Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-16-2024, 11:10 PM

Default Fluting...

If you taKe a gun that shoots 0.5 " all day and get a smith to cut flutes in the barrel could it change the hamonics and change the way this gun shoots?
Old 06-17-2024, 04:55 AM

Yes , there is always that potential.
Old 06-17-2024, 06:14 AM

It can change which load a rifle prefers, and I find that it can make lighter contour barrels more fussy as to loads.
Old 06-17-2024, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
If you taKe a gun that shoots 0.5 " all day and get a smith to cut flutes in the barrel could it change the hamonics and change the way this gun shoots?
Yes it certainly could, if it shoots 0.5" all day long now I wouldn't mess with it

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 06-17-2024, 07:44 AM

Ok thanks . I wont mess with it then. . I kind of thought so. It only makes sense.
Old 06-17-2024, 08:45 AM

As said above, anything that changes the harmonics could effect accuracy. It could also make it even more accurate while looking nice, plus has other advantages like lighter weight, faster cooling. Etc
Old 06-17-2024, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Ok thanks . I wont mess with it then. . I kind of thought so. It only makes sense.
It isn't worth a few ounces, and the smaller the barrel contour, the less you can remove, and the less you save in weight. I have had two rifles built with fluted barrels, both heavier contour, where more material can be removed, so you end up with a more rigid barrel, than a lighter contour non fluted barrel that weighs the same. On a standard #3 barrel, common with many magnum sporter rifles, the weight reduction is very little, on a #2 barrel, like many factory sporting rifles, like many of the Mark V , or Browning rifles, the weight savings is even less.
Old 06-17-2024, 02:09 PM

Has it been proven that a fluted barrel cools quicker ?
Old 06-17-2024, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I have never seen any definitive tests either way, but I would not bother if the rifle is already shooting well.
The vast majority of barrel makers I have talked to however say it is nothing more than cosmetic.
Cat
Old 06-17-2024, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
With a greater surface area, stands to reason it would cooler faster (with less metal, also stands to reason it would heat up faster though). Same theory as a radiator. Unless you're shooting alot, much more than a typical sporting rifle, I'd suspect it makes no practical difference however.

Guess it makes the rifle lighter as well, but I'd suggest most get it done purely due to cosmetics.
Old 06-17-2024, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
With a greater surface area, stands to reason it would cooler faster. Same theory as a radiator.
I think most flutes are not thin enough to offer a great amount of cooling as in the cylinder heads on a bike , at least a reasonable amount of time that could be noticed.
Personally speaking, on a hunting rifle it has never been an issue for me, as I zero my guns and practice with them in three shot strings . Most hunting scenarios are one and done anyway.
On my match rifles, no amount of fluting is going to let a barrel cool down fast enough in a 10 round relay from the first to the last shot even when shooting three shooters to a target , the barrel has to be as accurate throughout the full 10 ( or in some cases 15) shots .
Cat
Old 06-17-2024, 03:01 PM

If you foogle search around you will find some guys that have done test to see the cooling effect. The result they came up with is that it is not worth the bother .
Old 06-17-2024, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have never seen any definitive tests either way, but I would not bother if the rifle is already shooting well.
The vast majority of barrel makers I have talked to however say it is nothing more than cosmetic.
Cat
😁😁

Was going to be for cosmetics
Old 06-17-2024, 04:08 PM

I have a T3 super lite in .308. I had it to the range a few times to pick a load and finally zero.
Next range day, I took one shot to verify 1st shot impacted where I wanted, and it did.
I then took two more shots and I was under 1moa. Happy. Shot 4 without cooling was an inch out, and 5th shot inch out and higher.
Let the barrel cool to touch, next shot was good, did that 5 times, cooled to approximately the same temp (according to my hand). All shots were very close to same impact.
Shot 5 no cooling, for fun, first three were ok but spreading 4 and 5 looked like I pulled them (I didn"t).
So my limited fussing around with this rifle is that it will tolerate 3 in a row, 4 and 5 will kill a deer at 200 but whoh knows where in the lungs that goes.
If once again I let it cool, I can dial up 3, 4 and 500 yards first shot impacts on a 4 inch gong. I guess this barrel likes to be cold or cool to the touch which is fine by me.
Just my findings with this rifle.

