The fate of Rome, I leave to you.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Like to hear more about that cody. Could you please tell me what freedoms are being taken away?
The freedom to find decent employment for but one..... The freedom to pay off the mortgage that you signed onto when there was a government that wasn't busy stabbing your entire industry in the back. I can't even imagine how many people are under financial duress due simply to political policy rendering them unemployed, rather than anything to do with global market forces.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The freedom to find decent employment for but one..... The freedom to pay off the mortgage that you signed onto when there was a government that wasn't busy stabbing your entire industry in the back. I can't even imagine how many people are under financial duress due simply to political policy rendering them unemployed, rather than anything to do with global market forces.
Thanks for the answer Cody.

Sounds like you might have some grievances. But you have the freedom to go find other employment. Harsh but true.

When people moved here for the boom, they came from places where things were not going so well job wise. Just saying.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 02-24-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the answer Cody.

Sounds like you might have some grievances. But you have the freedom to go find other employment. Harsh but true.
Nope, just harsh. You imagine that there are jobs for everyone if only they would be humble & take whatever was available, but with fewer jobs in a major industry comes less spending money in the economy overall and that results in fewer jobs elsewhere. Say when times are tough, people eat out less frequently and restaurant service staff get laid off. Retail workers get fired. The lawn maintenance crews get fewer jobs because their clients are trimming costs and doing it themselves. People can't wish themselves a job.

I'm concerned with the trickle down effect. You seem oblivious to the fact that lots of good jobs support many more people indirectly. The capital from all of those O&G workers gets spent all over, from homes and vehicles to dining and clothing, tourism and sports. A person with a job supports many others. You seem utterly oblivious to this simple fact. BTW, I'm self-employed but I see how this effects many of my clients, friends and family. There would be more $$ for me if there was more employment for others.

I'm curious what your occupation is if you're so insensitive to others being gainfully employed. This is not the buggy whip industry we're talking about, there is huge global demand for energy and that demand will remain for decades, certainly well beyond our lifetimes.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:48 PM

Not against oil and gas. Cant wait for it to improve.

As I said your grievances are real. But thats what they are.

I wouldnt call them freedoms however, which is what I asked for.

Seen oil crash a couple times. Never pretty.

Went from 1.5 million or so to over 4 million in relatively short span.

Personally I liked Alberta better when we had 1.5 million people.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:24 PM
Banned

I'm asking for a "friend"....Will Sparkle Socks give Alberta a special financial package now?? Like he mentioned last week
Old 02-24-2020, 07:38 PM

I'll agree that I too liked Alberta when we had a smaller population, the current trajectory of Calgary is not an improvement, I suspect that Edmonton is no different. Even the formerly quaint bedroom communities such as Okotoks, Airdrie and Cochrane have all lost something as they grew. The irony is not lost on me that I used to think it would be great when the city got over a million population... clearly I was incorrect.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:

I'm concerned with the trickle down effect. You seem oblivious to the fact that lots of good jobs support many more people indirectly. The capital from all of those O&G workers gets spent all over, from homes and vehicles to dining and clothing, tourism and sports. A person with a job supports many others. You seem utterly oblivious to this simple fact. BTW, I'm self-employed but I see how this effects many of my clients, friends and family. There would be more $$ for me if there was more employment for others.
In 08 when my rig was slow and I wasn't working much I was told by a house framer that "Its your own fault for getting into an industry like oil and gas just for the money. Its too unreliable and people always need houses"

I ran into the same guy a while later. He was looking for a job, wondering if the rig was hiring...
Old 02-24-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-24-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Caber, Is Cody your new name??

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-24-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Nope, just harsh. You imagine that there are jobs for everyone if only they would be humble & take whatever was available, but with fewer jobs in a major industry comes less spending money in the economy overall and that results in fewer jobs elsewhere. Say when times are tough, people eat out less frequently and restaurant service staff get laid off. Retail workers get fired. The lawn maintenance crews get fewer jobs because their clients are trimming costs and doing it themselves. People can't wish themselves a job.

