Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-13-2018, 11:31 AM

Default Insurance coverage for shuttle drivers

So I will start up a new thread for this one (and quote the previous discussion)

My initial comments:

Be sure to add (each) shuttle driver (as casual drivers) to your personal auto policy! Most (if not all) personal auto policies will NOT cover you (Nor will the Shuttle company's insurance) if another driver (shuttle driver) gets into an accident driving your vehicle (even with your permission). If not, you will pay out of pocket!

Dave P's Response:

Ummmm no. Shuttle company would have an Garage Policy that covers vehicles they are in the Care, Custody, And Control of.

No different than leaving your vehicle at a repair shop or dealership.

You definitely do not have to add there drivers to your personal lines policy.

-Confucius
Old 03-13-2018, 11:41 AM

In speaking with an insurance provider recently (about 5 seconds ago, actually - Cooperators in Calgary)

I guess I should have quantified my previous info...

It all depends on how often you have a shuttle company drive your vehicle!!

If it's a "one off" or a few times a season, then yes a Shuttle company's "Garage Policy" will (should) cover you (but not all garage policies will and some are better then others - depends on the specifics of their policy)...

If it's on a "semi regular basis" (defined a little differently between companies), then it's in your best interest to have the driver added (their "exposer rating" reviewed) as a casual/part-time driver on your policy.

Either way, anyone using a shuttle service should review this type of scenario with their insurance provider, just to cover your b u t t.

P

-Confucius

Last edited by ÜberFly; 03-13-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:59 PM

I hate arguing on the internet, and I fully support understanding your insurance policy. It never hurts to ask a provider about their policy. But I do suggest you get a new broker. In Alberta, every insurance company uses the Standard SPF 4 Garage Policy. I just can’t think of a scenario where a Shuttle Company would not have one. Its main purpose is to cover vehicles their your care, custody, and control. I don’t even think you can have a Garage Policy that excludes customers vehicles as it would make the policy redundant. The only time there might be no coverage, is if an shuttle company employee where to steal your car.

And no real personal insurer is adding the “lot guys” to the policy. Makes zero sense. If anything they would pay you out (as you are a good client), and subrogate against the Shuttle company. No chance they assume that risk (they are an insurance company you know haha)

But good on you for thinking about it and having a discussion with your broker. That’s 90% more than most people.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:03 PM
Banned

Interesting...some homework for me.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:45 AM

In order to do that wouldn't you need the name and info of the shuttle driver which can change on a daily if not each shuttle basis.