Tullfan
Old 06-24-2024, 11:50 AM

Well... my 300 Weatherby Mag is in at the gunsmith gettingg bead blasting done, trigger replacement, muzzlebrake manufactured for it with a cap. And possibly glass bedded if it can use it.

....... im still on the fence for fluting it. I have a little time to decide.... but purely for cosmetics.

Curious i notice. Some spiral fluting on some factory rifles go left some go right. Im assuming direction of fluting would have zero effect on bullet flight or harmonics? I was thinking straight fluting as it would keep the guns classic look with the stainless metal in a black /grey peppered laminate stock. But those spiral flutes are pretty sexy
Old 06-24-2024, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Some spiral fluting on some factory rifles go left some go right.
Right-handed fluting is designed for the rifle to be fired in the Northern hemisphere......left for the south.......I think.....
Old 06-24-2024, 01:34 PM

Absolutely the most finicky rifle that I have developed loads for, had a lighter contour barrel with spiral fluting. I did have one rifle wirh spiral fluting that shot well, but it was a heavy contour barrel.
Old 06-24-2024, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
Right-handed fluting is designed for the rifle to be fired in the Northern hemisphere......left for the south.......I think.....
I just don't get the connection between Fluting and Rifling. ... unless you were joking.
Old 06-24-2024, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
I just don't get the connection between Fluting and Rifling. ... unless you were joking.
Yup, just my attempt at humor, sorry.
Old 06-24-2024, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Well... my 300 Weatherby Mag is in at the gunsmith gettingg bead blasting done, trigger replacement, muzzlebrake manufactured for it with a cap. And possibly glass bedded if it can use it.

....... im still on the fence for fluting it. I have a little time to decide.... but purely for cosmetics.

Curious i notice. Some spiral fluting on some factory rifles go left some go right. Im assuming direction of fluting would have zero effect on bullet flight or harmonics? I was thinking straight fluting as it would keep the guns classic look with the stainless metal in a black /grey peppered laminate stock. But those spiral flutes are pretty sexy
You might as well flute it now. The muzzle break is going to mess with it anyway. You may be back to the drawing board regardless

-Billy Molls
Old 06-24-2024, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
You might as well flute it now. The muzzle break is going to mess with it anyway. You may be back to the drawing board regardless
Makes sense. Ill call tomorrow lol
Old 06-24-2024, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
It can counteract the coriolis affect, or make it worse depending on the direction you are shooting.
Old 06-25-2024, 01:37 AM

Quote:

Well... my 300 Weatherby Mag is in at the gunsmith getting bead blasting done, trigger replacement, muzzlebrake manufactured for it with a cap. And possibly glass bedded if it can use it.
Do you mind sharing which Smith is doing the work ? And why bead blasting ?

I ask about the blasting because most Coatings manufacturers recommend aluminum oxide and to not use beads. If you doing Cerakote or something.

Cheers
Old 06-25-2024, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Do you mind sharing which Smith is doing the work ? And why bead blasting ?

I ask about the blasting because most Coatings manufacturers recommend aluminum oxide and to not use beads. If you doing Cerakote or something.

Cheers
I acquired the rifle from a friend and this rifle was used on my sons first moose hunt so has alot of sentimental value to me, im very OCD. So any marks and safe kisses bother me. So the smith is going to make all the metal brand new again. Im Sure to most people.It wouldn't be an issue but I don't own a rifle with a mark on it and keep them that way on purpose as i baby them. Just my own quirk.

I also don't need a brake on it, but i am mid 40s and i would like to shoot it until im dead, and its also going to have a threaded cap if i chose not to use the brake.

I decided to go with PR Precision.
Old 06-25-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:

So the smith is going to make all the metal brand new again...
Using which process / product ?

Cheers !
Old 07-19-2024, 07:58 PM

Default curious

wondering if glass bedding a rifle can the harmonics of the rifle,its a very accurate rifle as is,is it even worth bedding ?tks
Old 07-19-2024, 08:02 PM

I’ve not run into a rifle yet that shot worse after bedding/floating it but I don’t have any pencil thin mountain rifles. If the accuracy is good and consistent I wouldn’t likely mess with it.
Old 07-19-2024, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
wondering if glass bedding a rifle can the harmonics of the rifle,its a very accurate rifle as is,is it even worth bedding ?tks
If a rifle shoots great, I don't mess with it.