I'm curious what your occupation is if you're so insensitive to others being gainfully employed. This is not the buggy whip industry we're talking about, there is huge global demand for energy and that demand will remain for decades, certainly well beyond our lifetimes.
Far too many people earn income here off the backs of the oil sector and then take regular trips to Las Vegas, Hawaii, Europe etc.

They basically strip the hard earned wealth out of the province. It only comes back here by selling off more oil assets.

The more wealth we give away the more oil we have to liquidate. We’re so dependent on it to maintain our carefree lifestyles that we continue to pump it out even at insanely low give away fire sale prices rather than locking in their in the ground until prices recover.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohn87 View Post
US environmental groups are funding the protestors. Why would Russia care? They want something built they do it, they don’t need to spend a decade conjuring up ways to satisfy every special interest minority group.
Theres no way I can teach you to read the news today tbh. But if you ever feel like expanding just look up how much influence Russia has everywhere and their troll farms are particularly interesting.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Caber, Is Cody your new name??
Nope, just offering my 2 cents in the question posed to Cody, public discussion and all that...
Old 02-24-2020, 09:35 PM

When I speak of freedoms being taken away the first one I think of is firearm ownership. When the federal government is talking about banning and confiscating legal firearms from law abiding gun owners how is that not an infringement on our freedom? Some people may not care but this is a big deal to me. Why does our government want to disarm us? everyone knows it will do nothing to stop crime.
I also feel that freedom of speech is slowly coming under attack as well. To dare criticize immigration policy is to be labelled a racist. What’s that saying?, if you want to make a conservative mad, lie to them, if you want to make a liberal mad, tell them the truth. The federal govt has given hundreds of millions of dollars to the media, how are they to be even remotely impartial when they are bought and paid for. Recently the federal govt was also talking about monitoring online news content and trying to limit online news to only news outlets that meet their approval. When the Liberals won the 2016 election they had google immediately delete a pile of search results for Stephen Harper. I guess they didn’t want anyone doing their own fact checking. Looks to me like some people would like to control what we can say and what type of information we have access to.
I have a problem with all this stuff, maybe Liberal voters don’t.

By the way I am primarily involved in agriculture so I’m not looking to move anywhere for work, but I definitely have sympathy for any fellow Albertans who have lost their jobs.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
We arent just supposed to remember those that died

We are supposed to remember WHY they died

I dont believe we do. Our current government is pounding this country into the ground. I believe they are as bad as anything we have ever seen.

Its easy to live on, relying on the memory of what happened "over there, a long time ago"

Well, its happening here and now. So, what are we gonna do about it?

I dont believe the conservatives are any better. I know the NDP are a lot worse. We need to explore our other options. We cant keep eating the garbage we are being fed. Its killing us.

Its not simply a matter of replacing them with another group of idiots.

Ive walked the halls of Parliament, observing the grand pictures of these so called leaders of the present and past. It turned my guts. They believe they have been immortalized by such a thing. Id like to see them proved wrong.

The pendulum should stay close to center. Ours swings like it has been drop kicked.
you two are missing my point...a long time ago is going on now as we speak with regards to our troops not to the same scale... so you carry on and rant about your hardships, the guberment etc and I fully understand that some don't give a ratz ass about the sacrifices past, present and in the future but many do and are extremely grateful so leave Remembrance day out of your mix of rants about everything wrong...all I ask.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-25-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Why does our government want to disarm us? everyone knows it will do nothing to stop crime.

if you want to make a conservative mad, lie to them, if you want to make a liberal mad, tell them the truth.

The federal govt has given hundreds of millions of dollars to the media, how are they to be even remotely impartial when they are bought and paid for.

When the Liberals won the 2016 election they had google immediately delete a pile of search results for Stephen Harper.
This entire thread raises so many questions and issues that I don't know where to begin. I will start with this post by cody.

You and I know that proposed gun legislation will not stop crime. However, some people think it will and the Liberals want their votes. That, I think, is why the proposals have been made.

Can you provide links that describe the media subsidies referred to? I was totally unaware, except in the case of the CBC and some recent assistance for newspapers.

Again please provide links to Google doing as requested by the Liberals. How about the other search engines?

Thanks for any clarifications you can give me on these issues.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:25 AM

In 2019 the Liberals announced 600 million in funding over 5 years for news outlets deemed eligible by the govt. I thought this was well known, I don’t know how to post links but I’m sure if you do some googling you will find something, try- liberals give 600 million to media
Old 02-25-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
you two are missing my point...a long time ago is going on now as we speak with regards to our troops not to the same scale... so you carry on and rant about your hardships, the guberment etc and I fully understand that some don't give a ratz ass about the sacrifices past, present and in the future but many do and are extremely grateful so leave Remembrance day out of your mix of rants about everything wrong...all I ask.
You ask too much, but I admire the fact that you ask
Old 02-25-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
In 2019 the Liberals announced 600 million in funding over 5 years for news outlets deemed eligible by the govt. I thought this was well known, I don’t know how to post links but I’m sure if you do some googling you will find something, try- liberals give 600 million to media
I thought that was tax credits not funding. Even if it was direct funding, is there any indication that the government will restrict funding depending on the political bent of the medium in question?

In any case, Reuters, AP and others are not Canadian so will not receive the support. There will still be lots of information available, or am I missing something?

How about Google doing the Liberals' bidding? Is this even possible?

Do you believe that other search engines were involved?

Thanks for your replies.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:02 AM

There is multiple news sources from 2016 that talk about the google thing, I’m sure sure of the extent but google does have some ties to the Trudeau foundation
Old 02-25-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
There is multiple news sources from 2016 that talk about the google thing, I’m sure sure of the extent but google does have some ties to the Trudeau foundation
I didn't remember the Google deletions. I did a quick search (Google of course ) but I don't see why you say that fact checking was involved. How did updating the websites affect this?

Would this make any difference on any other search engines? I'm not sure how websites vs search engines all plays out.

I'm going to keep looking on the web, but I do appreciate your clarifications.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I cannot find anything that indicates the Trudeau Foundation is anything except a charitable organization. What more information do you have?

What kind of link between the two would benefit Google or the Foundation? I'd really appreciate some more information on this.

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
I cannot find anything that indicates the Trudeau Foundation is anything except a charitable organization. What more information do you have?

What kind of link between the two would benefit Google or the Foundation? I'd really appreciate some more information on this.

Thanks.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nationa...ysis-shows/amp

https://capforcanada.com/900000-gift...ian-history-2/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...ticle33014375/
Old 02-25-2020, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the reply Kurt.

I found #1 and #3 earlier. They question Justin's ethics but not the Foundation itself. There are lots of indications that Justin doesn't spend a lot of time thinking about ethics but the original question was about the Foundation itself and particularly its links to Google.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:

I found #1 and #3 earlier. They question Justin's ethics but not the Foundation itself. There are lots of indications that Justin doesn't spend a lot of time thinking about ethics but the original question was about the Foundation itself and particularly its links to Google.
If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s now a swan.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:

I know it’s the rebel but you won’t find dirt on justin in any liberal rag.

https://www.therebel.media/why_do_fr...ral_government
Old 02-25-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s now a swan.
I think I'm missing something. Kurt and cody, are you suggesting that the Trudeau Foundation is more than a charitable organization. What kinds of things is it doing?

I'm also puzzled by the references to Google. What are the Liberals actually being accused of hiding? How could Google hide things from other search engines? Maybe I just don't understand how the search engines work.

Thanks for continuing to help.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I think I'm missing something. Kurt and cody, are you suggesting that the Trudeau Foundation is more than a charitable organization. What kinds of things is it doing?

I'm also puzzled by the references to Google. What are the Liberals actually being accused of hiding? How could Google hide things from other search engines? Maybe I just don't understand how the search engines work.

Thanks for continuing to help.
Take a look here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeNB...iiAJO4y4USmQbG
Old 02-25-2020, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Sk270, listen what’s said right around 17:20 of the video.